X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Illuminate
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Aug 2009

Google buys Motorola Mobility for $12bn

GOOGLE has agreed to acquire Motorola Mobility for about $US12.5 billion ($12bn), a deal that spells the end of independence for a venerable American company and reshapes the booming market for smartphones as computing shifts from the desktop to mobile devices.
    The deal gives Google -- which has spurred widespread adoption of its Android mobile operating system by licensing it freely to mobile phone makers -- its own in-house hardware operation, potentially enabling it to challenge rival Apple on better terms but also raising questions for partners like Samsung Electronics, HTC Corp and LG Electronics.
    It also gives Google ownership of a huge trove of patents that it will be able to use to defend itself amid an increasing fierce war over intellectual property among technology companies.
    More fundamentally, however, the deal further hardens the battle lines in the mobile business. Apple already operates what some call a "walled garden" of operating software, mobile applications and devices like the iPhone and iPad.
    Earlier this year, Microsoft cut an extensive deal with Nokia that will see the world's top mobile phone maker adopt its Windows mobile operating system for smartphones.
    Now, Google too will be closely aligning hardware and software.
    Google executives said on a conference call that the acquisition will help protect the Android operating system from patent threats. The company also offered assurance the deal won't affect its relationships with handset-making partners that use Android.
    "With mobility continuing to take centre stage, the combination with Motorola Mobility is an extremely important event in Google's evolution," Google chief executive Larry Page said.

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
    Sbando
    - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
    Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
    Bob
    "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
    the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
    KiwiTollway

• AchtungBaby!
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Feb 2009

Re: Google buys Motorola Mobility for $12bn

131302732842.jpg

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

• unkle
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • Mar 2007

Wow. that's a lot of money. I need four lifes to spend that money.

Comment

• feather
        Shanghai ooompa loompa
        • Jul 2004

Crazy. It's like pocket cash to them. Here go buy something. Oh why not Motorola!

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
        a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
        Originally posted by m1sT3rL
        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

Working...