X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZendoBro
    Mr. Roboto
    • Dec 2004

Sony Minidisc

Okay. I need all you tech gurus out there to help me. I'm looking at investing into a Sony Minidisc but I haven't been able to find much info about them at all. The reason I would like to invest in one is for purposes of recording myself mixing. Is this possible with all DJ mixers? Right now I have a Pioneer DJM-300-S and I would think it would be easier to record myself that way than plugging my mixer into my CPU soundcard and recording myself with Soundforge. Anyway. Let me know your thoughts on this and perhaps better technology than the Minidisc to accomplish what I'm looking for. Also. Is it easy to convert the Minidisc files to .mp3 or .wav formats?
    I am no cyberwhore...
    http://www.myspace.com/zendobro
  • beto
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

for extensive technical info: www.minidisc.org
    for prices, novelties, imports: www.minidisco.com

I own a (rather old but tough as a nail) MZ-R70 an I'm still thrilled with it. I take it everywhere, street, travels, just one battery and you have days of continuous music, small, light, easy to use, easy to record, edit, delete... As long as you can use an inline on it (analog or optical digital) you can record anything, newer models with better digital compression should be your choice, you can record 4+, 6+ hours with great audio quality.

There are a lot of MD players out there. I have a thing for Sony players, but you should do a little research, minidisc.org has tons of articles on MD's.

good luck!

Comment

• Pataky P
      asdf_imo
      • Jun 2004

Great Links!!I like it!!

Comment

• Hos
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

i have had nothing but trouble. ATRAC is a very tired format, taking ATRAC to PC for post processing and mp3 conversion is tedious, even with the USB models. with older models you have to literally play the whole mix and record to the PC using something like cool edit (adobe audition). If I were you, I'd invest in a decent soundcard and record your sets directly to your PC as raw audio. you'll get much more versatility and it really isn't anymore hassle (in fact considerably less) than a minidisc. sure with an md you have a nice little unit, which you can carry round all over, but for me you should see what it would cost to buy a simple flash drive mp3 player and an upgrade you your soundcard, if needed, plus decent quality phono leads, and compare that to the purchase of a minidisc player.
        black is the new black www.mercuryserver.com

Comment

• Hos
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

btw also check the equivalent bit rates ATRAC produces when compared to mp3. I am pretty certain that you will never get music at 320kbps on the uncompressed ATRAC setting.

Comment

• miketpoto
            Shabisquik The Ghetto Queen
            • Jan 2005

or get a Mac. 500 american for the mac mini, G4 entire system minus monitor and keyboard,you will never have an issue recording live, and the unit is 6inx6inx2in

but PCs can record just fine too

Comment

• ZendoBro
              Mr. Roboto
              • Dec 2004

Re: Sony Minidisc

Thank you very much for your input Hos. It was an answer I was really looking for.
              I am no cyberwhore...
              http://www.myspace.com/zendobro

Comment

• Hos
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jun 2004

no probs

Comment

• asdf_admin
                  i use to be important
                  • Jun 2004

I will like to add one thing.

Please do not buy that POS. Atrac is the worst fucking format ever. It will cause more headache and pains you can ever imagine.

where is my beer? fucking filth fuck flattering filth fuck.
                  dead, yet alive.

Comment

• GregWhelan
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jun 2004

Yep, I wouldnt recommend an MD.I have one,and while its good for listening to music on etc its not the best for recording sets.Save up more moey and buy what the others above have mentioned!

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                      Not cool enough
                      • Jun 2004

I've recorded every one of my sets to MD so far and aside from the hassle of having to record it in real time into my computer, i've enjoyed it very much. It's also great for recording your buddies set when you are playing live.

If you have the ability to record directly into your computer. I say DO IT. You'll save yourself a lot of time and hassles. Besides that, unless you have a new MD the older ones like I have you can only record 80 minutes on a disc. Not so good if you wanna do a long set.
                      Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                      My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                      My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• MDE420
                        Getting warmed up
                        • Jan 2005

If your gona get a MD player, Sony has just recently released there HiMD versions. I think the each disc holds 1gb. I have been using MDs for ahwile but feel kinda behind the times when i see what else is out there.

Comment

• unrecogniseduser
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Jun 2004

look for the iriverH320. Thats a 20Gb mp3 player that can record directly to mp3 via a line in, or even a microphone. I have one and its awesome.
                          motherlover

Comment

• Hos
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Jun 2004

^shame it looks like this

:cry:

Comment

• Kobe
                              I wish I had an interesting User title
                              • Jun 2004

iRiver H10 can record line-in, but in mp3 format and you need an add-on cradle to get the line-in input
                              Beats are my crack.

Comment

Working...