[book] a better life - 100 atheists speak out on joy & meaning in a world without god

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kat
    A pretty fn good milkshake
    • Mar 2006

Re: [book] a better life - 100 atheists speak out on joy & meaning in a world without

i grew up in an extremely atheistic country where atheism was forced on us, believe me when i say it IS a religion (not originally as mariner said). if someone even used a word that had any connection to what you could find in bible, was considered wrong and sometimes dangerous. atheism today means strongly believing there is no such thing as god - and not allowing any form of interpretation what god could even mean. i remember when they thought us about "there is no god", my intuition was telling me it is not so. i am definitely not religious but i am no atheist either - and no one has ever labeled me as one, so Jenks i have no idea what you are talking about - maybe ppl in the states used to do that (or still do in some butt-hole towns in the middle of nowhere), coz they have no real clue what atheism really is.
    ♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪• אין סוף •♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•

Music is essential for the expression of non material ideals and energies. Music colors our surroundings with emanations from the highest vibrational fields. It allows us to escape all limitations in our thinking and very existence.

Comment

• Localizer
      Platinum Poster
      • Jul 2004

Re: [book] a better life - 100 atheists speak out on joy & meaning in a world without

Your sentiments are certainly understandable and I can't imagine not having the option of being able to think freely and ponder the origins of the universe or the supernatural. However, what you describe is 'religion-like,' not religion. If we're to strip away the original intent of what religion meant, it would then be prudent to call communism a religion, or to call a following of any sports team a religion. But that is just it--religion does not mean 'a following.' The word would therefor lose its original meaning and ultimately becomes a term that is just relative, which is undeniably a misuse of the English language.

It's like how our government has changed the word of terrorist over time. It not longer means to strike fear into individuals or societies. According to our country, it means you have to be muslim and fight alongside afghans and other middle eastern nationals. That word, which had one original, proper meaning, is now misused completely.

And I won't speak for atheists on this board, but the explosion of atheism that we see is obviously a consequence of a religious pressure cooker. Many people are tired of the ass-backward ways that have been implemented into public policy or how overtly religious followers try to control the lives of others with moral superiority.

Moreover, many people are tired of the way the religious right loves to distort science in classrooms or how the religious right isolates individuals at school who do not share the same belief system (similar to what you may have felt in school in regards to atheism). This is ultimately leading to a cultural version of chemistry's Le Chatlier's principle where a shift is needed to maintain equilibrium within a system. Hence it looks as though the atheists have become zealots for atheism; and no doubt, quite a few are.

Going back to the op, I haven't looked at celebrities or public figures who share the view of atheism other than the ones that are notoriously known for it, but it certainly helps to know some might be out there, if not for the power to help change some policy or some idea, then at least for identifying with someone who shares similar beliefs.
      Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so.
      -Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Illuminate
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Aug 2009

But why do we need to look at others for influence or guidance?

To me spirituality is what you make of it; nothing or no one else should influence it. However, in terms of Kit-Kats situation yes you can be extremely influenced (take fundamentalists for example). But you should have a right to practise as you may wish. And I honestly feel sorry for those people who are forced to practise their religion, whatever that may be.

To me I found no reason to practise religion, basing on ethical and moral values a human has and practises. I find no comfort believing that everything will be all right if I communicate to a deity in any form or way. In a sense I may agree with what Jenks states, that why do we need to be branded?

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
        Sbando
        - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
        Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
        Bob
        "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
        the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
        KiwiTollway

Comment

• Localizer
          Platinum Poster
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Illuminate
          But why do we need to look at others for influence or guidance?
          Well, everyone needs a mentor to some extent. For instance, we look at Carl Sagan as a pioneer of 20th century rationality. I like Neil Tyson DeGrasse for his ability to humbly disperse the knowledge of science to the masses, and I also look up to him as a respected astrophysicist. Likewise with Phil Plait. Everyone has someone that they look up to, no matter the arena of life we are in. Every leader was once a follower.

To me spirituality is what you make of it; nothing or no one else should influence it. However, in terms of Kit-Kats situation yes you can be extremely influenced (take fundamentalists for example). But you should have a right to practise as you may wish. And I honestly feel sorry for those people who are forced to practise their religion, whatever that may be.
          Well, ya of course. I completely agree with you. Everyone should have the freedom to practice whatever faith they want, so long as it does not disrupt the ethical standards of our society (ie. no sacrificing to the gods, etc...)

To me I found no reason to practise religion, basing on ethical and moral values a human has and practises. I find no comfort believing that everything will be all right if I communicate to a deity in any form or way. In a sense I may agree with what Jenks states, that why do we need to be branded?
          Branding is an unintended consequence of language. Descriptions are only too long, and many words succintly define these descriptions. We do it all the time in EDM. Some people like to be 'branded' as lovers of minimal, or tech-house, or deep-house, or what have you and they become elitist about it. Kind of an irony of the situation.
          Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so.
          -Bertrand Russell

Comment

• floridaorange
            I'm merely a humble butler
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Kat
            i grew up in an extremely atheistic country where atheism was forced on us, believe me when i say it IS a religion (not originally as mariner said). if someone even used a word that had any connection to what you could find in bible, was considered wrong and sometimes dangerous. atheism today means strongly believing there is no such thing as god - and not allowing any form of interpretation what god could even mean. i remember when they thought us about "there is no god", my intuition was telling me it is not so. i am definitely not religious but i am no atheist either - and no one has ever labeled me as one, so Jenks i have no idea what you are talking about - maybe ppl in the states used to do that (or still do in some butt-hole towns in the middle of nowhere), coz they have no real clue what atheism really is.

which country did you grow up in again?

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• Kat
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by floridaorange

which country did you grow up in again?
              you'd be surprised by how cute our capital is, they call it the belly button of europe

Music is essential for the expression of non material ideals and energies. Music colors our surroundings with emanations from the highest vibrational fields. It allows us to escape all limitations in our thinking and very existence.

Comment

• floridaorange
                • Dec 2005

^i thought it was slovenia but I wasn't 100% great signature btw kitty kat

Comment

• Kat
                  • Mar 2006

thanks

Comment

• floridaorange
                    • Dec 2005

^I just googled "Slovenia" and the pictures are incredible, would love to visit some day soon.

/threadjack

Comment

Working...