He's back, in Pog form
    • Jun 2004

Ecstasy trials for combat stress

Taken from The Guardian

Ecstasy trials for combat stress

David Adam, science correspondent
    Thursday February 17, 2005
    The Guardian

American soldiers traumatised by fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan are to be offered the drug ecstasy to help free them of flashbacks and recurring nightmares.

The US food and drug administration has given the go-ahead for the soldiers to be included in an experiment to see if MDMA, the active ingredient in ecstasy, can treat post-traumatic stress disorder.

Scientists behind the trial in South Carolina think the feelings of emotional closeness reported by those taking the drug could help the soldiers talk about their experiences to therapists. Several victims of rape and sexual abuse with post-traumatic stress disorder, for whom existing treatments are ineffective, have been given MDMA since the research began last year.

Michael Mithoefer, the psychiatrist leading the trial, said: "It's looking very promising. It's too early to draw any conclusions but in these treatment-resistant people so far the results are encouraging.

"People are able to connect more deeply on an emotional level with the fact they are safe now."

He is about to advertise for war veterans who fought in the last five years to join the study.

According to the US national centre for post-traumatic stress disorder, up to 30% of combat veterans suffer from the condition at some point in their lives.

Known as shell shock during the first world war and combat fatigue in the second, the condition is characterised by intrusive memories, panic attacks and the avoidance of situations which might force sufferers to relive their wartime experiences.
    Advertiser links
    Diet - Weight Watchers

Discover the biggest change at Weight Watchers in years....
    weightwatchers.co.uk
    Diet Patch UK

Kill your appetite in 2005 and never feel those hunger pangs...
    diet-patch.co.uk
    InnerTalk UK Weight Loss and Diet CD

InnerTalk UK and Europe. Weight Loss Now CD self-help...
    innertalk.co.uk

Dr Mithoefer said the MDMA helped people discuss traumatic situations without triggering anxiety.

"It appears to act as a catalyst to help people move through whatever's been blocking their success in therapy."

The existing drug-assisted therapy sessions last up to eight hours, during music is played. The patients swallow a capsule containing a placebo or 125mg of MDMA - about the same or a little more than a typical ecstasy tablet.

Psychologists assess the patients before and after the trial to judge whether the drug has helped.

The study has provoked controversy, because significant doubts remain about the long-term risks of ecstasy.

Animal studies suggest that it lowers levels of the brain chemical serotonin, and some politicians and anti-drug campaigners have argued that research into possible medical benefits of illegal drugs presents a falsely reassuring message.

The South Carolina study marks a resurgence of interest in the use of controlled psychedelic and hallucinogenic drugs. Several studies in the US are planned or are under way to investigate whether MDMA, LSD and psilocybin, the active ingredient in magic mushrooms, can treat conditions ranging from obsessive compulsive disorder to anxiety in terminal cancer patients.
    http://www.myspace.com/hernancattaneo
    http://www.facebook.com/hernancattaneo
    http://www.soundcloud.com/hernancattaneo
  • arielus
    He's back, in Pog form
    • Jun 2004

and other related (and older) news.

Ecstasy to be tested on terminal patients
    FDA ruling might lead to use of other psychedelic drugs
    http://www.myspace.com/hernancattaneo
    http://www.facebook.com/hernancattaneo
    http://www.soundcloud.com/hernancattaneo

Comment

• DJ Adrian Ravelo
      Getting warmed up
      • Jun 2004

thats very intresting.. i wonder what would happen if that became medically legal now..
      Cloud Nine Mix Sessions every LAST Thursday of the month
      www.friskyradio.com
      www.myspace.com/djadrianravelo

Comment

• mixu
        Travel Guru Extraordinaire
        • Jun 2004

And this today as well... :?

Cannabis may help prevent Alzheimer's memory loss

Ben Sills in Madrid and Ian Sample
        Thursday February 24, 2005
        The Guardian

Scientists at one of Spain's leading research centres claimed yesterday to have found evidence that cannabis helps prevent the memory loss experienced by people suffering from Alzheimer's.

The potential breakthrough in understanding a disease that affects nearly half a million people in Britain, and around nine million worldwide, was made by a team led by Mar?a de Ceballos at the Cajal Institute in Madrid.

Their study seems to show that THC, the main active ingredient in cannabis, inhibits the activity of cells that cause damage to neurons in the brain.

Scientists at one of Spain's leading research centres claimed yesterday to have found evidence that cannabis helps prevent the memory loss experienced by people suffering from Alzheimer's.
        Ask me a question...

Comment

• MJ
          Here since 2002
          • Jun 2004

Maybe they should take the drug when they are on the front line.. i think you all know that there would be no fighting, just lots of love between the two waring parties.
          mjwebhosting you know it makes sense

Silentium est aureum

Comment

• Pataky P
            asdf_imo
            • Jun 2004

Thanks the links,and the info!!

Comment

• Steve Graham
              DJ Jelly
              • Jun 2004

isnt this how or why mdma was initially created all those years ago?

Comment

• Marimba
                Getting Somewhere
                • Jun 2004

how can i be a volunteer?

Comment

• Kamal
                  Administrator
                  • May 2002

Originally posted by mixu
                  Cannabis may help prevent Alzheimer's memory loss

mmmmkaayyyy.... and aren't these doctors the same twats accusing MJ to be the leading cause of memory loss

-e-
                  www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                  he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                  Originally posted by ace_dl
                  Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
                  I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• Steve Graham
                    DJ Jelly
                    • Jun 2004

^^ Musical Journey?

Comment

• Kamal
                      Administrator
                      • May 2002

Mary Jane
                      www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                      he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                      Originally posted by ace_dl
                      Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
                      I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• rewing3
                        I really don't care
                        • Jun 2004

Sign Me up.
                        Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• skahound
                          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                          • Jun 2004

A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• asdf_admin
                            i use to be important
                            • Jun 2004

that's what we need. more fucking e-tards on this planet. like meth heads are not enough.

dead, yet alive.

Comment

• Terry
                              Addiction started
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by asdf_admin
                              that's what we need. more fucking e-tards on this planet. like meth heads are not enough.

where do you find all these pictures??? you have a picture for every topic you partake in.
                              www.boodang.com
                              -------------------------

Comment

Working...