X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sjaracz2
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Night Club Blast in Tel Aviv

TEL AVIV, Israel - A Palestinian suicide bomber carrying 20 pounds of explosives blew himself up in a crowd of young Israelis waiting outside a nightclub near Tel Aviv?s beachfront promenade just before midnight Friday, killing at least four other people, wounding dozens and shattering an informal Mideast truce.

advertisement

Israeli officials indicated that the blast would not derail the tentative peace efforts. But the bombing put new pressure on Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas to take action against militants who have not accepted the cease-fire he worked out at a carefully orchestrated summit with Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon.

Abbas held an emergency meeting with his security chiefs early Saturday and called for a joint Israel-Palestinian investigation into the bombing, which took place as about 20 to 30 people were waiting to get into the Stage nightclub on Herbert Samuel street, close to the promenade.

Bomber turned away
    ?I was near the club. There were about 20 people outside. Suddenly, there was an enormous explosion,? said a witness, identified only as Tsahi.

Tel Aviv police chief David Tzur said security guards outside the club spotted the bomber and didn?t allow him in. ?The impact, if he would have gone inside, would have been tragic,? he said.

He said four people were killed and dozens wounded. Israeli media said more than 50 people were wounded, many of them seriously.

There were conflicting reports of who was behind the attack. Initial reports said Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility. But the group, as well as other Palestinian militant groups Hamas and the Al Aqsa Martyrs? Brigades, all issued denials of involvement.

Palestinian security officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah, which has been trying to disrupt the cease-fire, orchestrated the bombing. The Palestinian officials said they had tracked recent communications between Hezbollah militant Kais Obeid and a Palestinian who they believed was the attacker.

A Hezbollah official in Beirut denied involvement. ?As far as we are concerned, there is no need to respond to such lies that we have become used to it,? the official said. Hezbollah?s television station, Al Manar, reported that Islamic Jihad had claimed responsibility.

Hezbollah has emerged as the biggest threat to the fragile Israeli-Palestinian truce, with the Iranian-funded Lebanese guerrillas offering West Bank gunmen thousands of dollars to attack Israelis. Hezbollah has hundreds of West Bank gunmen on its payroll.

Scene of devastation
    Israel army radio said the attacker was packed with 20 pounds of explosives. The blast ripped off the front of the nightclub, shattering windows of nearby restaurants and blackening cars. Dozens of ambulances and rescue workers pored through the scene, and police scoured the balconies of nearby buildings for evidence. Several covered bodies and a pool of blood lay on the ground.

A neighborhood shopkeeper, who identified himself only as Shlomo, said the blast was so powerful that it knocked a row of bottles off a shelf onto his head. ?Immediately we knew it was an attack. It?s a terrible feeling. We saw the people scattered all over,? he said.

The Tel Aviv promenade has been hit before by Palestinian militants, including explosions in 2001 outside the Dolphinarium disco and Mike?s Place, a popular pub.

The explosion shattered several weeks of calm. At the summit at the Egyptian resort of Sharm el-Sheik on Feb. 8, Abbas and Sharon called for a halt in violence, pledging to break the four-year cycle of bloodshed and get peace talks back on track.

The two largest and most powerful Palestinian militant organizations, Hamas and Islamic Jihad, have so far refused to join a cease-fire officially, but have pledged to maintain the fragile calm.

Appeal to Palestinians
    The radical Palestinian factions are expected to hold talks with Egyptian officials next week on the cease-fire with Israel, a senior Hamas official said on condition of anonymity.

Gideon Ezra, the Israeli public security minister, called on the Palestinians ?to do much more to prevent such attacks.? But he said contacts with the Palestinians should continue.

Israel has so far welcomed Abbas? efforts to persuade militants to halt violence. But it wants the Palestinian leader to begin to take steps to dismantle militant groups.

?What we need now is action, and not words,? said Gideon Meir, a senior Foreign Ministry official.

It was the first suicide bombing since Israel and the Palestinians declared an informal cease-fire on Feb. 8 meant to end more than four years of fighting. It also was the first suicide attack since a bomber killed two people in a Tel Aviv market on Nov. 1.

Saeb Erekat, the chief Palestinian peace negotiator, condemned the attack ?in the strongest possible terms.?

?Whoever is behind it is seriously attempting to sabotage all efforts being exerted to revive the peace process and should not be allowed to succeed,? he said.
    Nectar is to Bees As Money is to a Women
  • peloquin
    Till I Come!
    • Jun 2004

saw that on yahoo, sad news.

Comment

• Garrick
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Jun 2004

yea for terrorism.
      Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• thesightless
        Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
        • Jun 2004

but lets not do anything harsh , you know like actually go after these people before they kill again........ sick fucking world.

