• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darin epsilon
    Gold Gabber
    • Jul 2004

Please vote for me in John Digweed's 'Structures Two' DJ Competition

Hello boys and girls!

I have officially entered John Digweed's Structures Two DJ Mix Competition and need your help in order to become a finalist! For those of you who have enjoyed my Perspectives radio show and podcast, which I have offered FREE OF CHARGE for the past four and a half years, I would really appreciate a moment of your time.

The Top 20% with the most “favorites” and “plays” will advance to the final round of judging. From then entries will be judged by a panel from Bedrock on factors including (but not limited to):
    - Positive feedback
    - Creativity
    - Technical ability

The winner will have his or her mix aired on John’s massively popular Transitions radio show and be interviewed by the man himself, plus tons of other cool prizes.

bedrock_mixcloud.jpg

1. Visit bit.ly/darin_epsilon_bedrock_contest
    2. Click the Play button
    3. Add the mix to your Favorites

Voting ends 11:59pm MST, July 11, 2011.

Tracklisting

01. Anthony Pappa & King Unique - Vamoosh (King Unique Kosmische Mix) (Intro)
    02. King Roc & Dimitri Nakov - Jardin Nights (From Paris & Berlin Mix) (DE Competition Edit) [119 BPM]
    03. Misstress Barbara & H.O.S.H. - Finally Mine (Gorge Remix) (DE Competition Edit) [123 BPM]
    04. Dibby Dougherty & David Young - Tiger Forest (Ryan Davis Rework) (DE Competition Edit) [124 BPM]
    05. Jimmy Van M & Steve T. - We Are Children (Original Mix) [125 BPM] / Tom Hades - Come On (Ride) / Oliver Lieb - Parallex (Melody FX)
    06. John Digweed & Nick Muir - Bilder (King Unique Rebild Mix) (DE Competition Edit) [127 BPM] / Kruse & Nuernberg - My Real Name Is (Reprise) (FX)
    07. Timo Maas - Kick 1 Kick 3 (Maetrik Sexy Remix Edit) (DE Competition Edit) [126 BPM]
    08. Lewis Ryder - Kaffee-Monster Schief Gegangen (Nathan Coles & David Coker's Spanish Fly Mix) [122 BPM]
    09. Clement Meyer - Piece By Piece (Maetrik Remix) (DE Competition Edit) [125 BPM]
    10. King Unique - 2000000 Suns (KU Heat Death Of The Universe Mix) (DE Competition Edit)
    Website | Facebook | SoundCloud | Beatport | Twitter | YouTube

http://soundcloud.com/darinepsilon/darin-epsilon-perspectives-072-pig-dan-frisky-radio-may-2013
  • darin epsilon
    Gold Gabber
    • Jul 2004

Re: Please vote for me in John Digweed's 'Structures Two' DJ Competition

The purpose of this mix is two-fold: to provide an enjoyable musical journey for the audience and to impress the hell out of the judges. To do this, I chose only the best tracks from Structures Two, and ones that were related in harmony, choice of sounds, texture, and mood. Below is a track-by-track analysis of my competition entry...

00:00 - We begin with the King Unique Kosmische Mix of 'Vamoosh' by Anthony Pappa & King Unique. The ping pong delay is set to 50% to create a spacey atmosphere, and to avoid sounding the same if someone else chose the same intro.

00:30 - The absolutely sublime From Paris To Berlin Mix of 'Jardin Nights' by King Roc & Dimitri Nakov [119 BPM] begins.

01:47 - Misstress Barbara & H.O.S.H. 'Finally Mine (Gorge Remix)' [123 BPM] enters the mix.

04:29 - Dibby Dougherty & David Young 'Tiger Forest (Ryan Davis Rework) [124 BPM] starts creeping in. The hi hats and clap from the previous track are looping throughout 'Tiger Forest' to keep the energy flowing.

08:59 - Jimmy Van M & Steve T. 'We Are Children' [125 BPM] begins. I felt this track could have used more hi hats, so I've taken the ride cymbal from Tom Hades 'Come On' and kept it looping throughout the entire production.

12:27 - Oliver Lieb 'Parallex (Melody FX)' is layered on top. It sounds great together with the vocals and strings in the breakdown.

13:43 - John Digweed & Nick Muir 'Bilder (King Unique Rebild Mix)' [127 BPM] enters. Of course we have to include this one as it's arguably one of the strongest selections in Structures Two! Plus, gotta pay homage to Bedrock. No, but actually there is another reason why. Up until now, we have been using tracks in the key of D minor. It would be terribly boring to have an entire mix in D minor, wouldn't it? Luckily, 'Bilder' is in the similarly related key of G minor, which allows for an ultra-smooth and seamless blend.

