X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Mac Pro 13 v 15

Just about time to upgrade my Oct 2008 Macbook, but I've not really done any computer shopping for quite some time. I think I've narrowed my options down to:

13" MacBook Pro w/ 2.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 @ $1499
    15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 and AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB GDDR5 @ $1899

I don't require my computer to do a lot of heavy lifting from a processing standpoint. I use Photoshop from time to time, but it's a hobby, not a profession, so I don't feel like I NEED that extra processing power. With that said, faster is always better in my book, so how much faster is that lower-clocked quad core going to be than the higher clocked dual core?

TIA
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Re: Mac Pro 13 v 15

I'd recommend a refurb from apple and save a lot of money. That's what my wife did. Her looks brand new still and has had zero issues. With apples great customer service, imo, refurb's are a no brainer.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• toasty
      Sir Toastiness
      • Jun 2004

^^fair point and not a bad idea, although I was planning on buying it at Best Buy, making this a bit of a non-starter. Best Buy is running a sale on them at the moment, so I'm already saving some off of the list price there. More importantly, though, they have 0% for 18 months, which is the real kicker.

Comment

• ganjamo
        Platinum Poster
        • Jan 2006

I'd consider the Macbook Air too, not as fast CPU wise but makes it up with a fast SSD. I got a 2.4 Ghz Core2Duo 13" macbook pro with an SSD and its more than what you need for daily tasks and light photoshop use. The only thing that sucks is the resolution, which in the 13" Air is better.

And as florida says, refurbished FTMFW.
        Dont panic, its organic.

Comment

• Jenks
          I'm kind of a big deal.
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ganjamo
          I'd consider the Macbook Air too,.
          This^ will probably be my next upgrade.

Comment

• floridaorange
            I'm merely a humble butler
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ganjamo
            I'd consider the Macbook Air too, not as fast CPU wise but makes it up with a fast SSD. I got a 2.4 Ghz Core2Duo 13" macbook pro with an SSD and its more than what you need for daily tasks and light photoshop use. The only thing that sucks is the resolution, which in the 13" Air is better.

And as florida says, refurbished FTMFW.
            Ganj was it you that worked for Apple, or another member here?

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• toasty
              Sir Toastiness
              • Jun 2004

If I didn't already have an iPad, I might be more inclined to get an Air, but I feel like I've already got something for when I need something really portable for traveling -- more need it for around the house, so I'm wanting the MBP b/c of that extra hard drive space.

Comment

• ganjamo
                Platinum Poster
                • Jan 2006

Yup I did.
                Dont panic, its organic.

Comment

• bluemartini
                  Fresh Peossy
                  • Mar 2012

I think you need laptop for a i9 process with new MAC OS

Comment

• toasty
                    Sir Toastiness
                    • Jun 2004

I'm sure you've all been sitting with bated breath wondering how this was resolved, so I'll break the suspense. Ended up getting a Mac Pro 15 and had them upgrade the RAM to 8 GB. I recognize it's probably overkill for the way I use it, but the thought of a quad core processor was just too enticing to pass it up. I figure between the processor and the fact that it has a dedicated graphics card, I have future-proofed myself for a few years. That's the hope, at least.

Comment

Working...