X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Illuminate
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Aug 2009

7 Billion Stories....and counting

Bundles of joy to come, so don't panic...

When doctors bustled excitedly into her hospital ward to tell Anjana Arora that her newborn daughter was India's 1 billionth person, she was bewildered. ''I didn't know what a billion was,'' she recalled.

That was in 2000, when the world population was a little over 6 billion. Yesterday it hit 7 billion, on the best guess of the UN, and is growing by about 200,000 a day.

Arora's confusion is entirely understandable. It's hard to visualise 1 billion people; harder yet to imagine that we have increased the globe's population by another billion by the time of her daughter's 11th birthday.

Even more confusing is what to believe about the future. On the one hand are the Malthusian predictions of population overload and global starvation. Already a billion people do not have enough to eat, and 2.5 billion have no proper sanitation.

Yet our species is on track to add another 2.3 billion to the population of planet Earth over the next 40 years, most in poor countries. This, plus the growing appetites of fast-developing countries such as China, will raise the demand for food by 70 per cent over the same 40 years, according to the United Nations's Food and Agriculture Organisation.

Surely this is so alarming and so irresponsible that it justifies drastic measures such as China's one-child policy or India's policy of forced sterilisation?

On the other hand, the English demographer Thomas Malthus issued his dire warning of global famine in 1798 as the population was approaching 1 billion. He and all of his successors - including Aldous Huxley, William Vogt, Paul Ehrlich, the Club of Rome and Lester Brown and Dick Smith - have been insistent for two centuries now, and they have all been wrong.

Elsewhere, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon was eloquent in pointing out the “terrible contradictions” in a world of seven billion: “Plenty of food, but still a billion people going to bed hungry every night. Many people enjoy luxurious lifestyles, but still many people are impoverished.” (It calls to mind how, in order to “right” skewed prices of grain, the US government would destroy tons of the staple when halfway across the globe thousands of people in Sub-Saharan Africa were starving.) Ban went on to list the needs of seven billion people, all non-negotiable: “[E]nough food. Enough energy. Good opportunities in life for jobs and education. Rights and freedoms. The freedom to speak. The freedom to raise their children in peace and security.”

Can the government assure Danica May and the tens of thousands of infants since born after her that these needs would be sufficiently met? In the fight for resources, even now waged by grimy children sent by their parents to the streets to beg, are they guaranteed to have enough to eat? Will they be saved when the effects of climate change vis-ā-vis population growth come home to roost?
    The thought of seven billion people inhabiting the planet boggles the mind, particularly when one considers that the Philippines, where joblessness and poverty are the norm in a vast swath of the

It's also expected to reach 10 Billion by the end of 2040, it is concerning but are we really over exaggerating on doom and gloom?

There was a pretty good documentary made by Mr. Attenborough on how many people can live on planet Earth:

So should we be concerned? And what about the controversial subject of reproduction?

However, David Attenborough does summarise in his documentary, that humans adapt, as we strive for success and for the benefit in the continuous survival and sustenance of the human race itself.
    Yes the numbers may be staggering but whatever the future may hold for us, that will never be known.

However, having said this there is always a need to celebrate the human race. and to really appreciate on how each one of us plays a part. Possibly the best way to see this would be:
    This can go in the movie section after it airs tonight (in about an hour) live from Sundance. Watch it live here: http://www.youtube.com/user/lifeinaday Life In A Day is a historic global experiment to create the world's largest user-generated feature film: a documentary, shot in a single day, by you. On July 24, you have

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
    Sbando
    - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
    Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
    Bob
    "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
    the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
    KiwiTollway

• nick007
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Oct 2007

Re: 7 Billion Stories....and counting

Good read

The largest room in the world, is the room for improvement!

Comment

• unkle
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • Mar 2007

This can be a bit worrying, especially for water and food.
      until when, the earth will have resources for all ?

