X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tintin
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

I have a question about war crimes and the UN

I was watching CNN Headline News today and it said that we the US are exempt from war crime trials that are tried by the UN and that our Military Court system takes care of all our war crime trials. Our exemption is almost up too once it runs out later this year I think. Doesn't our being exempt from UN trials seem odd and justly unfair with what is going on now? Also, it seems that we may not get exempt this year because we won't have the nine votes need to do this.
  • brakada
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

Yes that is correct. While Americans pressure on some countries to cooperate with the Hague tribunal, they themselves are an exception. They are also pressuring on a lot of countries which are cooperating with the tribunal, to sign deals that they will not hand American citizens to the tribunal. Well, but double morals are nothing new...

And I think that the excuse was, that all other countries are jealous, and would exploit the tribunal to harm totally innocent Americans (which IMO would have sense, if the USA wouldn't have the most international influence, but they do, so it's a silly excuse to protect themselves and get partial "immunity" for their actions.
    We shall boldly dance, where no man has danced before..."

Comment

• neoee
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

We are talking about the 'rules' of war, which by itself makes me scratch my head. Why not just have a rule to not go to war?
      "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• tintin
        Getting Somewhere
        • Jun 2004

also with this prison abuse do you think they are gonna get as harsh of a punishment with the Miltary Court as they would have with the UN. Because if they were told to do those things the Miltary would be more leant on them then the UN would be.

Comment

• brakada
          Gold Gabber
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by tintin
          also with this prison abuse do you think they are gonna get as harsh of a punishment with the Miltary Court as they would have with the UN. Because if they were told to do those things the Miltary would be more leant on them then the UN would be.
          I don't really know, but I remember the tragedy in Italy a couple of years ago, when American pilots were flying under the wires of a cabin lift, which consequently fell down and over 10 people died. I think the punishment was, that they got 1 year of prison (or not even that) and they were discharged from service. I mean, they kill 10 people and what do they get, 1 year. I mean WTF?

Comment

• MJDub
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by brakada
            Originally posted by tintin
            I don't really know, but I remember the tragedy in Italy a couple of years ago, when American pilots were flying under the wires of a cabin lift, which consequently fell down and over 10 people died. I think the punishment was, that they got 1 year of prison (or not even that) and they were discharged from service. I mean, they kill 10 people and what do they get, 1 year. I mean WTF?
            Well did they do it on purpose with the intent to kill? Surely not.
            http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• brakada
              Gold Gabber
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by MJDub
              Well did they do it on purpose with the intent to kill? Surely not.
              No, they probably didn't, but they broke safety regulations (I guess that NOT flying under cabin-lift wires is a safety regulations ) on purpose, just to play with their fighters. So, I don't know the American laws in detail, but I think that 1 year is a bit low, don't you MJ?

Comment

Working...