• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nelinho
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Sep 2011

Re: Is America killing dance music?

Originally posted by simonr
    Oakey was opening for U2 at the time of that photo.
    Just opening for U2 not exclusively a dj show?

This lady talks about potential long term future of EDM in states...in the video about 50 seconds in...watch the all the parts...its fucking inspirational and just makes you wish you were there.

Wikipedia

Sasha and Digweed began their ambitious Delta Heavy Tour of the United States in 2002, following the closing of Twilo. The tour featured veteran tour producer Kevin Lyman and opening act Jimmy Van M,[7] the tour covered 31 cities and played to 85,000 people.[8] The appearances were complete with laser shows and video production, were similar to rock concerts than to typical DJ events.[7] This motif was new to the DJing scene, and compelled other DJs to host similar concerts.[9]

Delta Heavy = win
    Status quo = mostly poo

on a seperate issue...Oakenfold photo looks like old Wembley stadium..look at the lights and stadium design

dodger stadium.jpgdodger stadium 2.jpg

also Wembley was virtually a single tier bowl/oval style stadium with a roof...the only area of Dodgers stadium has multi level tiers is behind the home plate end, with the stand directly behind the plate higer than the respective 1st and 3rd base stands...Oakenfold could only be facing the end behind home plate, but the design doesnt match the photo, so I am going with Wembly

I clearly have too much time on my hands
    Attached Files
    Last edited by nelinho; January 14, 2013, 08:39:02 AM. Reason: gooberlicious

Comment

• nelinho
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Sep 2011

old wembley ground view of a similair angle to Oakenfold...not sure why it won't display

Comment

• nelinho
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Sep 2011

kind of backs up my statement of saying sasha & digweed pioneered the US stadium tour concept...although I didnt specify US stadium tour but I am sure I read that somewhere....so not trying make trouble..just trying to clarify that I thought they were the catalyst for it...

Nick Warren is in the Delta Heavy dvd and gave them tips on how to survive the stadium tour by bus, as he'd done it with Massive Attack...

As mentioned...Sasha and Digweed did it for the music and lights experience and put on awesome shows in the US...not to destroy the music..

felt really bad after my first post about that topic. I won't return to this thread now haha..I have opened all the cans of worms I could

Comment

• nelinho
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Sep 2011

As a result, Sasha & John Digweed’s protégé Jimmy Van M. conceived a massive first-of-its-kind touring electronic music event. The revolutionary event was called Delta Heavy.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060509140429/http://www.progressive-sounds.com/features/sasha-digweed-delta-heavy-dvd.asp

It's all Jimmy Van M's fault

Comment

• feather
            Shanghai ooompa loompa
            • Jul 2004

I'm really curious about this, so the trance stadium parties came after Delta Heavy?

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
            a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
            Originally posted by m1sT3rL
            Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• res0nat0r
              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
              • May 2006

no way...

Came out in '94. Don't know if this was all just recorded/from opening up for u2 or not, but still...

Comment

• feather
                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                • Jul 2004

Ah I remember Digweed's Silky Mix on that series!

I had thought the Oakenfold JDJ is his set from U2?

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                  Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                  • May 2006

yeah it could be, im not really sure...

Comment

• res0nat0r
                    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                    • May 2006

I think we are over estimating the impact of Delta Heavy on the general public imp. Note: I love S+D and went to see Delta Heavy 2x myself during the tour, but I don't think the majority of non-dance music listeners know who S+D are. Tiesto and Armin Van Burren, Oakenfold, Skrillex and others are the names they think of when they think about big dance music gigs.

Comment

• floridaorange
                      I'm merely a humble butler
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by res0nat0r
                      I think we are over estimating the impact of Delta Heavy on the general public imp. Note: I love S+D and went to see Delta Heavy 2x myself during the tour, but I don't think the majority of non-dance music listeners know who S+D are. Tiesto and Armin Van Burren, Oakenfold, Skrillex and others are the names they think of when they think about big dance music gigs.
                      Or they do know who Sasha & Digweed are but they don't know what they actually are good at or do necessarily, other than music .

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• feather
                        Shanghai ooompa loompa
                        • Jul 2004

I guess we aren't exactly talking about S&D's impact on people's music taste but Delta Heavy introducing the trend of big stadium parties.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by feather
                          I guess we aren't exactly talking about S&D's impact on people's music taste but Delta Heavy introducing the trend of big stadium parties.
                          I guess I'm saying if I ask my friends what type of dance music they think I listen to they will say skillex, dead mau five or tiesto. They've never heard of s+d.

Comment

• sbando
                            Going back to Romford
                            • Apr 2008

It's correct, "EDM" has little to do with actual EDM. God knows why a geeky label we hardly use became a "genre" in the US.

I have an idea, tho.

╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
                            ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
                            ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*
                            ╚══`.¸. ...:::.(¯`•\|/•´¯) ☆*゚

Comment

• sbando
                              Going back to Romford
                              • Apr 2008

╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
                              ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)