Freedom of the Press or a Massive Coverup?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • face
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Freedom of the Press or a Massive Coverup?

what really saddens me is this: they mention a single paragraph about Robert Novak, in this whole article. Novak has refused to divulge whether he has been subpoenaed by the court to testify regarding his government sources. doesn't that sound just a tad bit fishy, coming from one of the administration's lap dogs?

so the question is: why are Judith Miller and Matthew Cooper in jail and Rober Novak isn't? The reason he won't say whether he was subpoenaed or not, is because he wasn't. nevertheless, Novak was the only one to actually PUBLISH anything that revealed Valerie Plame's identity. Miller and Cooper never even finished their stories, but somehow are in comtempt of court.

now what is wrong with that picture?

Judges Order 2 Reporters to Testify on Leak

By Carol D. Leonnig
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, February 16, 2005; Page A01

Reporters at the New York Times and Time magazine may be jailed if they continue to refuse to answer questions before a grand jury about their confidential conversations with government sources regarding the leak of a covert CIA officer's identity, a federal appeals court ruled yesterday.

The decision upholds a trial court's finding last year that Judith Miller of the New York Times and Matthew Cooper of Time magazine are in contempt of court and should be compelled to testify as part of an investigation into whether Bush administration officials knowingly leaked the name of CIA operative Valerie Plame in the summer of 2003.

The unanimous opinion was an expected but still painful blow for the reporters, their news organizations, other media and advocates of free speech. The three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled there is no First Amendment privilege that allows reporters to conceal information they gather from a criminal inquiry.

The 81-page ruling held out some hope for the media, with two judges suggesting that common law could shield journalists seeking to protect the identity of confidential sources in other situations.

The panel's decision is the first time in more than 30 years that a federal appeals court specifically addressed whether reporters can be forced to break their promise to unnamed sources when a prosecutor is trying to solve a crime.

Miller, 57, and Cooper, 42, have fought to quash subpoenas requiring them to answer questions from a special prosecutor. Plame's name first appeared in a July 14, 2003, syndicated column by Robert D. Novak, weeks after her husband, former ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV, criticized the Bush administration in a newspaper opinion piece.

Wilson had been asked by the CIA to visit Niger in 2002 to investigate reports that Iraq hoped to buy uranium for nuclear weapons. After returning, Wilson alleged that President Bush had exaggerated that evidence to justify going to war.

Novak's column said two unnamed administration officials had told him that Wilson's wife was a CIA "operative" and had helped arrange his trip to Niger.

A government official who knowingly identifies a covert operative could be in violation of the Intelligence Identities Protection Act. After a public uproar over the leak, the Justice Department appointed Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald to investigate.

According to the appellate court's opinion, Fitzgerald knows the identity of the person with whom Miller spoke and wants to question her about her contact with that "specified government official" on or about July 6, 2003. Miller never wrote a story on the subject.

In a statement, Fitzgerald said: "We look forward to resuming our progress in this investigation and bringing it to a prompt conclusion."

Prosecutors have questioned other journalists, including two from The Washington Post. Novak has refused to say whether he was subpoenaed to appear before the grand jury or has spoken with prosecutors.

Lawyers for the Times and Time said they will appeal the decision to the full appellate court and possibly to the Supreme Court and will seek a stay from the appellate court to keep the reporters out of jail while the case is pending.

Chief Judge Thomas F. Hogan found Miller and Cooper in contempt in October and had ordered the two detained for as long as 18 months or until the grand jury's term expires, whichever was shorter. The term is set to expire at the end of April but could be renewed.

"We are deeply dismayed at the U.S. Court of Appeals' decision to affirm holding Judith Miller in contempt, and at what it means for the American public's right to know," Times Publisher Arthur Ochs Sulzberger Jr. said in a statement. "If Judy is sent to jail for not revealing her confidential sources for an article that was never published, it would create a dangerous precedent that would erode the freedom of the press."

Reid Cox of the Center for Individual Freedom, which promotes access to information, said the decision will dry up reporters' access to sources and the public will suffer.

"Though we often say the public has a right to know, the press is the conduit for the public's knowledge," Cox said. "If reporters have to fear jail every time they get a confidential tip, we will all know less."

