If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Been trying to find the best answers on google with no real luck. Basically does the PS3 upscale mp4's and at what resolution? Would I need to save these on the ps3 hdd or can them be streamed over the network?
I been thinking about converting some of my dvd's using handbrake and didn't want to go through all the trouble if the results aren't great.
It depends on the video output settings on your PS3 and it doesn't matter if the file is on the PS3 hard drive or if you stream it.
Examples using a 720p source mp4 file:
If you have set Video output to 1080p, then the Scaler will upscale to 1080p.
If you have set your video output to 720p, the mp4 won't be upscaled.
There are several upscale methods. I do not know the english expressions used in the PS3 but according to what they are called here, there should be something like: Double scaling, Normal scaling and Fullscreen scaling. The only method that doesn't alter proportions or dimensions is the normal upscaling method. But in the end it counts what YOU think looks best and just scratch what is theoretically the best if a different resolution is better for your eyes and perception. I think upscaling is a noticable improvment for the picture quality of SD files but I know more people who do not recognize a difference than people that do - so it is rather subjective lol.
When I got my PS3 I didn't know what some of the options are good for and found some helpful answers in a German Geek PS3 forum lol. The manual is not really providing insights to most of the options but that's what Geeks are good for.
We process personal data about users of our site, through the use of cookies and other technologies, to deliver our services, personalize advertising, and to analyze site activity. We may share certain information about our users with our advertising and analytics partners. For additional details, refer to our Privacy Policy.
By clicking "I AGREE" below, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our personal data processing and cookie practices as described therein. You also acknowledge that this forum may be hosted outside your country and you consent to the collection, storage, and processing of your data in the country where this forum is hosted.
Comment