X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • res0nat0r
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • May 2006

Supreme Court to weigh in on Obamacare

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/rejecting-o...232716680.htmlhttp://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...sEnabled=falseThis is going to be a big one. Some good quotes from the links above:

Q In what way could the individual mandate by judged "unconstitutional"?

A The challengers to the reform say that never before has the government forced people to buy a product. We're not forcing you to buy a product. Health care is something all Americans consume, and you don't know when you're going to consume it. You could get struck by a bus, you could have a heart attack and the like. And if you don't have health insurance, then you show up at the emergency room. The doctors are under orders to treat you -- as any Western, any civilized society would do. And who pays for that? Well, ordinary Americans pay for that. They're the ones who have to pick up the tab for those who don't have insurance. We are not regulating what people buy, we're regulating how people finance it.

Q What are the possible outcomes?

A The two main outcomes that one can predict -- the Supreme Court strikes down the individual mandate as unconstitutional because it's unprecedented or it upholds it and says it is part of Congress power over commerce and over taxation. The latter is far more likely because it is such a grave thing for unelected judges to take a decision of such a magnitude for American people. I expect the Supreme Court's ruling at the end of its current term, June 30.I wouldn't be surprised if everyone else was surprised in this case, and the court didn't reach a standard 5-to-4 judgment with the five Republican justices -- those nominated by Republican presidents on one side, and the four nominated by Democratic presidents on the other.

Q Why is there such visceral opposition to this law among Americans?

A Whenever you have landmark legislation, people are afraid of change. That's not surprising. And this is something that is going to dramatically change insurance markets, health care markets, and you know, there's a lot of people who can be worried about that and who, if they don't like the law, should vote against those who voted for it. Vote against President Obama, or vote against the members of Congress. What I think is not appropriate is to take that policy debate and put it in front of the Supreme Court of the United States. If they don't like the law, there's an easy vote and that's in November.

Although the court is divided along sharp ideological lines, it’s not clear how the justices will rule. The court’s aura of legitimacy has taken a beating in recent years and a Bloomberg News poll found 75% of Americans expect the justices to rule based on politics, not the law.The court has one possible out: On Monday, they will consider whether an arcane 1867 federal law requires them to hold off on making any decision until after 2015, when the first fines for failing to get coverage kick in.
    Last edited by res0nat0r; March 26, 2012, 05:39:58 PM.
  • vinnie97
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jul 2007

Re: Supreme Court to weigh in on Obamacare

Those are not "good" comments. Just more nanny statist BS that the govt. is the end solution for all that ails us. What the comments miss is there is no limit to what the govt. can mandate that one buys from a private entity if this is allowed to stand, all in the name of kommerce.

Another negative against this catastrophe is its for the plebes. The aristocracy is exempt.

Comment

• res0nat0r
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • May 2006

Originally posted by vinnie97
      Those are not "good" comments. Just more nanny statist BS that the govt. is the end solution for all that ails us. What the comments miss is there is no limit to what the govt. can mandate that one buys from a private entity if this is allowed to stand, all in the name of kommerce.

Another negative against this catastrophe is its for the plebes. The aristocracy is exempt.

I'm wondering why this works in most of Europe then and I haven't heard of any mandates that they have to buy X lbs of vegetables each month to keep healthy. Let me know if I've just missed that story though.

Comment

• res0nat0r
        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
        • May 2006

Also I think this sums up the point well, from above:

A: The challengers to the reform say that never before has the government forced people to buy a product. We're not forcing you to buy a product. Health care is something all Americans consume, and you don't know when you're going to consume it. You could get struck by a bus, you could have a heart attack and the like. And if you don't have health insurance, then you show up at the emergency room. The doctors are under orders to treat you -- as any Western, any civilized society would do. And who pays for that? Well, ordinary Americans pay for that. They're the ones who have to pick up the tab for those who don't have insurance. We are not regulating what people buy, we're regulating how people finance it.

