X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

FAO Dj's: Best and Worst Gigs

For the dj's on MS: which gig stands out as one of your all time favorites, what was it that you enjoyed about it? Also which gig was the worst experience you have had as well?

It was fun while it lasted...
  • Homegrove
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Re: FAO Dj's: Best and Worst Gigs

Best ones have usually been some that have surprised totally, not the obvious ones (like warming up for Howells & Warren *cough*). One that springs to mind was an after party in Helsinki in May 2008. I played from 8 in the morning to ten and when I got to the place I was pleasantly surprised to still find it rammed and heaving. Dropped Dark Flower (which had just come out that week) 30 minutes in and the place went nuts. The rest of the 90 minutes was the most fun I'd had behind decks before that.

The worst ones are always the same, some new promoter has his first night in some place that usually caters to a top 40 crowd and doesn't advertise, the equipment is what it is and so forth. Played way too many of those in the first few years I started.
    Forward thinking house music

Comment

• Illuminate
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Homegrove
      Best ones have usually been some that have surprised totally, not the obvious ones (like warming up for Howells & Warren *cough*).
      Full Stop.

Close this thread.

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
      Sbando
      - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
      Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
      Bob
      "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
      the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
      KiwiTollway

Comment

• floridaorange
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Homegrove
        Best ones have usually been some that have surprised totally, not the obvious ones (like warming up for Howells & Warren *cough*). One that springs to mind was an after party in Helsinki in May 2008. I played from 8 in the morning to ten and when I got to the place I was pleasantly surprised to still find it rammed and heaving. Dropped Dark Flower (which had just come out that week) 30 minutes in and the place went nuts. The rest of the 90 minutes was the most fun I'd had behind decks before that.

The worst ones are always the same, some new promoter has his first night in some place that usually caters to a top 40 crowd and doesn't advertise, the equipment is what it is and so forth. Played way too many of those in the first few years I started.
        Interesting homegrove! Sounds like quite the adventure...never knowing, dropping tracks and the crowd going nuts must be such a sweet feeling .

I'm also curious if there are any specific places members here enjoy the most.

Comment

• Jenks
          I'm kind of a big deal.
          • Jun 2004

I have a few bests for different reasons:

Opening for Hawtin was pretty cool, on a massive Turbo Sound Line Array system two years ago on 4th of July. A stack of subs and top boxes for monitors on both sides didn't suck. Picklemonkey was there. Biggest and most fun sound system I've ever played on.

Opening for Dan Bell was awesome as well, since the guy had been my hero for years, and he was actually there at the bar and listened to the whole thing and said he dug it afterwards.

Most memorable for the setting, music, experience: Opening for Junction SM, on Dandy Jack's 40th bday. He was on the dancefloor the entire time, complete nutter. One of my favorite parties ever. I took a video of him closing when the lights came on:

Worst: By far the worst- coming back from WMC in 05, sick as a dog, and had a gig to play the next night. I had a 100 degree fever, vomiting into the trashcan in the dj booth while I played. Managed to actually play pretty decent after getting past the first half hour almost ready to pass out feeling. I pulled the biggest rookie move ever too (even though I had already been djing about 8 years)- mixed in my headphones, took them off....silence. Dj before me was a crossfader user and I forgot to move it back to center. In retrospect I should have canceled, but I had never played that venue before and didn't want to miss it.

Comment

• chuckc
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Jun 2004

nice wifebeater...

Comment

• floridaorange
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Jenks
              I have a few bests for different reasons:

Opening for Hawtin was pretty cool, on a massive Turbo Sound Line Array system two years ago on 4th of July. A stack of subs and top boxes for monitors on both sides didn't suck. Picklemonkey was there. Biggest and most fun sound system I've ever played on.

Opening for Dan Bell was awesome as well, since the guy had been my hero for years, and he was actually there at the bar and listened to the whole thing and said he dug it afterwards.

Most memorable for the setting, music, experience: Opening for Junction SM, on Dandy Jack's 40th bday. He was on the dancefloor the entire time, complete nutter. One of my favorite parties ever. I took a video of him closing when the lights came on:

Worst: By far the worst- coming back from WMC in 05, sick as a dog, and had a gig to play the next night. I had a 100 degree fever, vomiting into the trashcan in the dj booth while I played. Managed to actually play pretty decent after getting past the first half hour almost ready to pass out feeling. I pulled the biggest rookie move ever too (even though I had already been djing about 8 years)- mixed in my headphones, took them off....silence. Dj before me was a crossfader user and I forgot to move it back to center. In retrospect I should have canceled, but I had never played that venue before and didn't want to miss it.
              That's badass you opened for Hawtin, that system sounds sic I bet. Nice video indeed the crowd is in the palm of your hand, looks like an incredible vibe at that place, nobody giving a f*ck, everyone just dancing their arses off!

Comment

Working...