Twenty-five American journalists have been jailed over concealed sources and information since 1961. Freelance writer Vanessa Leggett, who in 2001 refused to divulge the sources of information in a book about a Texas man acquitted of hiring someone to kill his wife, served the longest sentence, 5 1/2 months.

In yesterday's ruling, the panel said the hope of Cooper and Miller to conceal information from Fitzgerald is similar to a Kentucky reporter's request in a criminal drug investigation in 1972. In that case, Branzburg v. Hayes, the Supreme Court ruled that the reporter, who witnessed members of a drug ring manufacturing hashish, could be compelled to reveal confidential sources crucial to solving the crime. The court found the First Amendment did not protect the journalist.

In that case, Judge David B. Sentelle wrote, "the Court stated that it could not 'seriously entertain the notion that the First Amendment protects a newsman's agreement to conceal the criminal conduct of his source . . . on the theory that it is better to write about a crime than to do something about it.' "

But two of the three judges said federal common law might protect journalists in other cases. Judge David S. Tatel, in a 41-page concurring opinion, wrote that the sources could remain confidential, "were the leak at issue in this case less harmful to national security or more vital to public debate."

Judge Karen LeCraft Henderson wrote a third concurring opinion.

Law professors and media lawyers said the judicial division demonstrates the need to clarify the law regarding when a reporter can fairly promise confidentiality and the need for Congress to adopt a federal shield law for journalists.

The Newspaper Association of America and other media organizations are supporting legislation that would put into law the Justice Department's 30-year-old guidelines on when to seek information from reporters. The legislation would provide an absolute privilege to reporters seeking to protect confidential sources and a qualified privilege for other unpublished information.

The appellate panel, citing secret evidence Fitzgerald had presented to them, said this case was different from the classic uncovering of wrongdoing by reporters relying on unnamed sources. Tatel wrote that the purpose of these government leaks, based on a story that Cooper wrote in the summer of 2003, appeared to be to smear a person who alleged the Bush administration exaggerated the strength of evidence justifying going to war with Iraq.

"While requiring Cooper to testify may discourage future leaks, discouraging leaks of this kind is precisely what the public interest requires," Tatel wrote.

DJ Mixes | Music Reviews | Podcast | iTunes Podcast | RSS Feed | SoundCloud
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

This is really my hot button. I think this whole thing with someone in the Bush admin leaking, and Novak reporting, that Plame was a CIA operative is one of the most obnoxious things the Bush administration has done. As I recall, she was outed -- something which one would think would have serious national security ramifications and could impact her personal safety, and Bush's reaction was, "Gee, I really hope we find out who leaked this. It'll be tough, though. I'm not real optimistic."

It's obvious to me (perhaps because my jaded ass doesn't trust the administration) that Plame was outed in retaliation for Wilson's criticism. I'm not saying that Bush ordered that it be done, necessarily, but I just don't believe that it happened without someone relatively high up knowing about it in advance. For all his bumbling, though, Bush does a great job of avoiding responsibility for much of anything and this seemed to me to be the ultimate example of him saying, "Bummer about what happened, but best of luck linking it back to me." It's just dirty pool.

In my opinion, anyone responsible for outing a CIA agent ought to be tried for treason. Those folks give up a lot for their country and risk their lives, and that's the payback they get?

[Edited to correct punctuation]

Comment

• thesightless
      Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
      • Jun 2004

either way, the first person to blame is the one who made it public, i.e. the author and the publisher.

they could have very well put her, her family and friends and any one else around her in jepordy. this is one of those things where you need to draw the line of a freedom to protect something else.
      your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
      download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• davetlv
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

Its easy to blame reporters for doing their jobs isn't it.

Even the least media savvy human being knows that with reporters there really is no such thing as 'off the record' - sure they might keep the sources hidden but if theres a story well. . .

If indeed Palme was 'outed' by someone in the administration this is a grave affair, one that puts operatives, from all nations, under a different kind of threat.

Thousands upon thousands of honest men and women put their lives at risk on a daily basis for their countries, if they're then 'sold-out' by their own side who are they to trust?

