X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael^Heaven
    Platinum Poster
    • May 2008

#11----Congrats Kelly!

OCEAN BEACH, San Francisco/California (Sunday, November 6, 2011) – Kelly Slater (USA), 39, has officially claimed a historic 11th ASP World Title today, clinching the year-long pursuit with his advancement in to the Quarterfinals of the Rip Curl Pro Search San Francisco.

In tricky three-to-five foot (1.5 metre) waves, Kelly Slater got the best of young Brazilians Miguel Pupo (BRA), 19, and Gabriel Medina (BRA), 17, in his non-elimination Round 4 heat to advance directly through to the Quarterfinals and secure an unprecedented 11th ASP World Title.

“It was a confirmed the other day, but we’re sure now,” Slater said. “I’m stoked. I was upset about it, but I also thought it was really funny. There are no hard feelings towards ASP and mistakes happen. It’s easy to point things out. It was a little tough to readjust and I was going against kids who could be my kids and they throw radical airs. I was hoping for big offshore barrels, not closeout onshore ramps. I just didn’t know what to expect out there. I didn’t know if we’d have air sections and it was kind of flat with a lot of power. The waves were closeouts and fast with a weird landing.”

Slater, who was prematurely crowned the ASP World Champion after a mathematical error occurred earlier this week, admitted that securing his 11th elite crown today was a bit lackluster, but remained positive regarding the mistake.

“It’s a little anticlimactic,” Slater said. “I texted my mom, because it’s funny because I didn’t really have the emotion the other day. This is my profession and it’s a little on me to know the situation and it’s not just everyone else’s fault. There have been a few of these mistakes over the course of history, but this one was a bit weird, but I called Renato (Hickel) in the morning after I won because I was supposed to do this Dan Patrick show and I hadn’t won yet. I knew we wouldn’t surf for a day or two so people could get it out of their system and I could have a few days to refocus.”
  • Illuminate
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Aug 2009

Re: #11----Congrats Kelly!

I give it to this guy. Hand's down there will never be another surfer like him. It's inscribed in the history books. Man it would have went off at Ocean Beach.

Missed the finals, hope youtube has the highlights up.

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
    Sbando
    - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
    Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
    Bob
    "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
    the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
    KiwiTollway

Comment

• Michael^Heaven
      Platinum Poster
      • May 2008

Re:

No worries. They've only completed round 4 of the contest. There's plenty more of The Search San Francisco to come in the next few days.

Comment

Working...