Clear All
  • fishingnut
    Addiction started
    • Nov 2004

Tsunami victims file lawsuit

Tsunami victims file lawsuit
    From correspondents in Vienna
    March 06, 2005
    SEVERAL dozen European victims of Asia's tsunami disaster have filed a lawsuit demanding that Thai authorities, US forecasters, and a French hotel chain prove that they reacted adequately.

In what is believed to be the first tsunami claim worldwide, US lawyer Edward Fagan and two other lawyers have filed the suit with a New York district court on behalf of more than 60 plaintiffs from Austria, France, Germany, the Netherlands and Switzerland.
    The suit was filed against the Thai government, the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and its Tsunami Warning Centre, and the French hotel group Sofitel, said Herwig Hasslacher, one of the group's lawyers.

Advertisement:
    The plaintiffs accuse Thai authorities of not releasing information about the impending sea surge as soon as they received it, arguing that a more prompt alert would have saved thousands of lives.

They also accuse the NOAA, whose Hawaii-based tsunami warning centre covers only the Pacific, of not informing Indian Ocean states of the tsunami even though they had registered the seaquake.

The French hotel chain Sofitel, part of the group Accor, is accused of knowingly building the Sofitel Khao Lak Beach in the Thai resort of Phuket on a fault line, along with failing to inform parents of the victims and failing to repatriate some of the victims' bodies.

The lawyers said the suit was not, at present, designed to demand compensation but to uncover evidence that would prove negligence.

Mr Fagan asked the US court to ensure the preservation of key documents needed for the case, such as satellite imagery and contacts between the NOAA, Thailand and Indonesia, Mr Hasslacher said.

The court was expected to set a date for a hearing within the next 30 days in which tsunami survivors could be heard, he added.

The number of people believed to have perished in the December 26 tsunami stood at 273,435 today, more than two months after the disaster.

Mr Fagan successfully fought a class action suit against Swiss banks by Holocaust victims.

i can't believe someone's going to try to sue somebody over this. dam lawyers
    Don't post anything you wouldn't want yo mamma or the 'feds' to read.
  • thesightless
    Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
    • Jun 2004

god, its a NATURAL DISATER. this is fucking stupid. really stupid. better be thrown out. none of the plaintiffs seem to be from the actual areas.
    your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
    download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• fishingnut
      Addiction started
      • Nov 2004

it's a natural disaster but some how some bodies at fault you got to love this guys thinking.
      Don't post anything you wouldn't want yo mamma or the 'feds' to read.

Comment

• thesightless
        • Jun 2004

just giving lawyers a bad name yet again

Comment

• DJZeke
          Getting Somewhere
          • Jun 2004

that is terrible, i wonder how much they will want to settle for
          DJZeke @ SoulSeek

Comment

• Yao
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by thesightless
            god, its a NATURAL DISATER. this is fucking stupid. really stupid. better be thrown out. none of the plaintiffs seem to be from the actual areas.
            Right on the spot: it's those fucking spoiled western people at it again, we seem to be unable to cope with any events in our lives that are not within our control! This is sick, I'd almost say those people deserve to drown in retrospect. This shows a total lack for the terrible tragedy that has affected the local people, who have been struck by it much, much worse.

Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• Jenks
              I'm kind of a big deal.
              • Jun 2004

[quote="Yao"]
              Originally posted by thesightless
              This is sick, I'd almost say those people deserve to drown in retrospect.

i'll go ahead and say it...

i wish those people would have drown.

Comment

• Yao
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Jun 2004

Thanks Jenks! AAAhhh....that feels so much better...

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• thesightless
                  • Jun 2004

JENKS, I didnt say that.

Comment

• toasty
                    Sir Toastiness
                    • Jun 2004

fucking ridiculous...

Comment

• digitalghost10
                      Getting Somewhere
                      • Dec 2004

Lawyers = AIDS

Comment

• remoh
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2004

Re: Tsunami victims file lawsuit

what a joke.. so if they win does mother earth loose custody? :cry:
                        [URL="http://www.darkdrums.com/"]| Visit www.darkdrums.com |
                        |http://myspace.com/darkdrumsmusic |

Comment

• Yao
                          DUDERZ get a life!!!
                          • Jun 2004

Re: Tsunami victims file lawsuit

I guess so, then we'll have to move to Mars...see if it treats us better.

Comment

Working...