Comment

• face
          Getting Somewhere
          • Jun 2004

yeah the thing is that pat fitzgerald, who is running the investigation, has learned that a high up administration official leaked her name.

to whom, well we can assume at least Novak, Miller, and Cooper.

it's clear what is going on here. the important thing for the investigation is that all evidence and testimony be obtained by the book, so as to avoid any technicality-based closures.

it just really irritates me to see Novak get away with this. if Miller and Cooper know their sources, then surely Novak does too (he wrote the article).

in many states, there are laws that protect psychiatrists, priests, and doctors from divulging any confidential information with their patients/contacts/etc. from that perspective, i can see how the press should have the same sort of protection.

but when it violates the Intelligence Identities Protection Act, i think the story is different. national security has been compromised, not to mention the lives of all of Plame's assets and colleagues, and the millions of dollars and time spent to set up operations. for a government official to expose a covert operative is to commit high treason.

they may call it revenge; i call it treason.

Comment

• toasty
            Sir Toastiness
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by davetlv
            Its easy to blame reporters for doing their jobs isn't it.
            What is newsworthy about the identity of a CIA operative to a US audience? The existence of US spies is hardly newsworthy, and I don't think that knowing her identity makes it any more so. Novak ended her career and put her in jeopardy, and I can't think of any good reason for it. When we learn the identity of an enemy's spies, I say broadcast it to the world -- but when this jackass learns the identity of one of his own country's spies, he ought to exercise some fucking restraint. With that said, I'm less critical of Novak for writing it than I am of whomever leaked it in the first place.

Thousands upon thousands of honest men and women put their lives at risk on a daily basis for their countries, if they're then 'sold-out' by their own side who are they to trust?

Comment

• face
              Getting Somewhere
              • Jun 2004

agreed on novak's lack of judgment. just goes to show how loyal he is to the administration, knowing too well that he would escape any culpability.

and how the NYT let him publish this article is beyond comprehension. the editors surely had to have realized the ramifications of such acts...

Comment

• toasty
                Sir Toastiness
                • Jun 2004

Re: Freedom of the Press or a Massive Coverup?

This discussion inspired me to go back and take another look at Novak's article to see if there was any good reason to include that information in there. I've copied it below, with the portion about Plame in bold:

WASHINGTON -- The CIA's decision to send retired diplomat Joseph C. Wilson to Africa in February 2002 to investigate possible Iraqi purchases of uranium was made routinely at a low level without Director George Tenet's knowledge. Remarkably, this produced a political firestorm that has not yet subsided.

Wilson's report that an Iraqi purchase of uranium yellowcake from Niger was highly unlikely was regarded by the CIA as less than definitive, and it is doubtful Tenet ever saw it. Certainly, President Bush did not, prior to his 2003 State of the Union address, when he attributed reports of attempted uranium purchases to the British government. That the British relied on forged documents made Wilson's mission, nearly a year earlier, the basis of furious Democratic accusations of burying intelligence though the report was forgotten by the time the president spoke.

Reluctance at the White House to admit a mistake has led Democrats ever closer to saying the president lied the country into war. Even after a belated admission of error last Monday, finger-pointing between Bush administration agencies continued. Messages between Washington and the presidential entourage traveling in Africa hashed over the mission to Niger.

Wilson's mission was created after an early 2002 report by the Italian intelligence service about attempted uranium purchases from Niger, derived from forged documents prepared by what the CIA calls a "con man." This misinformation, peddled by Italian journalists, spread through the U.S. government. The White House, State Department and Pentagon, and not just Vice President Dick Cheney, asked the CIA to look into it.

That's where Joe Wilson came in. His first public notice had come in 1991 after 15 years as a Foreign Service officer when, as U.S. charge in Baghdad, he risked his life to shelter in the embassy some 800 Americans from Saddam Hussein's wrath. My partner Rowland Evans reported from the Iraqi capital in our column that Wilson showed "the stuff of heroism." President George H.W. Bush the next year named him ambassador to Gabon, and President Bill Clinton put him in charge of African affairs at the National Security Council until his retirement in 1998.

