X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • res0nat0r
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • May 2006

Root HTC Evo 4G?

I know this is probably old news but does anyone know where to do this easily with the least risk?

I want to this mainly because: I want to use this for tethering soon for a bit of web browsing when I travel so I don't have to pay 30$ hotel wifi fees per nite, and I am not paying an extra 20$ or whatever a month just to use my data plan how I like. Also will it allow me to delete all of these shit apps Sprint forces me to have like NASCAR and Blockbuster (WTF) that take up space on my phone?

I thought I remember seeing a website where I could pretty much point and click to do this but I can't find it right now so I'm asking and being lazy.
  • poults
    Platinum Poster
    • Nov 2006

Re: Root HTC Evo 4G?

Should be all your answers here:

The HTC Evo 4G is Sprint's flagship Android smartphone for the second half of 2010. Originally shipping with Android 2.1 (Eclair), it has since been updated to Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread). The Evo 4G borrows a number of hardware components from the legendary HTC HD2, including the 4.3" WVGA TFT...
    Originally posted by Hoff

ejejejejejejejejeje!!!!! you always delivering some good dogs shits !!! thankyou

Comment

• Kamal
      Administrator
      • May 2002

what he said,

specifically - HTC Evo/Guides Tutorials - XDA-Developers
      www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
      he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
      Originally posted by ace_dl
      Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
      I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• res0nat0r
        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
        • May 2006

^sweet.

i thought i remember seeing a while back a super easy website that you basically could just 1click root your htc device based on what type it is. do you know what that is?

Comment

• res0nat0r
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • May 2006

yeah here it is: unrevoked

anyone use that before? it looks to be really simple.

Comment

• Kamal
            Administrator
            • May 2002

no, I had an HTC before and I went through a nightmare rooting it - About to do my first Root
            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
            he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
            Originally posted by ace_dl
            Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
            I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• res0nat0r
              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
              • May 2006

Originally posted by Kamal
              no, I had an HTC before and I went through a nightmare rooting it - About to do my first Root
              Doh. Maybe that site above wasn't around when you did yours? That site above looks to have a small package to install for every os: windows, linux, mac and it might be pretty straightforward just based on the design of the site and the stuff here: public:unrevoked3 [RootWiki]

Comment

• toasty
                Sir Toastiness
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by res0nat0r
                yeah here it is: unrevoked

anyone use that before? it looks to be really simple.
                I rooted using unrevoked and it worked like a champ. It seems to be easier on a mac, if that makes a difference.

Comment

• toasty
                  Sir Toastiness
                  • Jun 2004

Not to hijack, but I'm actually contemplating retiring my EVO as early as today. I had pre-ordered the EVO 4G LTE which I gather is officially ready for sale today, but I saw a review of the Samsung Galaxy S3, and it looks pretty sick as well. Trying to decide if I ought to wait or not. One factor in support of waiting is actually that my EVO, by virtue of being rooted, still feels very fresh because I swap out the ROM from time to time. It was an awesome phone anyway, but rooting it just made it that much better.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by toasty
                    I rooted using unrevoked and it worked like a champ. It seems to be easier on a mac, if that makes a difference.
                    Cool...I will probably try this then. Can I delete all the dumb shit if I do this? Like the Nascar app and Qik etc?

Comment

• toasty
                      Sir Toastiness
                      • Jun 2004

Technically yes, but the preferred path nowadays is just to freeze them so they aren't using your memory or, better yet, install a custom ROM that gets rid of all of that shit.

Remember -- any time you want to flash a different ROM or really do anything like that, make a backup that includes your Wimax key. Some of the ROMs out there don't have 4G working, and once it's gone, you can't get it back.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                        • May 2006

Humm...Ok that sounds good. Honestly the 4G $10 tax a month on this phone is a waste of money for me. I never use it b/c the coverage here is shit.

Comment

• toasty
                          Sir Toastiness
                          • Jun 2004

Hard to disagree, I never use mine either unless I'm in a stationary spot in the city, plus it drains the battery like a mofo. I rarely need it, though -- if I'm at home or work I'm connected to a wireless network, and anywhere else, I'm generally not doing anything that requires that kind of bandwidth. 3G is fine for Pandora and Spotify.

Still, though, better to hang onto it, particularly considering how easy it is to preserve it. Looking forward to the LTE network when that rolls out, should be much better.

Comment

• 88Mariner
                            My dick is smaller
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by toasty
                            Not to hijack, but I'm actually contemplating retiring my EVO as early as today. I had pre-ordered the EVO 4G LTE which I gather is officially ready for sale today, but I saw a review of the Samsung Galaxy S3, and it looks pretty sick as well. Trying to decide if I ought to wait or not. One factor in support of waiting is actually that my EVO, by virtue of being rooted, still feels very fresh because I swap out the ROM from time to time. It was an awesome phone anyway, but rooting it just made it that much better.
                            yup. can't wait for the S3 to hit stores. I"m pretty much settled on purchasing it. Just waiting at this point. Going to be awesome!
                            you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• toasty
                              Sir Toastiness
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by 88Mariner
                              yup. can't wait for the S3 to hit stores. I"m pretty much settled on purchasing it. Just waiting at this point. Going to be awesome!
                              any sense of when it was coming out for Sprint? Dude at Best Buy was saying 2013 this afternoon, but I thought it was rumored to be coming out well before that. Probably can't wait that long, will probably just get the EVO LTE and consider upgrading to the SG3 when it comes out.

Comment

Working...