• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tribalcho
    Gold Gabber
    • May 2008

Re: Is America killing dance music?

Originally posted by chuckc
    this thread title is about as gay as it gets.
    Hmm not at all..I think the title is straight forward to the point..Did you read the article?

Nice interview with Richie Hawtin btw : http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/news/2...richie-hawtin/
    GOING TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Todor Kalev - Bringing Back The Old School (Feb 201 by Todor Kalev | Mixcloud

Antarez on hearthis.at

Antarez - DJ Sets And Mixes | listen to music and sounds on hearthis.at

Comment

• floridaorange
      I'm merely a humble butler
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by tribalcho
      Hmm not at all..I think the title is straight forward to the point..Did you read the article?

Nice interview with Richie Hawtin btw : http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/news/2...richie-hawtin/
      The following quote was taken from the above link^^^^^

It seems like Europe is constantly ahead of the U.S. when it comes to electronic dance music. Why do you think that is?
      I think it’s just a cultural thing. Is Europe ahead of America in all music? No. Take hip-hop. Hip-hop has been way ahead in America than anywhere else in the world, because it culturally made sense here. ... I was never a big hip-hop fan, I don’t understand exactly where it came from, but it was bred from an American situation. And electronic music has its origins, a long time ago, in Germany with Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream. It has its ’90s origins in America. You know, Chicago, Detroit and New York. But Europe took the lead of electronic dance music, because there’s a culture there of going out late at night.
      Club culture has just been there for years and years, since the ’70s. America, it’s bar culture, concert culture. Go out till 2 a.m., go home. Pick up a girl, pick up a boy, whatever. People in Spain and Italy and Germany, they go out at midnight. Or they start partying at 3 or 4 a.m. and they want to hear music and just dance and freak out. So that’s why they’ve been ahead, it just made sense there. It’s made sense for a long, long, long time, and it’s just taken America a while to catch up.
      I think music in America, and this emanates across the world, everybody wants to be a superstar. Everybody wants to actually cut themselves off from people. Everybody wants to be on a pedestal. And one of the reasons why electronic music is so f*cking great, and why it’s seen 25 years of success, is that ... for the longest time the industry—the people in the industry, the people running the labels, the people running the booking agencies—they’re really down to earth. People were accessible. You go to a great club with a great DJ, traditionally the DJ is right there with the people. The best place for me to place is as close to the people as possible. So there wasn’t this big disconnect between fan and audience.
      It’s a little bit disappointing how that’s happened in America. It’s really like the whole rock star, hip-hop mentality. You know, these unreachable people. ... It’s not a rock concert where you just make a bunch of visuals and have a bunch of people onstage and project to the audience, doing your songs. Electronic music, and clubbing, is about an energy transfer. You send some frequencies and energy to the people, they send it back to you, and then you actually change and modify. That’s why a great DJ can play totally different every night. It’s not a setlist. It’s a feeling.
      Regarding the title of this thread, parts of America get it, those are the areas that are more open-minded with youth primarily that want to go out and have fun enjoying House or whatever EDM genre for the sake of the music. These areas in America are few and far between. The rest of the America might have a few pockets of a few individuals that get it, but they are out-numbered by the "concert culture" described above. That's why raves and music festivals are such a big deal because they unify enough people who get it and for 1 - 3 nights people let go and enjoy the music for the sake of enjoying the music (in america). From the above article Hawtin says that in Europe this has been a common thing for a long time each and every weekend. Certain cities in America also have laws against having a true night life where people can go out at midnight - ?, it sounds to me like that doesn't exist in most of Europe?

So at the end of the day, the only cities that have any kind of real EDM culture for the sake of the music are located in California, New York and Vegas, and possibly although not probably a few other places (maybe).

And by the way that's why this message board is running, to unify the fringe living in the States in places without any real EDM culture with people all over the world along with those living in the few areas that have a real scene.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• tribalcho
        Gold Gabber
        • May 2008

Mixmag | DJ SHADOW KICKED OFF THE DECKS IN MIAMI
        GOING TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Todor Kalev - Bringing Back The Old School (Feb 201 by Todor Kalev | Mixcloud

Antarez on hearthis.at

Antarez - DJ Sets And Mixes | listen to music and sounds on hearthis.at

Comment

• res0nat0r
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • May 2006

^Damn that is bad. That club is probably some lame ass poser douchenozzle club anyway. I feel bad for him, but let Dead Mau Five play there and DJ Shadow can go somewhere that isn't lame.

Comment

• trick12
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jul 2007

they looove roger sanchez over there
            Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

• foreks
              Addiction started
              • Jun 2004

DJ Shadow should be happy he wasn't shot dead with an American rifle.

Comment

• bigtimm
                Banned
                • Oct 2012

The top comment on the video

Comment

• sbando
                  Going back to Romford
                  • Apr 2008

Lolz, true, da fuq!
                  ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
                  ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
                  ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*
                  ╚══`.¸. ...:::.(¯`•\|/•´¯) ☆*゚

Comment

• floridaorange
                    • Dec 2005

Club Mansion is where people go to hear top 40 rap/pop music remixes... not surprised.

Comment

• floridaorange
                      • Dec 2005

"ya man, you into dubstep man"

Comment

• mades
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Jun 2008

He should change his booking manager.

Comment

• floridaorange
                          • Dec 2005

^no kidding right?!

Comment

• clintlove
                            Hey girl, ya Hungry?
                            • Jun 2004

Shadow was playing trap/bass music when we saw him a couple nights ago here in NOLA. Listened to that crap for 2 hours waiting for him to come on. We were thinking "surely Shadow's not going to play this shit." But he totally did, we could only handle about 45mins of it and had to break out. I now know what his "All Basses Covered" dj set is....

Music is the answer, to your problems. Keep on movin', till you solve them.

sigpic

Comment

• res0nat0r
                              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by clintlove
                              Shadow was playing trap/bass music when we saw him a couple nights ago here in NOLA. Listened to that crap for 2 hours waiting for him to come on. We were thinking "surely Shadow's not going to play this shit." But he totally did, we could only handle about 45mins of it and had to break out. I now know what his "All Basses Covered" dj set is....

That blows.

Comment

• floridaorange
                                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by clintlove
                                well

Comment

Working...