James Zabielia Last Night In Minneapolis!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • In-SighT
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

James Zabielia Last Night In Minneapolis!

Wednesday night, downtown Minneapolis, MN one of the most talented dj's rocked it for Escape ultra lounge nightclub.

He started banging the crowd right away, flawless mixing, insane scratching, and amazing effects!

Still trying to figure out how he does some of his effects, not sure what he was using, it looked like a efx-500 but I have one of those and I was unaware that you can fuck with the beat that much. recording, creating and tweaking with his own loops.. JZ does it better than anyone.

After a while the effects started to get old and some of the tracks were a little boring but he played a great show overall

Only tracks that I spotted were..
    FSOL - Pappa New Guinea
    Chemical Brothers - Galvinize (remix?)
    Aphex Twin - Window Licker (amazing unknown remix)

Overall good show, the crowd was into it, JZ seemed like he was having a good time. I rate it a 8 out of 10

I saw him play at the Cross in London last year so I am consitanently comparing him to that show, and the way he played that night, my expectations are way too high. Dammit

All I have to say is you cant talk shit about JZ until you see him live.

Anyone else there, any comments?
    "A man has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another beer."

Want Spoon'n music?
    Check out my downtempo mixes
    http://ryanlinneman.podOmatic.com
  • skam
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

i saw his last month and i should say that i was disappointed... in 2003 (warm up for sasha) and 2004 was far more superb

Comment

• arielus
      He's back, in Pog form
      • Jun 2004

have no complains this far :P

i want to see him again. caught him twice in argentina and both were perfect.
      http://www.myspace.com/hernancattaneo
      http://www.facebook.com/hernancattaneo
      http://www.soundcloud.com/hernancattaneo

Comment

• Eric Olson
        Fresh Peossy
        • Mar 2005

It always looks like he's having a blast on the decks. That kind of enthusiasm is infectious.

Comment

• phil
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Re: James Zabielia Last Night In Minneapolis!

It was quite impressive seeing Zabiela in action with the nex EFX-1000.... The opening track and few tracks after that totally got me into the groove yet for the majority of his set I was a tad bit dissapointed...

Don't get me wrong, he's easily one of the better technical DJ's out there, but when the hype continues to grow each show and his abilities continue to advance I was hoping for him to push the envelope more.... Too me it was much more of an emotional rollercoaster, he'd get the adrenaline and dancefloor jumping and going wild with his scratching then it would drop down again.... I guess I never hit that Zabiela climax moment...

He looked like he was having a blast, but had this been a weekend or a packed club, I can only imagine what it would have been like (although I've witnessed those enviornments the past two times I've seen him)... I'm sure he'll be back to the Zabiela master form @ his debut at Fabric later this month...

Either way all those that attended got their money's worth as he did more in that two hour set than most DJ's will ever do...
          Providing Aural Satisfaction

Comment

• Jibgolly
            Vortexuralizor
            • Jun 2004

cant wait to see him @ the aa arena with s&d&c.
            gonna be bonkers jee willikers! :P

Comment

• ftc
              Getting Somewhere
              • Jun 2004

i plan on seeing him tomorow night at soundbar, chicago should be an awesome gig! i'm wondering if he'll be using the dvj..
              fuck sigs.

Comment

• ZendoBro
                Mr. Roboto
                • Dec 2004

The remix he spun of Aphex Twin - Windowlicker was the Kriece Remix. I'd like to know the name of that track he spun with the wicked piano melody!
                I am no cyberwhore...
                http://www.myspace.com/zendobro

Comment

• In-SighT
                  Addiction started
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ZendoBro
                  The remix he spun of Aphex Twin - Windowlicker was the Kriece Remix. I'd like to know the name of that track he spun with the wicked piano melody!
                  First of all, thanks for the name of the aphex twin remix.. have to find this.

Second of all, if I'm thinking of the same track that you are.. that track was the highlight of the night for me... smooth melody, sweet breakbeat!
                  Butter
                  "A man has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another beer."

Want Spoon'n music?
                  Check out my downtempo mixes
                  http://ryanlinneman.podOmatic.com

Comment

• mettkea
                    Getting Somewhere
                    • Jun 2004

What a great Wednesday night!!! Had a blast just enjoying the music and the atmosphere. Zabiela was amazing as well. I have never seen him live and it was just fun to watch him screwing around with his new pioneer equipment (sort of felt like a product demo for pioneer). His ability to scratch on the fly was amazing as well. Overall had a great night, and I'm recovering at work at the moment!
                    Tunes I recogonized:

Funk Da Void - Unkown (James Zabiela edit intro version)
                    The Plump DJs - Get Kinky
                    James Zabiela - Robo Phobia
                    James Zabiela - Skanksuary
                    Mylo - Drop The Pressure (? Mix)
                    FSOL - Papua New Guinea (Some Breaks Remix)
                    Aphex Twin - Windowlicker (Kreice remix)
                    The Chemical Brothers - Galvanize (Abe Duque Remix)

Thanks James!

Comment

• ZendoBro
                      Mr. Roboto
                      • Dec 2004

Thanks mettkea! The Kreice Remix of Windowlicker is being released on Warp, but I don't know the date of the release, and if it is the same track. Man... That piano melody was insane!
                      I am no cyberwhore...
                      http://www.myspace.com/zendobro

Comment

• james-rowland
                        Fresh Peossy
                        • Mar 2005

JZ is the shizzle alright. Seen him so many times over the last 5 years.
                        That five minute abelton rave mini mix he did on radio one last week was wicked!!!

Comment

• ixmati
                          Fresh Peossy
                          • Jul 2004

Zabiela is playing Mexico City Tonight! Lovely! Ill post the review tomorrow.

Ixmatii

Comment

• ixmati
                            Fresh Peossy
                            • Jul 2004

Brilliant I would say. I had never seen him before, and I was amazed by his cretive technical skills. Zabiela arrived about 2 am. to the club, called the Acanto, which is located in the center of Chapultepec Park in Mexico City, its an beautiful club with a bar in a lake. He got there and meade the connections himself for hios efx and one of his cdj's. He started his set with some smooth melodies and atmospheres aprogressing into some great breakbeats and solid basses.
                            The crowd was crazy! And some preatty nice girls too.
                            One thing I really liked about this guy, is that he really seems he's having a wicked time all the time. Smiling, jumping and Dancing, plus delivering some great tunes. He got very dense at the last part of the set, but as soon as the sun started to come out, he threw down some sweet morning tunes. In review he played a 4 hour set with some great peaks and some devilish downfalls....the crowd was great, he even gave away 3 vynils to the people who were in front of him all night. great night. great girls, great club, awesome music and mixing. he is definetly 0ne of my favorite djs right now, inovator and loco. He indeed is loco.

cheers

Ixmatii

songs>

Mobys new song remixed.
                            Madonna- unknown
                            Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence (Ewan Pearson Remix)

Comment

• chato
                              Gold Gabber
                              • Jun 2004

you guys are very lucky.. ive never heard him before but looking a lot to see him live next time he comes to peru
                              ...enjoy every single second

Comment

Working...