X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

My 5 Favorite Things: Mike Huckaby

Detroit DJ/producer Mike Huckaby has been deep in the mix for years, regularly taking dance floors all over the world to a state of bliss while steadfastly producing sublime techno and deep house offerings. Fresh from playing European dates, Huckaby checked in from the Motor City and revealed five of his favorite things. If you like to go deep, don’t forget to pick up Tresor Records’ 20th Anniversary mixed by Mike Huckaby on November 7th.

1. Favorite hardware synthesizer: The Waldorf Wave. That’s the end all of all modern synthesizers, in my opinion. It’s the Mr. Fingers/Larry Heard dream machine for deep house. That synthesizer has turned out to be a lifetime investment for me.

2. Production software: Reaktor and Ableton Live. I’m reading the entire 800 + page Reaktor manual right now. (Even while on tour.) It’s indicating some revolutionary things that you can do with music production that I had no clue about. When that is combined with the power of Ableton Live, and the Waldorf Wave, it’s a win-win solution no matter what.

3. Deep House producers: Ron Trent, Glenn Underground, Kerri Chandler. These are the guys that I can trust the most to give me a solid house track 99 percent of the time.

4. Favorite places to DJ: The Panorama Bar, Manchester, Budapest, and Serbia. The Panorama Bar is a warriors club. That club will build your stamina up as a DJ like no other. Manchester has the most knowledgeable heads concerning house music; Budapest is underground as hell, and Serbia is more underground than Budapest. Serbia, that’s some wild, wild-ass underground right there, boy. You lose your virginity as a DJ when you DJ in eastern Europe.

5. Favorite non-musical things to do: Canoeing, holistic approaches, organic juicing, and daydreaming about Imhotep and Sun Ra’s chords. Imhotep blows my mind the same way a Sun Ra chord strikes me. I visited the Step Pyramid in Egypt, built by Imhotep, and that was a lifetime experience I’ll never forget.

--------------------------

So I gotta know now, who here has partied in clubs in Serbia? What's it like???

It was fun while it lasted...
  • floridaorange
    • Dec 2005

Re: My 5 Favorite Things: Mike Huckaby

Originally posted by floridaorange
    If you like to go deep, don’t forget to pick up Tresor Records’ 20th Anniversary mixed by Mike Huckaby on November 7th.
    Tracklisting:
    1. Surgeon – Remnants Of What Once Was
    2. Bam Bam – Where’s Your Child (DJ Rush Remix)
    3. Robert Hood – Master Builder
    4. Mike Huckaby – The Tresor Track
    5. Cisco Ferreira – Womans Scent (Hertz Rmx)
    6. Cristian Vogel – Absolute Time
    7. Joey Beltram – Ball Park
    8. Joey Beltram – Game Form (Mike Dearborn Remix)
    9. Joey Beltram – Game Form
    10. Joey Beltram – Instant
    11. Bam Bam – Give It To Me
    12. Bam Bam – Where’s Your Child
    13. Surgeon – Returning To The Purity Of Current
    14. Jeff Mills – Late Night
    15. Robert Hood – Minus
    16. Robert Hood – The Core
    17. Joey Beltram – Instant (Paul Johnson Remix)
    18. Drexciya – Devil Ray Cove
    19. Drexciya – Under Sea Disturbances
    20. Drexciya – Digital Tsunami
    21. Robert Hood – Chase
    22. Surgeon – Black Jackal Throwbacks

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
      Anyone have Styx livesets?
      • Jun 2004

Mike Huckaby - Resident Advisor Podcast - 26-09-2011

its on R-Cos soundcloud page

Amazing!
      ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• floridaorange
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Huggie Smiles
        Mike Huckaby - Resident Advisor Podcast - 26-09-2011

its on R-Cos soundcloud page

Amazing!
        Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
          Anyone have Styx livesets?
          • Jun 2004

i'm pretty sure it was you who gave me the heads up on Mike to begin with!
          ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• floridaorange
            • Dec 2005

^sure, but where to find the mix, I just haven't had time. And since it was posted only "hours" ago, I considered that a "heads up." In any case, it's a great mix, as per usual.

Comment

• dusk
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Jun 2004

I'm sure its been done before but someone needs to start an [ms] 5 favourite things thread...
              ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

Working...