X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: Prometheus [2012]

From what I understand of the livejournal post, the idea of self-sacrifice, the Engineer dissolving himself and using his DNA to seed life, cool.

But the post did not, IIRC, make a distinction between the dissolved-Engineer-blackish-ooze, and the black ooze found by humans.

In fact now that I recall more, the post posited that the black ooze IS the same, but causes different evolutions based on the psyche imprinted on it—hence Engineer self-dissolves in a good act leads to life-generation, humans lead to deranged zombies, earthworms become space cobras, and no effect from David (Did David actually get infected besides touching everything in sight? I don't remember. It's just as likely that David could NOT be infected because he is synthetic).

Now on to the space jesus theory. Jesus came from a barren woman, and the post tried to draw a parallel with Shaw being barren and giving birth to a squid. So is Jesus an Engineer, or an emissary created by the Engineers? How was Jesus created and why was he not a squid/proto-face-hugger?

The lifecycle of the squid diverges from Jesus and was lost on me—Did an Engineer self-dissolve, impregnate, and create Jesus? With what in mind? In the creation of life, is the self-sacrifice a seeding, or can it be so fine tuned as to create a specific individual with a specific template of mind and behaviour and a specific mission? If the process allowed for such micro-evolution, it also seems counter intuitive to the more maco-scale evolution of life that the Engineer's DNA seeds.

I think the theories of self-sacrifice, that we pissed off the Engineers, work within the story's framework but I'm finding it hard to fit Jesus into this.

Some other minor thing, the blog post mentioned the use of fire to kill Holloway—I thought that was just a nod to the flamethrowers in Alien(s).

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
      Anyone have Styx livesets?
      • Jun 2004

saw at IMAX 3D - absolutely unbeliebvable graphics and 3D world. Was totally drawn in. highly recomend seeing it at IMAX!

storyline was meh.
      ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• Kamal
        Administrator
        • May 2002

Originally posted by feather
        From what I understand of the livejournal post, the idea of self-sacrifice, the Engineer dissolving himself and using his DNA to seed life, cool.

But the post did not, IIRC, make a distinction between the dissolved-Engineer-blackish-ooze, and the black ooze found by humans.

In fact now that I recall more, the post posited that the black ooze IS the same, but causes different evolutions based on the psyche imprinted on it—hence Engineer self-dissolves in a good act leads to life-generation, humans lead to deranged zombies, earthworms become space cobras, and no effect from David (Did David actually get infected besides touching everything in sight? I don't remember. It's just as likely that David could NOT be infected because he is synthetic).

Now on to the space jesus theory. Jesus came from a barren woman, and the post tried to draw a parallel with Shaw being barren and giving birth to a squid. So is Jesus an Engineer, or an emissary created by the Engineers? How was Jesus created and why was he not a squid/proto-face-hugger?

The lifecycle of the squid diverges from Jesus and was lost on me—Did an Engineer self-dissolve, impregnate, and create Jesus? With what in mind? In the creation of life, is the self-sacrifice a seeding, or can it be so fine tuned as to create a specific individual with a specific template of mind and behaviour and a specific mission? If the process allowed for such micro-evolution, it also seems counter intuitive to the more maco-scale evolution of life that the Engineer's DNA seeds.

I think the theories of self-sacrifice, that we pissed off the Engineers, work within the story's framework but I'm finding it hard to fit Jesus into this.

Some other minor thing, the blog post mentioned the use of fire to kill Holloway—I thought that was just a nod to the flamethrowers in Alien(s).
        Your post is such a mind-fuck that I never ventured out to read the live-journal blogpost. With that said, I saw the cut out parts on bluray and noticed a few things that they don't show you in the movie. In the beginning of the movie, they just show this Engineer walking along the waterfall and drinking the black Ooze. That in itself adds questions to his intentions and motives, but the cut out scene actually shows him walking away from a group of other engineers with the spaceship in the background and it eventually then taking off, hinting that this Engineer had been picked for the eternal sacrifice - and had way more clarity in it.

Other than that, why did they pick earth, why did they come here from planet LV-whatever-the-fuck-it's-called, why were they trying to run away from that planet and what was their dangerous "cargo". Other than failed DNA morphing resulting in maddening creatures being created, resulting in them attempting to flee planet LV-you-know-who - I can't imagine what went wrong there. Rather simplistic but Occam's Razor - so there.

And I read somewhere else online that David made that Doctor dude drink the black ooze because David's intention was to give his Father, eternal life, just like a God. And so in order to test the effects of the black ooze, he experimented with the Doctor first and since that failed, it's where his experiments with the ooze ended.

But other than a whole bunch of incredible eye-candy, the movie was, as Huggie eloquently said it, a massive "meh". It just ended with more questions and a sense of "emptiness" (in terms of having to presume too much). The sequel better be filling a whole bunch of holes to make the series survive and succeed.

Worst part of the movie? I just couldn't decide between the shitty pick for Ms. Theron being the cold-hearted richest woman in the universe type of personality or her wiltering Val-Kilmer look-alike father.

That abortion machine was just tipping scale of the Titanic iceberg for me.

Give it a 5/10 - worthy of a few re-watches to satisfy the cinematographic hunger.
        www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
        he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
        Originally posted by ace_dl
        Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
        I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• feather
          Shanghai ooompa loompa
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Kamal

And I read somewhere else online that David made that Doctor dude drink the black ooze because David's intention was to give his Father, eternal life, just like a God. And so in order to test the effects of the black ooze, he experimented with the Doctor first and since that failed, it's where his experiments with the ooze ended.
          I think that's right because after David's conversation with the 'father' and 'father' telling him something like try harder, he infected the Doc with the ooze to test its effect.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
          a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
          Originally posted by m1sT3rL
          Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• floridaorange
            I'm merely a humble butler
            • Dec 2005

Wow 5/10? Not wasting my time, thanks for the reviews.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• hambino21
              PFC Semen Ham
              • Jul 2004

This movie was definitely worth a watch if you are a fan of the Aliens series, but it does leave a lot of holes. Knowing Ridley Scott though, I believe it was intentional. The article posted giving theory about it all was interesting and makes sense for the most part. I think the sequel is going to kick major ass. Prometheus was definitely an adventure, and I enjoyed it, but probably not for everyone. I can't wait for the next one. BTW, saw it in IMAX, and that absolutely kicked major ass!
              " Focus on the subtleties and the world becomes grander"

- Me-

Comment

• klangfabrik
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2009

watched it yesterday, really disappointed with the storyline, after reading Kamal's and feather's posts i am understanding a bit more
                fassbender acting very good tho

Comment

Working...