X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kamal
    Administrator
    • May 2002

Samsung Galaxy S2 (ATT)

Guys I might have to change everyone's mind (including mine) about getting Android devices. During my recent trip overseas, I met with a software maker that we use, who also created apps for their software, for BBs, iPhones and lastly Android devices. Their software team commented about a whole bunch of "unidentifiable" services that appeared to be running under the core Android OS that they believed was transmitting data back to Google. Moreover, when they tried to disable the services, it rendered the OS inoperable.

I pride my privacy as much as the next person and this is definitely not something that sat well with me. It's also one of the key reasons I won't use Chrome, you just dont know how much data they're mining about you and your smartphone is the epic collection of your private info.

Buyer be warned.
    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
    Originally posted by ace_dl
    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me
  • res0nat0r
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • May 2006

Re: It's here fellas...

Humm...I bet if it was seriously technically looked into it is a lot less scary than it sounds. Did you hear about the huge uproar earlier this year about the iPhone uploading your coordinates or tracking some kind of data about your location that everyone assumed was apple spying on you? It was was a database it was keeping up to date of cellphone tower locations to help the software properly triangulate cell tower handoffs or something such.

A lot of this suspicious stuff from the outsider can look scary, but it is just code doing specific functions, you have to really spend some serious time with someone who knows their shit and also the code to know whats going on.

Also FWIW most of the Android ecosystem is open source vs iOS and BB...so technically this should lead to less bad stuffz, as anyone can peer review the code, vs a set of developers working behind a curtain.

Just my .02c though

Comment

• Kamal
      Administrator
      • May 2002

Valid points, but these guys are great programmers and for their lead programmer to mention it was unnerving.
      www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
      he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
      I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• dusk
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

^^ I have to agree with this. One of my pet peeves when it came to my Samsung Galaxy was those damn processes running in the background eating my battery life.
        ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• Kamal
          Administrator
          • May 2002

This has got to be a heck of a deal. S2 black Friday deal for $0.96 ay Sams club

www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• Kamal
            Administrator
            • May 2002

Huggie, I finally did it. I finally got the S2. I took the flyer to an Att store and got the phone for $1. So in love with this device.
            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• Kamal
              Administrator
              • May 2002

Samsung Galaxy S2 (ATT)

So instead of hijacking the iPhone thread, thought I'll start a new thread for the Sammy. Got it yesterday for $1 at a local ATT shop (showed them the Black Friday flyer from Sams club and they matched it). So far I'm absolutely LOVING the device. The screen turns SO BLACK in the black areas, its like the darkness of space. Brief overview from the last 12 hours

Pluses

- Battery life is GREAT. Much better than my rooted HTC Desire HD
              - Amazing Screen
              - Fast (the dual core processor REALLY REALLY shines)
              - Light (weight)
              - Comes with 16 gb of onboard space, with my 32 gig card added, I have a ton of room now

Minuses

- Screen does not stay on when the device is plugged in
              - No night clock
              - The default music player on HTC was a lot better and sounded a whole lot nicer than on the Sammy

I'll post more in time but so far, I've had mixed emotions about the purchase. I wanted a connected device which I have got, I just hope it lives up to itself over time.
              www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• Kamal
                Administrator
                • May 2002

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 (ATT)

Free hack to unlock the S2, provided the device has been rooted

www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• dusk
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Jun 2004

^^^ Glad to hear that you're loving it K.

However all I can say is once bitten twice shy.... don't think I'll ever get a Samsung device again!

Comment

• dusk
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kamal
                    Free hack to unlock the S2, provided the device has been rooted

https://market.android.com/details?i...2simunlockcode

Now that's a bonus

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                      Anyone have Styx livesets?
                      • Jun 2004

totally bizarre - I got mine today! however with sprint - due to the unlimited download.

SO FAR (only a few hours) reception is almost non existent at my house! - will have to see what tis all about.

"Screen does not stay on when the device is plugged in" - I know! WTF is that all about?
                      ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• feather
                        Shanghai ooompa loompa
                        • Jul 2004

$1 up front without a contract? Damn I should've tried getting that

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                        a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                        Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Kamal
                          Administrator
                          • May 2002

Originally posted by Huggie Smiles
                          "Screen does not stay on when the device is plugged in" - I know! WTF is that all about?
                          Huggie get the app "screen on". You can select which apps, when running, will leave the screen on. But I read that because of burn-ins on the super Amoled displays, it's not recommended to keep the screen on all the time. Another major negative.

Originally posted by feather
                          $1 up front without a contract? Damn I should've tried getting that
                          Naa it was a two year contract.

New negative. Typing on this thing officially sucks. Was 10,000 times easier on my HTC.
                          www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• poults
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Nov 2006

I like the samsung keyboard but just dont like where a few keys are placed down the bottom so i downloaded the gingerbread keyboard which is a lot better.
                            Originally posted by Hoff

ejejejejejejejejeje!!!!! you always delivering some good dogs shits !!! thankyou

Comment

• Kamal
                              Administrator
                              • May 2002

I had made my above post from my phone and didn't realize how many typos I had mad (just fixed them). I found a new pain in the ass reason to hate the keyboard, each time you type a word and it's spelt incorrectly or auto-corrected incorrectly, if you delete just a part of that word and re-type it, the system only takes the new part of the word as an independent word and saves it to the dictionary. WTF.

This means it's going to have a bunch of new obscure words and auto-correct is going to go insane by 10x.

Granted speed, battery-life, screen size, and having bridged the gap with it's iphone-esque surfing are all major pats on the back, but the above negatives (for me) are nibbling away at those benefits.
                              www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

Working...