RIP to all those who didnt have to die....... sad day after sad day in this world. it shouldnt be like this. :cry:
        your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
        download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• Garrick
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by thesightless
          but lets not do anything harsh , you know like actually go after these people before they kill again........
          well you really can't go after them when they blow themselves up, can you? :P
          Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• thesightless
            • Jun 2004

no, but you can put a bullet in thier head before they put the explosives on themselves. :?

Comment

• davetlv
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

Re: Night Club Blast in Tel Aviv

As a resident of Tel Aviv I am sicked and disgusted that once again innocent young men and women have been murdered by the actions of a homicide bomber while on a night out in our great city.

I can only hope that this sensless act of terrorism does not derail the already fragil process between Israel and the Palestinians. I pray that my governments reaction, no matter how justiified, does not damage that process.

The continuation of terrorist activity by these groups shows that factions within the Palestinian and Arab world do not share the vision of a middle east with both a Palestinian and Israeli state living side by side.

As a citizen of the State of Israel I hope that both my government and the Palestinian Authority can work together to ensure that a two state solution is reached as soon as possible and to not allow this process to be damaged by extremists who care little for the people they purport to represent.

A sad day indeed for Tel Aviv and Israel.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                Not cool enough
                • Jun 2004

This kind of thing should not be happening in a place where people are just trying to have a good time.

Why can't these people just off themselves with the rest of their jihad klan and then they could be the leader in their version of heaven. That way we wouldn't have to deal with these fuckheads anymore.
                Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• ZendoBro
                  Mr. Roboto
                  • Dec 2004

I saw this on CNN on Thursday. Sad news. Just some people wanting to have a good time and someone had to put them in the middle of a war...
                  I am no cyberwhore...
                  http://www.myspace.com/zendobro

Comment

• thesightless
                    • Jun 2004

hey dave, outside of the obvious, everything OK? anyone you know? hope not. well wishes

Comment

• davetlv
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

Yeah everything fine this end thesightless. . . someone i know got caught up in the blast, only minor injuries thank god from flying glass.

My respect has to go out to the brave security guards at the club who refused entrance to the bombers - can you imagine the devestation if they detenated actually inside the club!

Comment

• Yao
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by davetlv
                        Yeah everything fine this end thesightless. . . someone i know got caught up in the blast, only minor injuries thank god from flying glass.

My respect has to go out to the brave security guards at the club who refused entrance to the bombers - can you imagine the devestation if they detenated actually inside the club!
                        Dude, I almost shat myself when I read it! Glad you weren't there, and glad that acquintance of you is OK. Stay the fuck alive untill I've had the chance of visiting you someday man. :?
                        Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• Dzone
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by davetlv
                          As a resident of Tel Aviv I am sicked and disgusted that once again innocent young men and women have been murdered by the actions of a homicide bomber while on a night out in our great city.

I can only hope that this sensless act of terrorism does not derail the already fragil process between Israel and the Palestinians. I pray that my governments reaction, no matter how justiified, does not damage that process.

The continuation of terrorist activity by these groups shows that factions within the Palestinian and Arab world do not share the vision of a middle east with both a Palestinian and Israeli state living side by side.

As a citizen of the State of Israel I hope that both my government and the Palestinian Authority can work together to ensure that a two state solution is reached as soon as possible and to not allow this process to be damaged by extremists who care little for the people they purport to represent.

A sad day indeed for Tel Aviv and Israel.
                          Dave, I have to agree with you on the above comment, that any act which involves killing civilians is a act of murder ... however that i hope the Israeli gov keep on the peace track under all this pressure.

One more comment ...is that we have a say here( Egypt) Arab Agreed not to Agree...how true is this, personally i think that Egypt for ex wasted alot of time and effort supporting the arab and when we had the peace agreement with Israel canceled all relation with us kicked out all Egyptians who were working in arab countries...and now the sad cunts trying to get 17% of what we & Israel offered them in the 1st place ... CUNT Off
                          ^^What dosen't Kill you make you stronger ^^

Comment

• Sinisterbeatz
                            Getting warmed up
                            • Feb 2005

I'm as liberal as they come, but I hope that Abbas and Sharon crack some fucking skulls...I want to see this shit end...
                            Jesus Votes Republican

Comment

• jula
                              Thanks the linkz!
                              • Feb 2005

Every terrorist should blow up before he will kill other people. World is fallin'
                              .... I love. So I love www.friskyradio.com
                              Wanna music? just hit http://www.friskyradio.com/friskyPlayer.php

Comment

Working...