X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • th33f
    Getting Somewhere
    • Feb 2005

who's whose protege!

to be honest, i've always found Sasha's stuff on the monotonous repetitious side... in other words, sort of bland. can't say i was of better opinion about Digweed either...

but!

these recent sets of Sasha... me like! i think he's finally living up to his huge reputation, at least in my eyes(ears). and it's not hard to figure out what(or who) influenced his work, you know... James and Sasha working together has definitely done some good for the both of them, but i say - Sasha picked up a few tricks from JZ!

discuss.
  • palmer
    Retired or Simply Important
    • Jun 2004

sasha and digweed have been around for almost 2 decades.....
    todayistomorrow
    art direction | design | animation

Comment

• th33f
      Getting Somewhere
      • Feb 2005

ok, but look at Tiesto, relatively a n00b, owning them both together numbers-wise... i know people will say you can't just throw away the achievements in the past, but we live in the "now"! new ways of producing and mixing music can't just be ignored. if you don't get with the times, or better yet, try to jump ahead of the current standard - you will be lost among the "average joes", and no matter how loud your name is or was - success will be out of reach. i'm not saying the veterans don't try their hardest to do so... it's just more of a challenge for them to keep re-inventing their styles, compared to the younger generation, full of new ideas, focusing on experimenting with the sound and crowd, rather than worrying about their old fan base, who want more of the same... is it not true that some hardcore clubbers are pretty cold to JZ's amazing techniques, since they grew up on Sasha and Digweed?

crap, it's 7am, i think i'm just ranting now... good night.

Comment

• Jibgolly
        Vortexuralizor
        • Jun 2004

hmm.....

Tiesto, relatively a n00b, owning them both (sasha & digweed) together numbers-wise

quite possibly the cutest thing i've read since "Clifford - The Big Red Dog"

dont begin comparing genre's to each other. its like throwing a bucket of water in a deep fryer. exXxplosion !!!!!

tiesto is awesome, yes. to people who like trance @ 160bpm.
        to say he ownz anything over s&d is ridiculous.
        sasha is about one inch away from becoming a live PA. he's just getting his bearrings.
        the guy has been using ableton (in front of people) for what? a year?
        give it a chance...
        digs is ever evolving. always on the move. always playing some stealthy bomb shit.

in the end its all opinion, so who's butt you wanna sniff next?

Comment

• Pataky P
          asdf_imo
          • Jun 2004

I love both music!!!!

Comment

• ubiqe
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by th33f
            is it not true that some hardcore clubbers are pretty cold to JZ's amazing techniques, since they grew up on Sasha and Digweed?
            Honestly, I can't stand JZ's "amazing techniques" Never heard him live, and people say it's much different, but still - his are the only live sets I can't listen to. And you won't tell me you can dance to it.
            (Sorry, JZ, if you're reading this, it's nothing personal - just an opinion )

But I still love the new Sasha's sets. So I guess your point in this thread is not valid. I'm quite sure if I heard anything Zabiela-like in his sets I would notice it.

Comment

• th33f
              Getting Somewhere
              • Feb 2005

@ Jibgolly: i said numbers-wise, meaning Britney Spears > Tiesto on that scale. that's not the point though... i'm glad you find both Sasha's and John's effort to pay off, unfortunately they come off as being "behind" a little bit to me... in my book, Burridge and Richards are way more entertaining than either of the "giants", not to mention new talent popping up like shrooms, plus the whole breaks scene is a train i doubt they'll ever catch.

Originally posted by ubiqe
              is it not true that some hardcore clubbers are pretty cold to JZ's amazing techniques, since they grew up on Sasha and Digweed?
              Honestly, I can't stand JZ's "amazing techniques" Never heard him live, and people say it's much different, but still - his are the only live sets I can't listen to. And you won't tell me you can dance to it.

But I still love the new Sasha's sets. So I guess your point in this thread is not valid. I'm quite sure if I heard anything Zabiela-like in his sets I would notice it.
              see? what would happen if the fatso's were to move up the foodchain and start spitting out unbelieavable FX combo's, using more electro tracks and not minding acidic feel, like you know they can... but WON'T! because the "sheep" would abandon them... instead, they find new fresh artists, like JZ and Lisle, and then "feed" off of them, so to say, both commercially and creatively. and if you actually listened to James' sets as much as i do, you'd recognize the same direction in Sasha's recent sets. tell you what, i'll go over them these next few days and post the parts and tracks which would prove this thread to be valid, ok...

