my life even more aggravating.

Seriously, who has to die for government to stop trampling people in the
    pursuit of "common good" :?

Be a vegan......eat freedom fries..
  • Yao
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Damn.

I think it has more to do with an over-capitalistic attitude than just too extended government. On the other hand...Court could be a strong weapon against this kind of thing, provided there is sufficient legislation on the subject.
    Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• Civic_Zen
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

You'll get no argument from me. That which governs less, governs best.

Any way, its funny you should mention "capitalism" there yao. Considering Conn. is an overwhelmingly Democratic state, and New London is no exception. Its funny how the libz twist things like this into being a capitalistic issue.

Capitalism is about putting power into the hands of the people. Granted, it also puts the power in the hands of large corporations, who do abuse that power. But This isn't about corporations buying these properties, its about the government abusing their power and buying them. Power that the people themselves gave to their local gov.

Capitalism is about limiting the power the government has. I'm not going to say this is a truism, and most certainly not for all repubz in office now, but TRUE repubz are capitalist's because they are for less gov, and less power for the gov.
      "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
      "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
      - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Yao
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

Is that so? My bad...but i did say Over-capitalist, not just capitalist. I'm one myself ya know.

Maybe I should've used Greedy... :wink:

I do not totally agree with only less government: some issues should be taken care of by the goverment, simply bcos I think every man/woman should have a chance to make something of their life in the first place. That's why I still favour goverment funding of Health care, Education. Two basic pillars of a healthy and educated workforce and the chance to a good life...the bedrock of any economy.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• mylexicon
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Yao
          Damn.

I think it has more to do with an over-capitalistic attitude than just too extended government. On the other hand...Court could be a strong weapon against this kind of thing, provided there is sufficient legislation on the subject.
          All power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely----Lord Acton

This actually is a governmental problem. The phenomenon is known as
          regulatory capture. Regulatory capture is what happens when government
          is used to control something but over time it actually (sometimes
          inadvertendly) becomes the tool of one of the organizations
          it controls. e.g. when the fed lobbies for banks, or when the SEC lobbies for
          deregulation.

It can only be contained through a)extra administration and
          investigations, or b)you can limit governmental power.

I choose "b"

And just to expand on what civic said. Capitalism is an easier enemy to fight.
          A corrupt corporation can usually be taken down in just a matter of months,
          by consumer boycott. A government unfortunately has the power to imprison
          those of us who boycott it.
          Be a vegan......eat freedom fries..

Comment

• Yao
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Jun 2004

True.

Comment

Working...