• Show
Clear All
  • delirious
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

Financial Times Editorial

Bush has misled Americans on Iraq
    Published: June 18 2004 5:00 | Last Updated: June 18 2004 5:00

The congressional commission investigating the September 11, 2001 attacks on the US has concluded that there is no evidence to support the Bush administration's thesis that Saddam Hussein helped Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda organisation carry them out. This conclusion, emerging from a strong tradition of congressional oversight, could be taken further.

The evidence the administration produced to demonstrate the link was, at best, spurious, at worst, fabricated. This is not a small matter, especially in the context of the Bush team's case for its war of choice against Iraq.

The first public justification for the war was that the Iraqi dictator possessed weapons of mass destruction with which he could dominate his neighbours and threaten the west. This was always an exaggeration. There was some reason to believe he had residual chemical and biological weapons, but none whatsoever to suggest he had reconstituted a nuclear arms programme. As we now know, no WMD of any description have been found; not one US assertion to the United Nations Security Council by Colin Powell, secretary of state, in February last year, has been substantiated.

The second public justification - which was wheeled on stage to distract the audience from the embarrassing absence of WMD - was that the war was about freeing Iraqis and, indeed, the Middle East from tyranny. After Falluja and Abu Ghraib, however, 92 per cent of Iraqis regard US troops as occupiers, while 2 per cent see them as liberators, according to a Coalition Provisional Authority poll.

Yet there was nothing intrinsically absurd about the WMD fears, or ignoble about opposition to Saddam's tyranny - however late Washington developed this. The purported link between Baghdad and al-Qaeda, by contrast, was never believed by anyone who knows Iraq and the region. It was and is nonsense, the sort of "intelligence" true believers in the Bush camp lapped up from clever charlatans they sponsored such as the now disgraced Ahmad Chalabi. Yet, even this week, vice-president Dick Cheney continues to assert Saddam had "long-established ties with al-Qaeda".

No wonder that, until recently, polls regularly showed more than half of Americans believed Iraq was behind the attack on New York's twin towers.

Whether the Osama and Saddam thesis was more the result of self-delusion or cynical manipulation, it - along with Washington's mismanagement of the whole Iraqi adventure - has been enormously damaging.

The Bush administration has misled the American people. It has isolated the US, as American diplomats and commanders pointed out this week. And its bungling in Iraq has given new and terrifying life to the cult of death sponsored by Osama bin Laden. Above all, it inspires little confidence it is capable of defeating the spreading al-Qaeda franchise, which always was the clear and present danger.

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentSe...=1087373094470
  • Galapidate
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

No offense, but this is old news. He mentioned a few months ago he had no connection between Saddam and Al Qaeda.

Comment

• delirious
      Addiction started
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Galapidate
      No offense, but this is old news. He mentioned a few months ago he had no connection between Saddam and Al Qaeda.
      No, in fact he said there was no connection between Iraq and 9/11.

Comment

• neoee
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

OOPS, its only cost us 119 BILLION.
        "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• mylexicon
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2004

*yawn* I've become so desentized by all the bullshit i've read, i've decided
          i'm not even going to evaluate new material, i'm simply going to keep it
          marked unread.

The market has been super-saturated with Bush hate, and now he'll be a
          shoo-in, because not even the dumbest American is willing to believe that a
          man who has been relatively well respected his entire life can turn this evil
          in the amount of time it takes to go from "not at war" to "at war".
          Be a vegan......eat freedom fries..

Comment

• delirious
            Addiction started
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by mylexicon
            *yawn* I've become so desentized by all the bullshit i've read, i've decided
            i'm not even going to evaluate new material, i'm simply going to keep it
            marked unread.

The market has been super-saturated with Bush hate, and now he'll be a
            shoo-in, because not even the dumbest American is willing to believe that a
            man who has been relatively well respected his entire life can turn this evil
            in the amount of time it takes to go from "not at war" to "at war".
            I don't hate Bush... I hate his policies.

Big difference.

Saying his policies isolate the United States and cause terrorism (terrorist attacks now at a 26 year high, according to the State Dept), doesn't mean that Bush is evil but that his policies are failing.

Everything doesn't have to be "evil" or "good". Some presidents are good people but are otherwise clueless on how to manage international affairs. Always reverting things to a "black or white", "good or evil" argument is just a way to avoid debating Bush's policies and record.

Comment

• FM
              Wooooooo!
              • Jun 2004

but Americans are dumb enough and grate it down to either you like him or hate him..."as a person" (which isn't true, but it's perceived as such)
              FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
              "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
              Facebook!
              A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• delirious
                Addiction started
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by FM
                but Americans are dumb enough and grate it down to either you like him or hate him..."as a person" (which isn't true, but it's perceived as such)
                No, that's not true... not all Americans are like that. Most of my American friends are very open minded and are able to distinguish between the person and the policies.

Comment

Working...