X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaStottman
    Addiction started
    • Dec 2004

Speakers/monitors/whatever

Can someone explain to me the difference between speakers and monitors if there is any? Do monitors require an amp like speakers do?

Also, if there are any bedroom DJs here, can you guys recommend me some good speaker/amp combinations for a smaller room (and a smaller budget) or good monitors? Forgive me I am confused w/ the terms.
    My Top 5 Tunes Of The Moment:

Beckers - Fake (Greg Churchill Remix)
    4Mal - Twilight
    Formulate - The Voice Of Qi
    Mat Leutwyler & Jason Suzuki - The Contended Gastronome (Kosmas Epsilon Remix)
    Classic Tune: Djum Djum - Difference
  • influx
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

monitors are specifcally speakers that are used by the artist to monitor the master output.
    i reject your reality, and substitute my own.
    www.flynoteproductions.com

Comment

• DaStottman
      Addiction started
      • Dec 2004

Do monitors need an amp as well? And like I said before, what are some good speaker/amp combinations for a bedroom DJ setup (nothing too huge)

4Mal - Twilight

Comment

• influx
        Gold Gabber
        • Jun 2004

not necessarily. some are powered, some are not. i like JBL EONS and the Mackie one's too (not sure of the model #) both of those are powered speakers and you won't need an external amp.. all you need to do is input a signal from your mixer or whatever and you're ready to rock. JBL also makes a non-powered version.. that you'd have to power with an external amp.. not sure if mackie has the same though. i would recommend getting a powered one, they're easy and quick to set up, sound great not to mention very loud, and you don't have to mess around with an amp, just plug and play!

Comment

• DaStottman
          Addiction started
          • Dec 2004

Ok, so powered monitors I can plug straight into the mixer? JBL is kind of expensive, are there any other good brands?

4Mal - Twilight

Comment

• Garrick
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Jun 2004

alesis mk2 are cheap ($200 at sweetwater.cocm) and work very very well as long as you have a good amp. i got a 250 watt crown amp ($200) and those speakers are plenty good for that. or just get the pre-amp mk2s for $400. either way, they are good. i just like the versatility of being able to use an amp for any set of speakers i want, so i didn't buy the preamp with the speakers.
            Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• DaStottman
              Addiction started
              • Dec 2004

I found this on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Is this the type of speaker you are talking about? What model Crown amp do you use?

4Mal - Twilight

Comment

• DaStottman
                Addiction started
                • Dec 2004

Garrick: Is the 250 watt amp the Crown XLS 202 by chance?

4Mal - Twilight

Comment

• Digger
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Nov 2004

JBL or Mackie?s the best....with one you can make a party at your house.... and you dont need more thing to party....well some chicks.....and you can bring them to whateverplace you want....
                  https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013&g=bb">https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"> https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013">https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013
                  All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

Comment

• Garrick
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DaStottman
                    Garrick: Is the 250 watt amp the Crown XLS 202 by chance?
                    yes sir. it actually might be 200 watts. but it pushed a a couple sony tower speakers plus these alesis mk2s at a party for a couple hours at fairly high volume before it over-heated. had to wait like 20-30 minutes and then it was good to go again.

and your ebay link for the speakers.... you got it, that is the model i have.
                    Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• Jenks
                      I'm kind of a big deal.
                      • Jun 2004

Re: Speakers/monitors/whatever

regarding the mackie vs jbl thing...

no comparison, Mackies are the b-o-m-b.

Comment

• DaStottman
                        Addiction started
                        • Dec 2004

Re: Speakers/monitors/whatever

Ok thanks for the suggestions. By the way, I had another question. Would it be ok if I use two different Technics models as my turntables? I won an eBay auction for a Technics M3D and I already have an S-1200 MK2. Anyone here have "mismatched" turntables?

4Mal - Twilight

Comment

• influx
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Jun 2004

yeah it'd be ok technically. i don't see why it would cause any problems...

Comment

Working...