X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaStottman
    Addiction started
    • Dec 2004

James Zabiela

I couldn't believe my ears while listening to his Kiss 100 set. His set had such rockin' tunes and they were very powerful imo. What are some other tunes he's played recently (either live or radio) that are a similar style? I'm not sure how I would classify JZ, but I'm assuming he's some kind of prog breaks?
    My Top 5 Tunes Of The Moment:

Beckers - Fake (Greg Churchill Remix)
    4Mal - Twilight
    Formulate - The Voice Of Qi
    Mat Leutwyler & Jason Suzuki - The Contended Gastronome (Kosmas Epsilon Remix)
    Classic Tune: Djum Djum - Difference
  • Homskillet
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Re: James Zabiela

I'm going to have to agree... after hearing this last mix, I've had a new appreciation for James.

Good shit!
    https://soundcloud.com/dahlheim/shadynasty-tres-final

Comment

• miketpoto
      Shabisquik The Ghetto Queen
      • Jan 2005

Hell yeah, check out this thread with my link to pics and vids. His NYE set and the kiss set dont tell how he played that night, but its ALL good, not even my style so much at all, but he makes me love it like a dirty little girl.

Comment

• c_zavala
        Getting warmed up
        • Jan 2005

the song at min 16 is amazing

Comment

• lucasvickers
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2004

oh hell fuckin yeah....

I have been bitching about zabiela for a while, due to his lack of flow.

I even once told him he'd be a better hiphop dj than a house dj.

but this set rocks, its got his random musical elements, his fucking with sounds, BUT IT STILL FLOWS

dude do this live and you got your ass a new fan

(i hope he reads this)

thank you james
          War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
          - Ambrose Bierce

Comment

• peloquin
            Till I Come!
            • Jun 2004

pretty much everything i've ever heard from james has been gold imo. this kiss mix is no exception, although i wouldnt say its my favorite mix of his. maybe i need another listen

Comment

• lucasvickers
              Addiction started
              • Jun 2004

i usually finds he does not flow musically and concentrates more on effects than actual music.
              War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
              - Ambrose Bierce

Comment

• mmglobal
                Gold Gabber
                • Sep 2004

One of the hardest working dj's right now on the scene. Have you guys seen his schedule this month? Makes me tired just reading about it!
                One of the greatest dj's behind the decks too at the moment as well. I've always enjoyed seeing him live and hearing what mixes I can of his. It's really great to see him as much as I have, because I feel he's the embodiment of the evolution of electronic music. James is a versitile, technical, experimental, energetic, positive, forward-thinker that is just what we need for this new chapter of the evolution of sound.

regarding his kiss mix? I'm psyched he chose to unveil his ableton set on kissfm. If anyone other than Sasha should be using Abelton Live out in the clubs...it's definately James. Plus...he's a Storm Trooper, so he automatically kicks ass.

James...if u read this...TEAR THE ROOF OFF @ FABRIC!!

I'm still baffled as to what was going on from 5:30-6:45am @ crobar w/sasha. By far the best hour or so of music I've heard in a very, very, very long time.
                Peace.

Comment

• miketpoto
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by lucasvickers
                  oh hell fuckin yeah....

I dont know who you are, but I love you for saying "oh hell fuckin yeah"... that's such a wonderful phrase when used correctly.

Comment

• jameszabiela
                    Getting warmed up
                    • Jul 2004

Always practicing and learning new stuff...

Thanks for the kind words

Jz

Comment

• Kinetic
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

^^

I admit to being guilty of posting in another thread that I had still not gotten into the whole JZ style. This was posted 2 days after the Kiss mix, and I still hadn?t heard it. I even made a "metal" analogy saying that he was a kind of Dave Mustaine to Sasha?s James Hetfield

After hearing it, all I can say is, nice way to shut me the fuck up!

And actually, I love it when that happens. I don?t know if it?s because you used a different tool to mix the set or what, but the tunes, the flow, and the stuff you threew in there makes for a brilliant set in anyone?s books.

So, I?m now a lot more looking forward to what Zabiela comes up with.

Nice work, man!
                      "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
                      http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

• Digger
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Nov 2004

downloading......read some nice reviews about this kiss100...the lastest one i heard was damn good......didnt know james zabiela was on the boards to...welcome .....to late but well it happends......whos more is on here, o mean Dj?s....porter?...and.....?? ........."something new for the change........."......maybe he put it coz he used ableton hehehe
                        https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013&g=bb">https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"> https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013">https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013
                        All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

Comment

• pretence
                          Getting Somewhere
                          • Jun 2004

Downloading now... High expectations, hope I'm not disappointed...

Comment

• miketpoto
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by jameszabiela

Always practicing and learning new stuff...

Thanks for the kind words

Jz
                            There's a lot more where that came from mister!

Anyone who makes me dance a completely different way involuntarily deserves at least kind words. Closing out Crobar 730am in NYC 2 weeks back was unforgetable, amazing intensity, and so inspiring to musically PUSH the envelope...

I have never put so much of myself into working with music as in the past few weeks, its made being broke barely noticable. (glad I already bought all those "toys")

Enjoy the Silence closing out the night ...

it sounds retarded but JZ (if yer readin) you set off my musical olfactory sense almost every time i listen to your work, you take me back to those first times I spent by myself ... where I discovered I could get lost in music , not caring or tiring of the same depeche mode track on repeat for hours in my room, my dirty little secret of how intensely the synth tones and texture made me feel (the glowing heavenly sound at the end of people are people that lingers there for a few seconds for example) , eyes closed holding back these tears of intense pleasure/happiness... and being 12 years old and convinced nobody else could every possibly understand or appreciate how incredible that felt, they'd think I was a nutcase (for the wrong reasons THATs what you give me back!

words don't tell as much as the goosebumps can show... Warm and fuzzy and foaming at the mouth all at once... and thats a good thing !

Comment

• Kobe
                              I wish I had an interesting User title
                              • Jun 2004

I'm glad you guys posted this thread, I could not agree more! The Guest Mix was fucking awesome. I have the utmost respect for JZ's skills and trickery on the decks, but I too have had trouble with the programming and selection in the past sets I've heard-- just simply not my cup of tea.

All that is in the past now, this set is on the money.
                              Beats are my crack.

Comment

Working...