X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yggdrasil
    Banned
    • Jun 2004

music in 2003 and 2004

I was listenning to radio the other day, the first time i listenned to daytime radio for sometime and i thought the quality of music has gone way down compared to 90s music and the first 2 years of the new millenium.

Music has become so similar and there's a lack of decent melodies and catchy pop or r&b songs. The thing is, I'm a big music fan and i like everything, but for the last 7 years I've been into progressive music. But i always keep an ear out for other types of genres or nice catchy songs.

Anyway, my point is, daytime radio music is now aimed at young kids to early teenagers. Music companies have dumbed down music and gone for more image and youth rather than talent and innovation.

Maybe I'm too old now and i was wondering if any of u feel the same way about music nowadays. i'm only 21 though so i dunno. Discuss...
  • nbpgt
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

i dont listen to the radio often so it all sounds the same except for a few productions

Comment

• Galapidate
      Addiction started
      • Jun 2004

Ever since Britney Spears came along it's always been like that.

Comment

• Mixwell
        Addiction started
        • Jun 2004

It's strange, but ever since I started listening to EDM, I can't seem to get into any other music. I try to listen to the radion stations around here, but nothing seems good. I do listen to some classical music at times, espescially after a long, stress full day, but thats all. I use to listen to alot of jam music, phish, The Dead, but it is hard for me to get into that again.
        dance like no one is watching

Comment

• yggdrasil
          Banned
          • Jun 2004

i agree with u there, progressive music dominates my portable music player and i find all other music boring compared to it. So it would take something really special to grab my attention or for my ears to like.

Comment

• neoee
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

We're just spoiled. We get new music every week. The radio stations play the same thing over and over and ove... for years.

I gave up on mainstream music a long time ago. Also I find it very basic. Theres no complexity in the music. Growing up I noticed that you could typically relate a persons intellegence with the type of music they listened to and have found EDM to include the upper end of the spectrum. :wink:
            "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• jedbanger
              Fresh Peossy
              • Jun 2004

i listen to all kinds of music, but because i always liked variety.

altough i listen mainly to all kinds of EDM and indie.

Comment

• mingus51
                Getting Somewhere
                • Jun 2004

I know I'm gonna get some garbage and rotten tomatoes thrown at me,

but I think that music went downhill once people stopped paying for it...

Napster gave way to people no longer needing to spend a lot of money when they just like one song.

Enter the A&R team whose job it is now to sell the "sizzle" more than the steak. Brittney, N'Sync, Pharell, Alicia Keys, Good Charlotte, Blink 152, and every single rap group since 97 have all had to hop on a bandwagon that more or less sells everything but the music...Get popular enough to sell cars, sodas, and gym shoes and it will "appear" that you are being appreciated for your music...

So the real TALENT has to find money by playing live/getting gigs, or hoping that their album isn't whored all over soulseek before they even release it.

[not intended to be a judgement, just an observation or moreso, an opinion]

Comment

• MrMouse
                  Getting Somewhere
                  • Jun 2004

I don?t hear comercial radiostations anymore because they are boring & play everytime to everyhour the same bullshit. Some stations play the same song everyday exactly at the same time.
                  Sometimes I hear I-Net radio stations. No f***ing guy talk over the music & say to me how great his station is & what for an great musicstation I hear.
                  I?m glad to have enough stuff to make my own radiostaton with the music that I like.

Comment

• dersuuzala
                    Getting Somewhere
                    • Jun 2004

yggdrasil, i'm the same age and feel roughly the same.

however, i think everyone goes through this to a certain degree. (how many times have you heard your parents or other older folks going "my god, the music kids listen to these days!)

also, i find that the emotional associations i've made with stuff i heard when i was just starting to listen to music on my own are much stronger than the ones i make now, and in that way none of the music i hear now (that's in the same genre as the first stuff i listened to) can compare. additionally, i don't think it's even really fair to compare what i listen to now with what i started out listening to. jazz, alternative, and hard rock are completely different from tech house, minimal techno, and progressive. they stimulate me in different ways.

it's easy to talk shit about the mainstream stuff that's playing these days, and a lot of it is really stupid. the problem is, when i was watching mtv and vh1 10 years ago, i wasn't really educated enough to determine whether or not what i was seeing and hearing was stupid or not. i could go back and re-listen to that stuff and make an informed judgement about whether or not the music now is stupider, but i'm lazy and i don't care enough to do that.

neoee: i don't buy that. i know plenty of intelligent people who listen to music i consider to be crap. listening to crap music doesn't necessarily imply that you're stupid, i think it's just an indication that either you aren't inclined to pursue music, or that you have shit taste.