18:40 - We hear Kruse & Nuernberg 'My Real Name Is (Reprise)' being sampled in the breakdown of 'Bilder'

20:58 - Timo Maas 'Kick 1 Kick 3 (Maetrik Sexy Remix Edit)' [126 BPM] kicks in.

22:14 - Lewis Ryder 'Kaffee-Monster Schief Gegangen (Nathan Coles & David Coker's Spanish Fly Mix)' [122 BPM] begins. The last 10 minutes of the mix are much different than how we began. Now we are dealing with mainly percussive tracks that are less harmonically complex. The music becomes faster-paced and the energy continues to build.

24:15 - This is where things begin to get really interesting. Clement Meyer 'Piece By Piece (Maetrik Remix)' is an atonal piece with hints of E minor towards the end. The Lewis Ryder track preceding it is in B flat minor, so the root notes from both songs playing together creates a rather strong dissonance. Specifically, it is a tritone relationship, which normally sounds horrible but is actually considered stylish these days.

26:09 - The percussion from Timo Maas 'Kick 1 Kick 3 (Maetrik Sexy Remix Edit)' is looping in the background.

27:55 - King Unique '2000000 Suns (KU Heat Death Of The Universe Mix)' fades in. The music crescendoes into an intense climax before the set finally winds down. Notice how I begin and end with King Unique for continuity.

Click Here
    to vote for me now! Simply press Play and add to your Favorites if you enjoy the mix.

http://soundcloud.com/darinepsilon/darin-epsilon-perspectives-072-pig-dan-frisky-radio-may-2013

Comment

• Adzey
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Mar 2008

done

i enjoy your show mate as well keep up the good work

"Working like a wizard he doesn't jump around much or react much to what he is playing but the place is going nuts"

Comment

• Illuminate
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Aug 2009

Good stuff mate, and good luck!

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
        Sbando
        - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
        Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
        Bob
        "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
        the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
        KiwiTollway

Comment

• chuckc
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • Jun 2004

Isn't this competition more geared for bedroom djs or more unknown non-established djs?

Comment

• darin epsilon
            Gold Gabber
            • Jul 2004

HUGE thanks and appreciation to everyone who has been supporting me in this contest. I have the most number of plays but still need more people to add this mix to their Favorites and Tweet about it. Only 4 days left before voting ends!

Add To Favorites
            Send a Tweet

Comment

• darin epsilon
              Gold Gabber
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by chuckc
              Isn't this competition more geared for bedroom djs or more unknown non-established djs?
              Not to my knowledge, no. It's open to everyone.

Comment

• DIDI
                Aussie Pest
                • Nov 2004

I actually think that to be true competition it has be open to all !! That's the real world
                Originally posted by TheVrk
                it IS incredible isn't it??
                STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• floridaorange
                  I'm merely a humble butler
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by DIDI
                  I actually think that to be true competition it has be open to all !! That's the real world
                  Darin already said that it is open to all.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• DIDI
                    Aussie Pest
                    • Nov 2004

Err I know that , I was supporting what he said
                    Originally posted by TheVrk
                    it IS incredible isn't it??
                    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                    Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                    The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• bobjuice
                      Banned
                      • May 2008

Good luck big man

Comment

• thebanned1
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • May 2009

this may be a bit offensive ( sorry darin ) but i think it's a tad unfair for an already established DJ to enter a DJ competition especially when that person uses an already established fan base to vote them up the ladder when there are guys with a hell of a lot of talent fighting to even get one step on the ladder and have been for years

like i said... sorry darin
                        How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• chuckc
                          DUDERZ get a life!!!
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by thebanned1
                          this may be a bit offensive ( sorry darin ) but i think it's a tad unfair for an already established DJ to enter a DJ competition especially when that person uses an already established fan base to vote them up the ladder when there are guys with a hell of a lot of talent fighting to even get one step on the ladder and have been for years

like i said... sorry darin
                          that is what i was trying to get at, thanks banned 1 for saying what i was thinking. hopefully john considers that when he is judging the finalists.

Comment

• thebanned1
                            DUDERZ get a life!!!
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by chuckc
                            that is what i was trying to get at, thanks banned 1 for saying what i was thinking. hopefully john considers that when he is judging the finalists.
                            How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• i!!ustrious
                              I got some N64 Games Yo!!
                              • Mar 2008

that all goes without saying, though. also, life is not fair

darin: i'm stoked to vote for you in this comp - as you've been persevering and consistent, in all your work, over the years; rising up legit and bringin' it. this set is dope.
                              (((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

Working...