[book] a better life - 100 atheists speak out on joy & meaning in a world without god

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xellsys
    Gold Gabber
    • Jan 2010

[book] a better life - 100 atheists speak out on joy & meaning in a world without god

Explore the meaning and joy of life with atheists in this book of photos and commentary. A Better Life: 100 Atheists Speak Out on Joy and Meaning in a World Without God, is a 200+ page, hardcover photography book featuring subjects both famous and not, including well known atheist/agnostic speakers, writers, and celebrities.
    sounds very interesting to me

i found out about this, because the famous free solo climber Alex Honnold posted on facebook about him probably being one of the 100 ppl in the book.

oh and they have a little youtube video:

• trick12
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jul 2007

Re: [book] a better life - 100 atheists speak out on joy & meaning in a world without

there is no world without God.
    Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

• 88Mariner
      My dick is smaller
      • Nov 2006

Re: [book] a better life - 100 atheists speak out on joy & meaning in a world without

speaking as an atheist (and not some pussy-ass agnostic bitch like pretty much everyone on that list), I kinda wouldn't mind if most of these atheists were shoved off a cliff. Except Dennett and Sweeney, they're alright in my book. Probably a few others if I spent enough time looking into them which I don't really care to do.

I'd personally like Ahlquist to go first.

Honestly think it's funny that people are so 'shocked' at that video, but who are incredibly ignorant about what plenty of atheists/agnostics have said. The difference is, they don't have an outlet on television.

I actually find it quite hilarious that these agnostic douchebags feign offense that ultra religious people would say these things at them. It's fairly clear they've never lived a day as a conservative, who largely are at the receiving end of the same-or-similar attacks from progressives in the media.
      you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• xellsys
        Gold Gabber
        • Jan 2010

Quality posts there!

I just dont get how such a civilized nation like the us is inhabited by so many religious lunatics. Almost like those who run around in the middle east.
        I mean talk about enlightenment...

Sent from my htc 7 Trophy using Board Express

Comment

• jay813
          Platinum Poster
          • May 2005

well it was started by religious lunatics looking to not get persecuted by such lunacy, and what can you say...shit spread

Comment

• floridaorange
            I'm merely a humble butler
            • Dec 2005

Just out of curiosity, not trying to insult anyone here, but I wonder if the famous atheists everyone knows spent like 10 years in a crazy prison full of dangerous criminals they would start to believe in angels/god .

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• Kat
              A pretty fn good milkshake
              • Mar 2006

atheism IS a religion
              ♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪• אין סוף •♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•

Music is essential for the expression of non material ideals and energies. Music colors our surroundings with emanations from the highest vibrational fields. It allows us to escape all limitations in our thinking and very existence.

Comment

• Illuminate
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Kat
                atheism IS a religion
                A set of cultural and belief system one chooses to follow.

Yeahp.

What a paradox.

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
                Sbando
                - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
                Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
                Bob
                "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
                the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
                KiwiTollway

Comment

• phaeton
                  Addiction started
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by floridaorange
                  Just out of curiosity, not trying to insult anyone here, but I wonder if the famous atheists everyone knows spent like 10 years in a crazy prison full of dangerous criminals they would start to believe in angels/god .
                  you could of course get the need for such an hyptothesis, to cite the first speaker in the below video

i like the argument of Asimov the most

Comment

• 88Mariner
                    My dick is smaller
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Kat
                    atheism IS a religion

Not originally, but it has developed into one, sadly.
                    you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

----PEACE-----

Comment

• Illuminate
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Aug 2009

I love how it's all of a sudden become a neo-trend again.

Yes I have no need for a deity, SO I'm going to express it like a Religion.

And FLO-RIDA spend 10 years in a prison, memorise the bible they left on your pillow, find Jesus - solved. You'll even worship the fly that sits on your toilet seat, that's the point of a correctional centres. Societal isolation, you can be evolved to worship Ong the Fruit Fly.

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
                      Sbando
                      - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
                      Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
                      Bob
                      "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
                      the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
                      KiwiTollway

Comment

• 88Mariner
                        My dick is smaller
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Illuminate
                        And FLO-RIDA spend 10 years in a prison, memorise the bible they left on your pillow, find Jesus - solved. You'll even worship the fly that sits on your toilet seat, that's the point of a correctional centres. Societal isolation, you can be evolved to worship Ong the Fruit Fly.
                        oh gawd, easily my favorite Underworld lyric. Karl Hyde does what Bob Dylan couldn't.

----PEACE-----

Comment

• Jenks
                          I'm kind of a big deal.
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kat
                          atheism IS a religion

That doesn't really make sense to me. I don't care if ther is a god or there isnt, i'm living my life the same- without religion. I don't claim to be an Atheist. Atheism is a label placed on me by religious people. "Well your not christian so what are you? Oh you don't believe in my god? Bingo! You're an atheist!" No. I don't call myself that or practice any religion of the sort. I'm just living and don't give a flying fk about any of that nonsense, so if labeling me an atheist helps god fearing folk get through their day, thats for them, not me. Someone actually preaching "atheism", it boggles my mind.

Comment

• 88Mariner
                            My dick is smaller
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Jenks
                            That doesn't really make sense to me. I don't care if ther is a god or there isnt, i'm living my life the same- without religion. I don't claim to be an Atheist. Atheism is a label placed on me by religious people. "Well your not christian so what are you? Oh you don't believe in my god? Bingo! You're an atheist!" No. I don't call myself that or practice any religion of the sort. I'm just living and don't give a flying fk about any of that nonsense, so if labeling me an atheist helps god fearing folk get through their day, thats for them, not me. Someone actually preaching "atheism", it boggles my mind.
                            and yet, that's what many do. i mean there are tons of 'atheists' out there preaching, militantly, and some worse than their religious counterparts. it's all a bit silly, i'm with you on that.

----PEACE-----

Comment

• Localizer
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Jul 2004

Atheism is not a religion. It's never been a religion and never will be because the actual definitions have all included belief systems in supernatural deities. The meaning of atheism is quite clear--no belief in deities. By saying atheism is a religion, you may as well say that no belief in the jersey devil is a religion, or no belief in the tooth-fairy is a religion, or that no belief in lochness or even bigfoot are religions themselves.

And unfortunately Jenks, like it or not, language has labels,, that's how we segregate ourselves. Even if you say no belief in gods or whatever, it'll still translate to atheism. That's just the unintended consequence of language. And ya, militant atheists do suck like David SIlverman. But there are a lot of good ones like Dr. Steve Novella and Phil Plait.
                              Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so.
                              -Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...