X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

The Exile Nation

Posted this in the movies section, but because it's so political I'm posting it in here as well... that way nobody misses it. I've watched it, and found it thought-provoking the various connections that were made between drugs, race, the civil rights movement and so on...

The Land of the Free punishes or imprisons more of its citizens than any other nation. This collection of testimonials from criminal offenders, family members, and experts on America’s criminal justice system puts a human face on the millions of Americans subjugated by the US Government’s 40 year, one trillion dollar social catastrophe: The War on Drugs; a failed policy underscored by fear, politics, racial prejudice and intolerance in a public atmosphere of out of sight, out of mind.
    The United States has only 5% of the world’s population, yet a full 25% of the world’s prisoners. At 2.5 million, the US has more prisoners than even China does with five times the population of the United States. 8 million Americans (1 in every 31) languish under some form of state monitoring known as correctional supervision. On top of that, the security and livelihood of over 13 million more has been forever altered by a felony conviction.
    The American use of punishment is so pervasive, and so disproportionate, that even the conservative magazine The Economist declared in 2010, never in the civilized world have so many been locked up for so little.
    The project will unfold over a two year period, beginning with the release of this feature-length documentary and then continuing on with the release of short films and complete interviews from each of the 100 participants in the project, meant to represent the 1 in 100 Americans that are currently sitting behind bars.

It was fun while it lasted...
  • runningman
    Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
    • Jun 2004

Re: The Exile Nation

welcome to the dark side Florida

Comment

• floridaorange
      • Dec 2005

^

Just because I don't engage in 90% of your conspiracies does not mean I am uniformed on the subject of sociology or social sciences for that matter. I have plenty of firmly rooted beliefs I choose not to waste my time discussing on mercury server.

peace

Comment

• floridaorange
        • Dec 2005

PRINT
        Back to story

Major panel: Drug war failed; legalize marijuana

By JONATHAN M. KATZ, Associated Press
        Wed Jun 1, 9:02 pm ET

NEW YORK – The global war on drugs has failed and governments should explore legalizing marijuana and other controlled substances, according to a commission that includes former heads of state, a former U.N. secretary-general and a business mogul.
        A new report by the Global Commission on Drug Policy argues that the decades-old "global war on drugs has failed, with devastating consequences for individuals and societies around the world." The 24-page paper will be released Thursday.
        "Political leaders and public figures should have the courage to articulate publicly what many of them acknowledge privately: that the evidence overwhelmingly demonstrates that repressive strategies will not solve the drug problem, and that the war on drugs has not, and cannot, be won," the report said.
        The 19-member commission includes former U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan and former U.S. official George P. Schultz, who held cabinet posts under U.S. Presidents Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon. Others include former U.S. Federal Reserve chairman Paul Volcker, former presidents of Mexico, Brazil and Colombia, writers Carlos Fuentes and Mario Vargas Llosa, U.K. business mogul Richard Branson and the current prime minister of Greece.
        Instead of punishing users who the report says "do no harm to others," the commission argues that governments should end criminalization of drug use, experiment with legal models that would undermine organized crime syndicates and offer health and treatment services for drug-users in need.
        The commission called for drug policies based on methods empirically proven to reduce crime, lead to better health and promote economic and social development.
        The commission is especially critical of the United States, which its members say must lead changing its anti-drug policies from being guided by anti-crime approaches to ones rooted in healthcare and human rights.
        "We hope this country (the U.S.) at least starts to think there are alternatives," former Colombian president Cesar Gaviria told The Associated Press by phone. "We don't see the U.S. evolving in a way that is complatible with our (countries') long-term interests."
        The office of White House drug czar Gil Kerlikowske said the report was misguided.
        "Drug addiction is a disease that can be successfully prevented and treated. Making drugs more available — as this report suggests — will make it harder to keep our communities healthy and safe," Office of National Drug Control Policy spokesman Rafael Lemaitre said.
        That office cites statistics showing declines in U.S. drug use compared to 30 years ago, along with a more recent 46 percent drop in current cocaine use among young adults over the last five years.
        The report cited U.N. estimates that opiate use increased 34.5 percent worldwide and cocaine 27 percent from 1998 to 2008, while the use of cannabis, or marijuana, was up 8.5 percent.
        Copyright © 2011 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.Questions or CommentsPrivacy PolicyAbout Our AdsTerms of ServiceCopyright/IP Policy

Comment

• Shpira
          Angry Boy Child
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by floridaorange
          ^

Just because I don't engage in 90% of your conspiracies does not mean I am uniformed on the subject of sociology or social sciences for that matter. I have plenty of firmly rooted beliefs I choose not to waste my time discussing on mercury server.

peace
          really?? So your clever on your own? hehe
          I have no "firmly rooted beliefs"...hence the constant discussion. . .always new info to know and view points to see.

p.s. looks interesting will watch tonight
          The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
          Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• floridaorange
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Shpira
            really?? So your clever on your own? hehe
            I have no "firmly rooted beliefs"...hence the constant discussion. . .always new info to know and view points to see.

p.s. looks interesting will watch tonight
            Firmly rooted meaning unpopular opinions about society, privilege, laws, responsibility, public service.

Comment

• res0nat0r
              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
              • May 2006

cia

Comment

• Shpira
                Angry Boy Child
                • Oct 2006

crack?
                The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
                Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• vinnie97
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jul 2007

There are pros (tax revenue) and cons (further addiction, long-term health effects) to every action...illicit drug legalization is no different. The root of the issue, why people need mind-altering substances to reach fulfillment, points to an even more cognizant philosophical question.

Comment

• Shpira
                    Angry Boy Child
                    • Oct 2006

I don't think its about "reaching fulfilment"...for me its about altering my conciousness and seeing things in a new light. I think a good reset every 6 months to year does well to put everything in perspective.
                    The Idiots ARE Winning.

Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• bobjuice
                      Banned
                      • May 2008

Originally posted by floridaorange
                      Firmly rooted meaning unpopular opinions about society, privilege, laws, responsibility, public service.
                      Not sure what you mean there John ??

Comment

• runningman
                        Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
                        • Jun 2004

So Florida are you saying MS isn't worth your opinion?

Comment

Working...