X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

First, A Confession

OK, I'm not proud of it, but I watch American Idol. Religiously. My fiance got me hooked on it a couple seasons ago while watching the "bad" auditions, which are pretty funny. The problem is, by the time you're done watching the auditions, you've already invested a decent amount of time in it and want to know how it ends. Guilty pleasure, I suppose. I may rue the day I put this out into the public eye, but it's important to the post. Alas, I digress.

Did anyone else watch it last night? That Ryan Seacrest dude has taken advising contestants that they have lost to a sadistic level. I understand that if you do it the same way each time, it becomes predictable and less interesting, but the shit he was pulling last night was just fucking cruel. IT starts with using absurd sentence structure with double and triple negatives like, "You are not a person who isn't not safe tonight," such that you have to diagram the damn sentence to figure out if you're staying or going. At one point, however, he told an entire row of guys that they could relax, called the other row onto stage, went through the whole song and dance of making each of those contestants think that they might be going home, and then quickly spun around to the guys who thought they were "safe," pointed at one and abruptly said, "You're out."

Two of the contestants that got bumped just looked thunderstrcuk. Then Seacrest pulls them out onto stage and rubs salt into the wound with questions like:

"You didn't see that coming at all, did you?"

and

"How's it feel to be one of the first people voted out?"

You can almost sense his glee as he's trying to emphasize both their utter devastation and the cool way in which he shocked them with the news that they were going home. I'm all for watching a trainwreck (which partially explains why I watch the show in the first place), but this is just viscious.

Anyone else catch this?

toasty -- out...
  • asdf_admin
    i use to be important
    • Jun 2004

KILL YOUR TV TOASTY.

THE PORTAL CLOSES. THERE IS NO ESCAPE.
    dead, yet alive.

Comment

• mixu
      Travel Guru Extraordinaire
      • Jun 2004

I love the auditions ? these people really think they can sing, that they have a gift they were born with... and not one of their friends or family tells them (or realises) they couldn't hit a note if their life depended on it.

I don't watch any more than that though. When I stop laughing it's time to turn over.
      Ask me a question...

Comment

• Kobe
        I wish I had an interesting User title
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by mixu
        I love the auditions ? these people really think they can sing, that they have a gift they were born with... and not one of their friends or family tells them (or realises) they couldn't hit a note if their life depended on it.

I don't watch any more than that though. When I stop laughing it's time to turn over.
        100% I love the wackos, although there is some nice ass on that show right now too
        Beats are my crack.

Comment

• skahound
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • Jun 2004

I completely agree with you toasty. I started out the same way, as only an observer of the horrendous auditions. After that it becomes analagous to a train wreck though. The bad auditions last 3-4 weeks which is well over the 21 days it takes to form a habit, so then you're locked in. I didn't watch the whole show last night, but I was listening to it while doing some homework. I look at it this way, at least that Brian Dunkleman loser isn't hosting anymore!
          A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• asdf_admin
            i use to be important
            • Jun 2004

dead, yet alive.

Comment

• arielus
              He's back, in Pog form
              • Jun 2004

ok toasty...

you're not alone :P

i also watch american idol sometimes. auditions are my favorites but i also watch now everytime i can, it's funny and there's nothing else to watch here at that same time.

i guess i watch the show 1 or 2 weeks later because they add subtitles and broadcast it on Sony Entertainment TV here.
              http://www.myspace.com/hernancattaneo
              http://www.facebook.com/hernancattaneo
              http://www.soundcloud.com/hernancattaneo

Comment

• MJ
                Here since 2002
                • Jun 2004

You sad lonely people. I`d rather have a front seat at a Kate Bush concert.
                mjwebhosting you know it makes sense

Silentium est aureum

Comment

• Terry
                  Addiction started
                  • Jun 2004

you know its funny that this comes up for discussion. My girlfriend makes me watch this show occasionally and last night while i was flipping through channels i saw a commercial for it coming up next. I gotta say i was actually thinking of going through with watching it. good thing family guy was on at the same time or i might be having the same problems you guys are thank you family guy
                  www.boodang.com
                  -------------------------

Comment

• toasty
                    Sir Toastiness
                    • Jun 2004

whew. glad to hear i'm not the only one. it just sucks you in...

Comment

• MJ
                      Here since 2002
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by toasty
                      whew. glad to hear i'm not the only one. it just sucks you in...
                      so does a black hole but you wouldn`t catch me anywhere near one.
                      mjwebhosting you know it makes sense

Silentium est aureum

Comment

• thesightless
                        Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
                        • Jun 2004

i have seen it, but only because i have FOX on for 24(stilll the best show on TV right now.). i am usually on the computer when its on though.
                        your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
                        download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• asdf_admin
                          i use to be important
                          • Jun 2004

My girlfriend makes me watch this show
                          own'd.

dead, yet alive.

Comment

• Jenks
                            I'm kind of a big deal.
                            • Jun 2004

all this, "my girlfriend makes me watch it" stuff is priceless.

all lies imo.

Comment

• skahound
                              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Musical Journey
                              so does a black hole but you wouldn`t catch me anywhere near one.
                              Unless it had a pair of nuts dangling underneath of it.
                              A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

Working...