X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kamal
    Administrator
    • May 2002

Another Earth

Anyone seen this movie? I thought it would be boring but it turned out to be rather interesting with one helluva twist at the end. Give it a good 7/10
    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
    Originally posted by ace_dl
    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me
  • xellsys
    Gold Gabber
    • Jan 2010

Re: Another Earth

I was going to watch it, but then didn't.
    Since you recommend it, I will give it a shot. Thx!

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

Whassup with these duplicate planets plot? Melancholy has another planet appearing in our skies too, and I swear there was yet another flick in which another mirror planet appears and two persons from each planet meets ...

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• xellsys
        Gold Gabber
        • Jan 2010

I like the basic idea. Now it's up to the directors to make sth of it

Comment

• go0gle
          Platinum Poster
          • Jan 2007

I saw it.. its an interesting concept, I would recommend seeing it just for that alone. The acting isn't bad either. There are several "holes" in the plot that didn't make much sense to me, but overall, not bad.

Comment

• nick007
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by feather
            Whassup with these duplicate planets plot? Melancholy has another planet appearing in our skies too, and I swear there was yet another flick in which another mirror planet appears and two persons from each planet meets ...
            Fringe is right up there

The largest room in the world, is the room for improvement!

Comment

• Kamal
              Administrator
              • May 2002

Originally posted by go0gle
              I saw it.. its an interesting concept, I would recommend seeing it just for that alone. The acting isn't bad either. There are several "holes" in the plot that didn't make much sense to me, but overall, not bad.
              what holes did you see?
              www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
              he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
              I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• xellsys
                Gold Gabber
                • Jan 2010

I just watched it and I think I like it, not sure yet...haha
                Spoiler warning - Mark text to read it
                I like how they did not put the other earth in the center of attraction. Then again I was constantly psyched about the upcoming ending, since that is, what I felt was the slowly developing story building up for. I'm not sure I like the ending very much or may be I just didn't get it yet. It kinda leaves me too much room for interpretation, or rather not enough information to wrap my head around it in any way...
                Any theories?

And I'm curious about the holes in the plot too, it didn't strike me any.

Comment

• Kamal
                  Administrator
                  • May 2002

this is what I thought of the ending

You know that the guy took off to the other earth in an effort to find his wife and son, and having gone there, he probably ended up meeting the other version of the girl. It's possible he shared the entire story of what happened on this earth, which cause the other version of the girl to come here. Of course, we just don't know if that was the case because it was only an assumption towards the end, that the identical lives of the two earths were broken the first time both earths came into visible contact with each other, it wasn't guaranteed, but given that piece of information during the movie, it was the only deduction I could make. But what makes it even more fucked up is.....now the son and mother have 2 fathers over there lol
                  www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• xellsys
                    Gold Gabber
                    • Jan 2010

I don't think the other girl came over because of him telling her that story. I mean, why would she want to go to her "evil" self? More or less evil though, haha. I'd rather think she was coming over just like the girl#1. She won that ticket to visit the other earth. After all she was very into space and such before the incident on earth#1. But since she never destroyed guy#2s life, she didn't give up her ticket. But it's not such a big deal, her standing in front of herself. I mean, we already knew the earth is mirrored..
                    Haha, you're right. Two fathers kinda blows the entire scenario for husband#1. I was already confused why she would send him there if there was no accident... I figured, as she said "anything could have happened over there", she tries to point out the possibility of the accident happening on earth#2 and only killing the father...which is probably a little far fetched.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                      • May 2006

Thanks for the spoiler txts. I thought this looks ok from the previews...

I havent seen Melancholia yet either, but I thought that looked interesting from an emotional standpoint. AKA looking back on life and the world around you etc. Plus I heard Kiefer Sutherland was good in it too...

Comment

• Donny Concrete
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Sep 2006

Found it a bit dull 5/10.
                        Even a man who is pure in heart And says his prayers each night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms and the moon is full and bright.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                          • May 2006

doh

Comment

• feather
                            Shanghai ooompa loompa
                            • Jul 2004

Will dl and check this out.

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                            Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• feather
                              Shanghai ooompa loompa
                              • Jul 2004

Just finished this, gotta say I loved the film for its cinematography and soundtrack. Absolutely beautiful. The treatment and tones remind me of Children of Men.

Even though I'm a scifi guy, I too liked the fact that there wasn't any 'science' or that Earth 2 didn't take center piece. Just having it in the background make for some beautiful long shots. I did wished we saw more social effects of Earth 2 appearing. It bugged me that nobody thought to send some kind of probe or even send people up there earlier? It took them 4 years before someone organised the lame contest.

Had to IMDB the Mapother, turns out he's Tom Cruise' cousin! Only remember him as the other creepy dude early on in LOST. Brit Marling kinda reminds me of Scarlet Johansson in Lost in Translation, looks and acting.

I'm guessing the film is an allegory for redemption and second chances. Rhoda got her redemption by giving William his second chance to see/be with his family, and as a bonus, she got her own chance to meet her other self and perhaps to find out if her life on Earth 2 was different. Or perhaps the final scene can't be taken literally—through her redemption, Rhoda can finally 'face herself.'

Actually in the final scene, do we know if Rhoda with the beanie is from Earth 1 or Earth 2? It seems to be her character has progressed through the film from wearing the beanie and being a nobody, to dressing normally again (as observed by William too). So maybe the loose-hair Rhoda is actually Rhoda 1 who eventually went over to Earth 2 to see Rhoda 2 (who still wears the beanie) ???

Comment

Working...