X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

NASA’s Cassini orbiter snaps unbelievable picture of Saturn

Science fiction movies have spoiled us on high definition views of our planetary neighbors, but real-life photographs with equal jaw-dropping potential are exceedingly rare. That's what makes NASA's awe-inspiring snapshot of Saturn (hi-res version here) such a stunning piece of eye candy.

Taken by NASA's
    Cassini robotic orbiter, the shot was captured from the dark side of Saturn as the Sun's bright rays illuminated every piece of dust and debris circling the planet. Cassini has offered astronomers a never-before-seen look at Saturn and revealed more information about the planet than any craft before it. The craft has taken so many pictures of the ringed wonder that they were recently made into a short flyby film that looks like it was created by George Lucas rather than a robotic space explorer.

The Cassini probe was launched in 1997 and took a further 7 years to reach Saturn's orbit. The total cost of its overarching objective of studying the ringed planet stands at a staggering $3.26 billion. However, the wealth of information it has wrought — including amazing pictures like the one above, and recordings of
    massive lightning storms on the planet — have already made it one of the best investments in space exploration.

Hopefully Juno — which
    began a 5-year trek to Jupiter just last month — will bring us some equally stunning shots of Saturn's neighbor.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technolo...144133480.html

It was fun while it lasted...
  • sakio pod
    SALAD TOSSER
    • Jun 2004

Re: NASA’s Cassini orbiter snaps unbelievable picture of Saturn

Nice!! Just waiting for the big day!

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

Hmmm why does Saturn look like a magnifying glass?

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• feather
        Shanghai ooompa loompa
        • Jul 2004

This is ... real OMFG

Love the Adagio for Strings soundtrack.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
        a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
        Originally posted by m1sT3rL
        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Kamal
          Administrator
          • May 2002

surprising that cassini flew between the solid of the rings, I knew they did a fly between a section of the rings that had a 4 mile wide slit but this was a head scratcher. fantastic video and epic project anyways.
          www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
          he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
          Originally posted by ace_dl
          Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
          I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• Garrick
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Jun 2004

wow that picture is beautiful.... so tranquil seeming.
            Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• sakio pod
              SALAD TOSSER
              • Jun 2004

hope cassini catches nibiru, this picture almost looks fake.

Comment

• Kamal
                Administrator
                • May 2002

Originally posted by sakio pod
                hope cassini catches nibiru.
                lmao, opposite ends iirc
                www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                Originally posted by ace_dl
                Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
                I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• trick12
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jul 2007

Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

Working...