• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dusk
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Prometheus [2012]

Originally posted by res0nat0r
    im not watching any more vids of this now. there is too much stuff getting put out and i dont want to know 90% of the movie before it happens.
    I've stopped watching promos/videos for the movies that I am want to watch.... some trailers just kill it for me. I always so back later after I've watched the movie and catch all the extra bits
    ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

'Prometheus': Damon Lindelof on whether it's an 'Alien' prequel | Inside Movies | EW.com

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• feather
        Shanghai ooompa loompa
        • Jul 2004

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• res0nat0r
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • May 2006

nooooo

Comment

• feather
            Shanghai ooompa loompa
            • Jul 2004

There's nothing much in that clip

Comment

• feather
              Shanghai ooompa loompa
              • Jul 2004

Wow the designs of the overlays are awesome.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                • May 2006

nooooo

Comment

• 88Mariner
                  My dick is smaller
                  • Nov 2006

few more days! it's been a while since I've last been really excited to see a movie. maybe V for Vendetta or 300.
                  you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• Highsteppa
                    Gold Gabber
                    • Feb 2005

Think of it as how American Psycho is to The Rules of Engagement - the links are there if you're familiar with the material, and you will notice them. But, they're two very separate stories that possibly co-exist in the same universe (and suggests that the timeline of this film isn't that far away from the first Alien movie), but aren't directly tied to each other in any direct way, more because they share some peripheral elements.

I really wanted to like this more than I did - it is one of Ridley Scott's best movie in years, but when you think about his output in the last decade or so, it's not that high a praise, with the possible exception of a couple of movies here and there (I'm thinking Body of Lies and the extended cut of Kingdom of Heaven, some might argue that American Gangster - but I felt kind of the same way about that like I do this - long on promise, something missing in the delivery).

It felt like Ridley Scott is the most engaged here visually than he's been in years - the visuals on this film are really remarkable and his use of 3D is probably the best I've seen yet. He's subtle and not overusing the 3D effect and really makes it work incredibly well with some of the massive landscapes he manages to conjure up. He gets great performances out of just about everyone in the film, a lot of characters feel distinct enough to be memorable and the viral promo material really serves the film extremely well (especially the TED conference). There's some great scenes and it functions pretty well as a sci fi horror flick.

But I think the disappointment stems from the plotting of the story - after a very strong start, the action keeps shifting back and forth between two locations, and it causes the narrative to start and stop in fits - there isn't that feeling of a consistent rollercoaster-like build and the wild ride that ensues like the first two movies did so incredibly well. When characters die, there's a bit of a disconnect going on despite them being unique and distinctive. There's a muted sense of wonder with the idea of humanity making first contact with what could possibly be their maker, but it doesn't quite take hold. Kind of like how the Jodie Foster movie Contact felt a bit like a letdown with a pretty solid first two thirds that gave way to that unbelievably shitty ending. With Prometheus, it's not a bad film overall, it just feels like the parts add up to a smaller sum than what was expected or hoped for.

He kind of screwed himself from the start - it's kind of tough to go back to your original work for source material and then claim it's not really a prequel. It's almost impossible to not compare it to the rest of the Alien canon when you're getting constantly reminded of the first film either directly or indirectly.

It is a good film, but you can't help but feel like it's just short of something that could have been really stunning. Maybe the hint of a sequel might change the outlook on this.

Oh, and I now know what a spaceship designed by Apple would look like. Quite the contrast from the Nostromo.

Comment

• feather
                      Shanghai ooompa loompa
                      • Jul 2004

Saw it. I thought the villainous plot felt really petty and stupid next to the grandiose ambition and scope of the premise. Men's creator has to go all the way to a different galaxy to create some bio weapon to destroy us? WTH.

Comment

• floridaorange
                        I'm merely a humble butler
                        • Dec 2005

pass

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• 88Mariner
                          My dick is smaller
                          • Nov 2006

cavalorn: Prometheus Unbound: What The Movie Was Actually About

oh, i just got back from seeing this, i read this review, and now I want to go back and see it. holy hell. (indeed!)
                          you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

----PEACE-----

Comment

• go0gle
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by 88Mariner

oh, i just got back from seeing this, i read this review, and now I want to go back and see it. holy hell. (indeed!)
                            wow. I haven't seen it.. but after reading this I will for sure. Thank for sharing!

Comment

• feather
                              Shanghai ooompa loompa
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by 88Mariner

I read it before seeing the film and some of it does resonate though I'd say the whole space jesus thing is a red herring from Scott.

Comment

• 88Mariner
                                My dick is smaller
                                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by feather
                                I read it before seeing the film and some of it does resonate though I'd say the whole space jesus thing is a red herring from Scott.
                                Actually, I heard he had cut out specific parts just to keep it less controversial from that standpoint. Why else would they be landing on Christmas Day? The part about 2000 years ago? The immaculate conception of a women previously known to be barren?

I think that's exactly what Scott is suggesting. Some people may find it hokey/cheesy/stupid, but it really engages the "Chariot of the Gods" concept from a very cool angle.

----PEACE-----

Comment

Working...