If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
I can't help the fact that I want to believe that JoePa is free from any wrongdoing. For whatever reason I wish that he would walk away with his image intact, but it's obvious that isn't going to happen. To see a great man's career ruined by some sick fuck is really unfortunate.
HIS career would have been intact if he had done something to prevent abuse.
He made an active decision not to.
Other boys were abused because of his inaction.
It is an indefensible situation. IMHO.
You are actually trying to argue that because he is successful in his job, then he should be devoid of any responsibility as an actual human being?
There are plenty of people with successful jobs.
....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....
HIS career would
You are actually trying to argue that because he is successful in his job, then he should be devoid of any responsibility as an actual human being? .
That's not at all what I am suggesting. Not in the least bit.
I've lived my entire lifespan in Big10 country. For as long as I can remember I have been watching Big10 football. I grew up watching teams like Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. Through that I came to admire Joe Paterno as well as many other past and present coaches/players over the years as a Big10 fan.
All I am saying is that I wish this never would have happened. I wish JoePa could ride off into the sun as arguably the greatest college football coach in history and more importantly as a leader, mentor and great example for the many young men he has coached through his many years at PSU.
He may not have done enough bring light to this, but I refuse to believe that he orchestrated a cover up or created an environment that allowed this kind of thing to go on. I am 1000% sure that if Paterno knew more about what was going on he would've ran Sandusky out of the program many years ago.
He personally told BOTH of his supervisors what the grad assistant told him and in turn his superiors handled the matter. Was it his job to go on a personal crusade to verify a grad assistant's story about a well respected man of the university? Absolutely not. If you read the report it's pretty clear the cover-up was executed by the AD and VP of Finance/Business for the university. Should Paterno have called his superiors everyday to check up on the progress of the investigation? NO. Paterno let his superiors do their jobs just as they let JoePa do his.
Everyone seems to think that Coach Paterno is omniscient and that he runs everything at PSU. Not true. He's a god-damned football coach. He's not an investigator, detective or moral policeman. He's paid to win football games and build the program through recruiting...end of story.
If it comes to light that he covered things up or had any hand in what went on then I will be the first to condemn him for his actions or inactions.
I am 1000% sure that if Paterno knew more about what was going on he would've ran Sandusky out of the program many years ago.
The fact is, he knew enough, and didn't. How much more information did he need? I think the allegation was strong enough.
He personally told BOTH of his supervisors what the grad assistant told him and in turn his superiors handled the matter. Was it his job to go on a personal crusade to verify a grad assistant's story about a well respected man of the university?
When a 10 year old boy is sodomized in his locker room shower by a member of his staff- yes, he should personally see those allegations to their resolution. That's his job as a human being.
Should Paterno have called his superiors everyday to check up on the progress of the investigation?
Absolutely!
He's a god-damned football coach. He's not an investigator, detective or moral policeman. He's paid to win football games and build the program through recruiting...end of story.
Come on Weizy, are you really playing the "that wasn't his job" card here? A child was raped by HIS coach on HIS watch in HIS locker room. Just because it isn't in his job description as a football coach to, uh, i dunno, give more of a shit about it, as a human being, it's his moral obligation to do more than he did. Instead, he passed the buck and went about his business. That's unacceptable given the weight of the claims. We're not talking about some sneakers being stolen here.
We will never know, because Paterno didn't follow up any further than he did, but maybe if he had been at least a little persistent about the issue, then dozens of other children might not have been victimized over the past decade.
I'm not hanging this all on Joe, the situation warranted more of a response from EVERYONE, including Joe Paterno, but he was one of the ones that let it go. That's a complete failure any way you slice it from the President of the University to the AD on down through Joe Paterno, and they all should be held accountable. From the sound of it, the board of trustees agrees, and house is getting cleaned.
wow this thread exploded... i have no idea what that acronym stands for, jenks but i'm sure i obviously fall into that category. i admit to not knowing all the facts. i personally thought he would have had to know something but never read enough to know that he factually did. never liked him anyways. touche.
Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?
This wasn't about saying it was Paterno's fault, it's the entire chain of command's fault at Penn State, but Joe doesn't get a pass either.
I'm just disgusted people in power didn't do more at the time. Hind sight is always 2020, but this one is difficult to grasp why it went down like that.
I prob went a bit too far in saying it's Paterno's fault. He is at fault one way or another. The one piece that I wish we had more information on is what the grad assistant actually told Paterno. However, at this point it really doesn't matter.
Per that piece, PSU policy Paterno was required to notify the VP of Student Affairs and police. I don't believe he did either of those. You can tell from his quotes that he's heartbroken:
"This is a tragedy," Paterno said in a statement. "It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."
Man I am really disappointed by all of this. Most news stories don't have an effect on me, but after reading that report today I just feel terribleabout the whole ordeal. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims.
Yeah, this isn't over by a long shot. I think we're going to see more indictments now that the situation is going to be properly investigated with a fine tooth comb.
If this was really a genuine response to Joe Paterno being let go from Penn State and not just an excuse to break shit, then I clearly don't understand the religion that is mid-west football.
We process personal data about users of our site, through the use of cookies and other technologies, to deliver our services, personalize advertising, and to analyze site activity. We may share certain information about our users with our advertising and analytics partners. For additional details, refer to our Privacy Policy.
By clicking "I AGREE" below, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our personal data processing and cookie practices as described therein. You also acknowledge that this forum may be hosted outside your country and you consent to the collection, storage, and processing of your data in the country where this forum is hosted.
Comment