X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • berps
    Gold Gabber
    • Jul 2004

musical roots??????

just thought id ask the question of what people on mercury server have listened to genre wise so far during the years upto present date??????
    im 32 this year so i aint gonna embarrass myself anymore by not mentioning dance related stuff of my childhood so heres my censored musical history from about tha age of 13

1/ breakdance and electro / afrika bambaata, soul sonic force, grandmaster flash etc etc
    2/ hip hop and rap / beastie boys, ultramagnetic mcs, public enemy etc etc
    3/ old school rave / top buzz, easygroove, pilgrim etc etc
    4/ jungle / swanne, grooverider, kenny ken etc etc
    5/ intelligent drum and bass / bukem, fabio etc etc
    6/ house / oakenfold,tong etc etc
    7/ progressive house / sasha, digweed etc etc
    8/ breaks / lavelle,freeland evil 9 etc etc
    9/ tech and progressive house / sasha, zabeila, digweed etc etc

obviously theres some stuff thats a cross over that you cant really pigeon hole and just label it electronic dance music (massive attack faithless etc etc down tempo stuff) but i still enjoy listenin yo it all still to this day and i just wondered what everyone elses musical roots where it aint for no survey or no college paper just curious!!!!!!!!!

berps
    "IM GETTING CAKED@THEWEEKEND!!!!!!!!! "
  • remoh
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

ive always listened to some form of dance music..
    back in 1987 stuff like taylor dane, rick ashtley,madonna and stuff like that...
    my friends and i had a mobile dj set up..we used to get booked for parties.. i remember we had a shitty 4 channel mixer without EQ or gains, 2 home turntables, a home amp, 2 home made mids, 2 home made highs adn we bought some big ass speakers for lows..back home that was the in thing mobile discos they were called, imagine a dj booth with the name of the company.....huge speaker walls and enough lights to make you blind..some had names like explosion people, cocos, sandy lane, our was sound machine...people would rent them out for birthdays ,weddings, school proms, block parties, etc...we partied from weds-sund every week...my friends would never let me spin because it was their turntables :cry: .. they would play a mixed tape when they needed to go to take a break and i would go back there and act like i was spinning.i remember one party i was getting all into it and i pulled down the wrong level and silenced the music so i did what any true mc would do and yelled out the 1990's equivalent of make some fucking noise!.... hehehehe good times...we were middle high class kids so we would get booked for rich kids parties. we would go 9 deep, drink all the drinks, eat all the food and dance with all the girls
    then the music started evolving to acid house and hip house with artists like lee morrow, age P.E. , gino latino...i wish i could remember some more names ..fuck any of those tracks now would set it off..
    then around 1992 the scene started dying out... people werent doing the mobile disco thing too much because it ment huge parties and millions of people trying to crash them...
    i kept my dance roots but turned to rock: GNR, def leopard, bon jovi....then i came to the states for the final stay.. i thought shit all these records they are playing back home are from the US so ill be able to find anything i want..boy was i wrong...nobody knew what house music was.. i was in NYC mind you not a hick town....so i said fuck it and started listening to grunge... in Ny i met this chick that claimed she sang for techno songs, and she invited me to limelight to see her friend spin..turns out it was dj keoki who was spinning some extremely hard techno.... at the 04 wmc i picked up a record from eday party to the music, and when i saw the pic i almost tripped. the girl in the pic looked like the girl that took me to limelight

anyway in 1994 i got married and my chances to find house music where slim i didn't go out much..i listened to stuff like pearl jam, stp, alice in chains, tool, korn, metallica, rage...
    1998 i got divorced and started clubbing again... i found EDM again and in the summer of 2001 i was able to buy my first turntables...
    summer 2002 i was playing some of the mayor clubs in vegas..
    now i play in my bedroom waiting for yao to discover me

sorry i gave you a life story
    [URL="http://www.darkdrums.com/"]| Visit www.darkdrums.com |
    |http://myspace.com/darkdrumsmusic |

Comment

• futura
      Getting Somewhere
      • Jun 2004

I listen to a variety of music from classical, rock, to some occassonal rap (very very occasional). The only thing I truly avoid is country. But even then, a little Johnny Cash is alright.

However, I always end up coming back to the electronic stuff and prefer prog house.

But on the other side, the only thing that my wife can agree on musically is classic jazz. So, needless to say, I probably listen to more jazz than anything. I can dig it. She also gets into some of the downtempo/jazzy stuff like K&D/Thievery/Fila Brazilia/etc.

At work/in my headphones - I prefer electronic, so I sometimes feel like I live this sort of split personality. Electronic at work/by myself, and jazz/compromise music the rest of the time. Compromise can be good, overall I prefer GOOD music, rather than a single kind of music.
      may the groove be with you

Comment

• dusk
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

Lets just say I grew up on Madonna, Michael Jackson, ABBA, whitney houston and general pop music, but over the years (depending on what stage of life I was at) I've been through grunge, rock, metal, hardcore, electronic music, christian, gospel, rap, hiphop even alittle bit of country... wow I don't think theres any genre of music I'm afraid to explore
        ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• thesightless
          Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
          • Jun 2004

i really like any type of music where the artist is original and musical. the only thing i have ever truly disliked in all its forms was the gangsta rap.

musically, i grew up listening to rock and heavy metal bands, but quickly left those when i matured into adulthood. i begin to find out more about historical bands in the rock genre. i can remember the first time watching pink floyd's PULSE concert really stoned. i found myself in a sense of excitement and amazment. this video/CD is still the single most influential musical experience of my life. when the plane crashes and the pigs come out......WOW, then the last three songs and the extended solo from comfortablty numb with the HUGE disco ball. then ending it with the most memorable performance i have ever seen. Run like hell with all the lightning literally tied into every note david gilmore played.

so i got into rock a little more. then i went to UMASS after being discharged from ARMY. got into the club scene by going to a few parties that the wonderful ittle shop "growroom" held at the locals, i can remeber steve porter throwing it down before he got big. i played an after party and kinda got into DJ'ing. then i met Nick warren and life got different. i found dance music thatr wasnt cheesy. i bought up the first 3 GU's (TDV adn warren-prague) , then about a few months later i bought SASHA- SAN FRAN. hopped in the car, got baked and put in CD2. drove all the way to NY. and i can rememerb the tears in my eyes from that CD. an emotional expreince. breeder in all its glory. jack prongo ripping it up. MANA, derdritteraum a sorted others. WOW.
          your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
          download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• miketpoto
            Shabisquik The Ghetto Queen
            • Jan 2005

I drove from the Grand Canyon to Vegas with Sasha San Fran Disc 2 and digweed Sydney disc 1 on back and forth... Coming over the summit of a mountain you have been driving up for 45 minutes with Twilo Thunder climaxing is quite ridiculous. Understatement of the week, so far

Oh yeah, I grew up on Depeche Mode, Metallica, Nirvana, Madonna (not esther) and last not least.. Tori Amos.

Comment

Working...