Comment

• Garrick
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

if the population keeps growing, the earth will eventually be depleted of resources... there is absolutely no doubt about that.

human population control can be done, just not very plausible. or by some means, ethical.
        Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• DancingQueen
          AVB FanClub | President
          • Oct 2005

Agreed, the earth most definitely will be unable to continue to sustain the demand on its natural resources at the rate we are consuming them and polluting the planet.

With regards to controlling human population, yes it can be done, and probably should be done in the near future. I think that if people stopped and realized the state of the planet and that you don't need huge families, there wouldn't be a need to even consider forcing a population control. I can't fathom in this day and age why people feel the need to have 3,4,5 or in the instance of a girl I went to HS with, 8 children!! For one, its ridiculously expensive, and 2, it just isn't necessary, but this is just my opinion.

Whatever the case, something will need to be done soon so that in 40 years we do have adequate means of healthy food and water. This is needed for our survival as well as for our planets.
          sigpic
          RIP Steve "Jibs" James - Your footprint is forever on my soul and in my heart xoxo
          RIP Jeff Shewchuk aka DJ Jeff Taylor (day_for_night) - You will live on in my heart forever xoxo

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Comment

• mnbvcxz
            Platinum Poster
            • Feb 2006

---
            Last edited by mnbvcxz; May 14, 2021, 01:06:44 AM.

Comment

• Jenks
              I'm kind of a big deal.
              • Jun 2004

Limit 2, if you want more than that, adopt one of the many that need a family.

Comment

• mnbvcxz
                Platinum Poster
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jenks
                Limit 2, if you want more than that, adopt one of the many that need a family.
                Problem solved

Comment

• Garrick
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Jun 2004

lol, this is a little random but you know what i find annoying are those stupid bumper stickers on people's cars with stick figures representing their families. and then you see the ones with like 8 kids on them.... seriously, who the hell would want EIGHT children, three dogs, a couple cats and a partridge in a pear tree!?
                  Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• Illuminate
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • Aug 2009

Yeah these are all valid points. But there are not too many families in first world countries who dare dream of having 8 children, yes child support can only go so far...

I think the problem lies in the third world countries that may still believe in polygamy and having excessive children. It just amazes me that nearly half the population of the world does not even have proper sanitation or access to continuous drinking water, but still amazingly have an ability to raise multiple children. It's a tough ask, but I think educating the problem here can have a major impact.

It is controversial, but you'd think they should start sooner than later.

Sbando
                    - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
                    Feather

Bob
                    the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
                    KiwiTollway

Comment

• unkle
                      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                      • Mar 2007

In Asia, I can not remember the country, China, Korea, or some of those,
                      where the population is too much, the families can not have more than
                      two children. if they violate the law are heavily fined by the government.
                      I can not remember exactly how it is his law, I read it long time ago.

Comment

• GreenLantern
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Jul 2006

vasectomy's should be free. i'm willing and ready. *slaps nuts on table.

Comment

• diegoff
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Illuminate
                          Yeah these are all valid points. But there are not too many families in first world countries who dare dream of having 8 children, yes child support can only go so far...

I think the problem lies in the third world countries that may still believe in polygamy and having excessive children. It just amazes me that nearly half the population of the world does not even have proper sanitation or access to continuous drinking water, but still amazingly have an ability to raise multiple children. It's a tough ask, but I think educating the problem here can have a major impact.

It is controversial, but you'd think they should start sooner than later.
                          I agree... when I think of having children, besides the love and that I think if I can give them everything to have food, education and a healthy enviroment. But that's because I had those things. So as I always think, education is the first thing to be done. And best thing you can educate is this: to choose between posibilities.
                          Itīs a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
                          Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
                          May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• Illuminate
                            DUDERZ get a life!!!
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by GreenLantern
                            vasectomy's should be free. i'm willing and ready. *slaps nuts on table.

If only we all had the same mindset as yours.

No, all we need to do is control your outputs limit to a maximum of two. If not adopt or buy/reuse/recycle animals.

Sbando
                            - You Will Be Missed.

Feather

Bob
                            the banned1

KiwiTollway

Comment

Working...