Comment

• mmglobal
                Gold Gabber
                • Sep 2004

Are you listening? What do you mean you can't dance to ir? You're confusing me...the breaks is what gets the floor undulating, it's the stuff that pounds your chest, moves your legs, closes your eyes and forces you to surrender to the art of the live DJ set. It's the shit that keeps me coming back for more...Your mind will be changed if you gave it a chance. Airdrawndagger had some kickass breaks and you're telling us that you couldn't dance to it?
                The two of them together is a force to be reckoned with. I think both of them are super psyched to finally find a dj to share the bill with that can read each other's mind. I've also noticed how the two of them are just beaming when they pass the decks off to one another.

so, give some respect to the breaks...and to my man James, k? You've never seen him live...so what do you know about his "amazing tecniques?"
                Peace.

Comment

• ZendoBro
                  Mr. Roboto
                  • Dec 2004

Re: who's whose protege!

JZ is Sasha's protege. No more further questions your honor.
                  I am no cyberwhore...
                  http://www.myspace.com/zendobro

Comment

• palmer
                    • Jun 2004

what would happen if the fatso's were to move up the foodchain blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
                    numbers-wise they are at the top of the foodchain.......

4 Sasha
                    8 John Digweed

This arguement is retarded on so many levels. Heres how it goes.

another ignorant statement
                    20 ms'ers lace into you
                    another ignorant statement with quotes
                    10 ms'ers lace into you
                    more bullshit
                    5 ms'ers
                    plea for understanding
                    everybody is sick of it and it disappears
                    todayistomorrow

Comment

• Localizer
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jul 2004

let them be at the top of the foodchain....personally those that disappear, fall back into the underground to provide us with better music....
                      Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so.
                      -Bertrand Russell

Comment

• th33f
                        Getting Somewhere
                        • Feb 2005

geez, did i ever say i like Tiesto? PAY ME and i still won't go to an event of his, much less own(or burn) a CD of that prick... regardless... he's found a "trend" he keeps working off of for years, and from what i heard of his tracks he just uses "the flashiest" synth sounds, which does require research too, i guess, and that's what keeps him at the top of the charts.

the more i hear of Sasha's 2004 work the more i agree with myself, that the man realized his "talent" and "flow" just don't cut it anymore, so his ventures into breaks and use of a laptop are his strong points now, as well as having Zabiela around... as much as that might upsets his old-time fans, life goes on...

don't know about Digweed... i just can't get "into" his sets... they just sound too... naive, i guess... he's getting old.

Comment

• th33f
                          Getting Somewhere
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by palmer
                          what would happen if the fatso's were to move up the foodchain blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

4 Sasha
                          8 John Digweed

20 ms'ers lace into you
                          10 ms'ers lace into you
                          more bullshit
                          5 ms'ers
                          plea for understanding
                          you edited your reply, but whatever... i'm not trying to pick on anyone. you wanna generalize it into that pattern, you shouldn't have bothered replying at all. k, thx, bye.

Comment

• buckman
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

fyi sasha has been playing breaks for along time now.it isnt nothing new to him.
                            " Darkness Imprisioning Me
                            All That I See
                            Absolute Horror
                            I Cannot Live
                            I Cannot Die
                            Trapped In Myself
                            Body My Holding Cell"-James Hetfield(Metallica)

soulseek sn buckman28

Comment

• palmer
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by palmer

4 Sasha
                              8 John Digweed

20 ms'ers lace into you
                              10 ms'ers lace into you
                              more bullshit
                              5 ms'ers
                              plea for understanding
                              you edited your reply, but whatever... i'm not trying to pick on anyone. you wanna generalize it into that pattern, you shouldn't have bothered replying at all. k, thx, bye.

thats why there's an edit button

save the kthnx bye shit for someone else.....
                              todayistomorrow

Comment

Working...