Wilson never worked for the CIA, but his wife, Valerie Plame, is an Agency operative on weapons of mass destruction. Two senior administration officials told me Wilson's wife suggested sending him to Niger to investigate the Italian report. The CIA says its counter-proliferation officials selected Wilson and asked his wife to contact him. "I will not answer any question about my wife," Wilson told me.

After eight days in the Niger capital of Niamey (where he once served), Wilson made an oral report in Langley that an Iraqi uranium purchase was "highly unlikely," though he also mentioned in passing that a 1988 Iraqi delegation tried to establish commercial contacts. CIA officials did not regard Wilson's intelligence as definitive, being based primarily on what the Niger officials told him and probably would have claimed under any circumstances. The CIA report of Wilson's briefing remains classified.

All this was forgotten until reporter Walter Pincus revealed in the Washington Post June 12 that an unnamed retired diplomat had given the CIA a negative report. Not until Wilson went public on July 6, however, did his finding ignite the firestorm.

During the run-up to the invasion of Iraq, Wilson had taken a measured public position -- viewing weapons of mass destruction as a danger but considering military action as a last resort. He has seemed much more critical of the administration since revealing his role in Niger. In the Washington Post July 6, he talked about the Bush team "misrepresenting the facts," asking: "What else are they lying about?"

After the White House admitted error, Wilson declined all television and radio interviews. "The story was never me," he told me, "it was always the statement in (Bush's) speech." The story, actually, is whether the administration deliberately ignored Wilson's advice, and that requires scrutinizing the CIA summary of what their envoy reported. The Agency never before has declassified that kind of information, but the White House would like it to do just that now -- in its and in the public's interest.
                Townhall is the leading source for conservative news, political cartoons, breaking stories, election analysis and commentary on politics and the media culture. An information hub for conservatives, republicans, libertarians, and liberty-loving Americans.

What do you all think? I feel like that paragraph could have been easily removed or rephrased in a way that would conceal her identity without really changing the import of the column. It confirms my belief that her outing was completely mean-spirited.

Comment

• face
                  Getting Somewhere
                  • Jun 2004

the truth is that they knew bloody well that the italian and british intel was forged, and wilson's investigation in niger confirmed it. and guess who approached the US and britain with loads of dirt on saddam in 2002/2003? none other than ahmad chalabi of the iraqi national congress (an iraqi expat/exile organization).

chalabi, receiving some $300,000 a month was willing to make up any stories about saddam and the US was ready to believe. it's actually even worse than that. the US was going into iraq; they just needed the proof of a threat to go with it.

what makes me sick is tha tnovak was not at all concerned about wilson and his wife. his primary goal was defending the administration and bashing wilson's reputation and credibility.

Comment

• davetlv
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by toasty
                    What is newsworthy about the identity of a CIA operative to a US audience? The existence of US spies is hardly newsworthy, and I don't think that knowing her identity makes it any more so. Novak ended her career and put her in jeopardy, and I can't think of any good reason for it. When we learn the identity of an enemy's spies, I say broadcast it to the world -- but when this jackass learns the identity of one of his own country's spies, he ought to exercise some fucking restraint. With that said, I'm less critical of Novak for writing it than I am of whomever leaked it in the first place.
                    Personally i dont think it is news worthy, but i'm not an editor or a publisher of any newspaper. But i would assume that the wife of a US diplomat being a spy might be deemed news by some in the media!

As for my comments about lives at risks on a daily basis. . . well just becasue the cold war is dead it doesnt mean that nation states have given up on their espionage activities. . . and with people in the field supposedly working for their countries I'm sure they would feel happier knowing that someone from within their own government isn't going to 'out' them!

Comment

• toasty
                      Sir Toastiness
                      • Jun 2004

As for my comments about lives at risks on a daily basis. . . well just becasue the cold war is dead it doesnt mean that nation states have given up on their espionage activities. . . and with people in the field supposedly working for their countries I'm sure they would feel happier knowing that someone from within their own government isn't going to 'out' them!
                      No disagreement here -- the was supposed to signify emphatic agreement, but looking at it now, I don't think I was very clear...

Comment

Working...