Comment

• razvan
                      Addiction started
                      • Jun 2004

Re: music in 2003 and 2004

Originally posted by yggdrasil
                      I was listenning to radio the other day, the first time i listenned to daytime radio for sometime and i thought the quality of music has gone way down compared to 90s music and the first 2 years of the new millenium.

Music has become so similar and there's a lack of decent melodies and catchy pop or r&b songs. The thing is, I'm a big music fan and i like everything, but for the last 7 years I've been into progressive music. But i always keep an ear out for other types of genres or nice catchy songs.

Anyway, my point is, daytime radio music is now aimed at young kids to early teenagers. Music companies have dumbed down music and gone for more image and youth rather than talent and innovation.

Maybe I'm too old now and i was wondering if any of u feel the same way about music nowadays. i'm only 21 though so i dunno. Discuss...

It's all about the money!
                      And this kind of volatile that you hear these days needs a lot of promotion to sell and stay in the charts ... and the best way of promoting is: TV, Radio, and first of all Image.

Oh ... and I feel the same ... even if I am 17! ...
                      "I don't know what will be used in the next world war, but the 4th will be fought with stones."

Comment

• brakada
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Jun 2004

I think the quality of music is going down in general. It's harder by the day to be original (this goes for all sorts of music: pop, rock, electronic music....) I mean there is some quality, but the BS is increasing much faster. All sorts of remakes and tunes, which are played soo many times, that you tire of them in a day... But I guess that's capitalism. Maybe when the music industry collapses or drastically changes, most musicians will start making their music with their hearts and not out of financial interests.
                        We shall boldly dance, where no man has danced before..."

Comment

• lmmadic
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Jun 2004

agreed on the radiostations, i gave up on them 2 years. i find my own music now, i don't let people tell me what i should like at the moment.
                          Now all you hear on the radio over here is R&B and hip hop.
                          Never liked RnB but i used to really like hiphop but the new stuff that is comming out is so totally rubbish these days. i can't stand it. maybe it used to be rubbish too and i didn't know any better but i doubt it.
                          anyways i like the oldies, you have real masterpieces. i like jazz, classical music, all sorts of house. i used to be a big techno fan but that seems to have died on me too. not enough depth imo.

and that's the problem with alot of things these days, they have no depth. Don't artist have anything to say anymore?
                          my roommate had the radio in the kitchen while i was making dinner.
                          it was the top20 and the number1 song was something like:
                          step to the left bambambam, to the right bambambam. clap you're hands bambambam.
                          i mean OMFG how could this be the favourite song to anybody
                          sigpic

Education is a better safeguard of liberty than a standing army. Edward Everett

Comment

• brakada
                            Gold Gabber
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by lmmadic
                            and that's the problem with alot of things these days, they have no depth. Don't artist have anything to say anymore?
                            my roommate had the radio in the kitchen while i was making dinner.
                            it was the top20 and the number1 song was something like:
                            step to the left bambambam, to the right bambambam. clap you're hands bambambam.
                            i mean OMFG how could this be the favourite song to anybody
                            Agreed. They don't have anything more to say. It was funny, when I was at Kraftwerk concert. I mean, they have the most primitive lyrics (mostly made up just to rhyme), but still they hold a lot more of messages than the Britney's "Oh, I love you, Oh, you disappointed me, Oh, I miss you" or the hiphop "I'm a big thug. No one fucks withme" shit. I mean, hasn't the world got tired of this crap...

Obviously not. Thank god for the progressive community.
                            We shall boldly dance, where no man has danced before..."

Comment

• Dajshin
                              Getting Somewhere
                              • Jun 2004

The music industry lost it's creativity. As we saw in different country...those popstar & popidols shows tried to bridge a new gap in the market cuz everyone was so bored of ordinary popmusic. The problems is that there a millions of people out there who buy the crap and there is no need for the industry to raise the quality. The same thing as they did with new versions of those 80's tracks. Now they are in the 90's.

I really like Linkin Park & Evanescence. Now there are a couple of bands who try to hump on the train to make money with gothic rock.

Result: It's all about the Benjamins.

Comment

Working...