Comment

• floridaorange
          I'm merely a humble butler
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by res0nat0r
          A: The challengers to the reform say that never before has the government forced people to buy a product. We're not forcing you to buy a product. Health care is something all Americans consume, and you don't know when you're going to consume it. You could get struck by a bus, you could have a heart attack and the like. And if you don't have health insurance, then you show up at the emergency room. The doctors are under orders to treat you -- as any Western, any civilized society would do. And who pays for that? Well, ordinary Americans pay for that. They're the ones who have to pick up the tab for those who don't have insurance. We are not regulating what people buy, we're regulating how people finance it.

precisely

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• res0nat0r
            Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
            • May 2006

Comment

• res0nat0r
              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
              • May 2006

Heres a good quote from that thread on how busted our system is right now:

Here is an interesting fact, the US is number one in spending money on healthcare relative to their GDP. It just turns out that your system if so corrupt and broken that it's citizens don't get anything back from that spending.

Also relevant:

Yep, we have a for profit system. Many people get paid in between doctor and patient. I am sad to say that 'Obamacare' while nice in theory does not stop or even address the high cost of healthcare or the fact that the CEOs of the health insurance companies rake in MILLIONS of dollars. Health care and education should NOT be for profit.

Comment

• 88Mariner
                My dick is smaller
                • Nov 2006

Obama's argument: It's not a tax whenever we don't want it to be, and it is when we do.
                you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• 88Mariner
                  My dick is smaller
                  • Nov 2006

Fuck sake.

The BMV works just fine. Let's handover 1/6th of the economy to the federal government. lol
                  you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

----PEACE-----

Comment

• res0nat0r
                    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by 88Mariner
                    Fuck sake.

The BMV works just fine. Let's handover 1/6th of the economy to the federal government. lol

Since private healthcare is so cheap and affordable right now it should stay as is right?

Comment

• dre4
                      Getting Somewhere
                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by 88Mariner
                      Fuck sake.

you do realize almost the entire bill is done through the private sector right?

Comment

• vinnie97
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Jul 2007

The private sector is being manhandled by the 2000 pages of regulations, and you are ultimately at the whim of a single bureaucracy.

Comment

• 88Mariner
                          My dick is smaller
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by dre4
                          you do realize almost the entire bill is done through the private sector right?

my response: lol

----PEACE-----

Comment

• 88Mariner
                            My dick is smaller
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by res0nat0r
                            Since private healthcare is so cheap and affordable right now it should stay as is right?
                            The CBO estimated that the average primium for a single non-group insurance policy would be roughly $5,800 in 2016. A young healthy individual targeted by this behemoth mandate consumes $854, on average, in health costs each year. This effectively means that this mandate is specifically a ruse to force young individuals to subsidize the insurance companies for the health care costs of those who use spend exponentially more in health care costs each year. Worse, now people, especially the younger generation to be enslaved to the healthcare needs of older folks who generally require vastly more use of hospitals (of which they are already recieving benefits under different federal entitlement programs as it is).

There are millions of Americans who do not own cell phones. Should anyone be forced to subsidize the federal government in paying for millions of cell phones just so these unconnected individuals have the immediate ability to call for emergency services?

Your problem will always be that if you say the government can force you to buy any private market good, you have no line to say where such demands begin an end.

You've clearly never read anything on jurisprudential history or, for that matter, the history of the nature of government and its relationship to man. You cannot draw a line where the Commerce Clause is limited.

Personally, of all the things I should find amusing, the one point I find most hilarious is that those who are in the Occutard movement, the one decrying the power of corporations, are effectively demanding that the Federal Government and Big Insurance get in bed together while politicians apply the lubrication to the appropriate parts.

----PEACE-----

Comment

• floridaorange
                              I'm merely a humble butler
                              • Dec 2005

Yah we should just keep the broken system in place as is. ^I can tell by reading your post that you've read a lot of books, but have you worked in healthcare legislation (my sister has) or have you sold insurance (i have). The system is f*cked.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

Working...