X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

The Olympics vs. Starvation (debate)

I didn't want to hijack the other thread, but here I'd like to discuss the funding of the olympics vs. starvation.

The olympics do not directly feed the mouths of the hungry, but they do seem to help unify the world and give kids and young adults aspirations to do the same. Most of the athletes are sort of like ambassadors for their country, representing large and small populations of people from across the globe.

I can't help but think space exploration is kind of like the olympics of science. The worlds best and brightest work for Nasa, not just Americans. NASA also reminds us to dream and dream big. That is something the majority of the world also tunes into.

And although the olympics and NASA aren't probably the first thing someone who is starving will turn on TV and watch (since they likely do not have TV's), (although they may have access to a TV in a public square, but I digress), they do give hope and aspirational goals to many many people in the world. These kinds of large scale reminders that together we can solve problems (and do). Look at Bill and Melinda Gates and countless other wealthy individuals who serve the world on a massive scale. Then there are people like my Uncles, they grew up playing sports. Sports teaches people numerous lessons about life. They are philanthropists, and serve the least of these on a daily basis in their local cities.

Do the Olympics cost a lot of money? Sure they do... Does NASA spend a lot of money? Obviously. But do the worlds problems supersede mankinds destiny to explore the world we live in, from the depths of the sea (such as James Cameron and others), or for our athletes to push themselves to break records in front of crowds of billions?

They Olympics reminds everyone to:

Never, Never, Never Give Up. (winston churchill)

It was fun while it lasted...
  • Kamal
    Administrator
    • May 2002

Re: The Olympics vs. Starvation (debate)

Poor people are able to come out of poverty with sufficient motivation and drive. 2 generations ago, my entire family from my father's and mother's side were very very poor. They didn't depend on the government to feed them or the generosity of richer people to make end's meet.

If you have made the money and can spend it, do so, don't be a lethargic claimant of your self-deserving ideology to claim your way through life. I'm more of a dem than a rep but I'm not one for giving away freebies.

Good thread though Florida, like the Nasa thread, I'm not against the Olympics either. If a country spends X billion dollars for the games, they will hopefully (likely?) earn back X + 1 from sales of tickets, tourism (which includes restaurants, hotels, sight seeing, local transportation), and overall boost to the local economy thanks to the massive volume of visitors to the country.
    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
    Originally posted by ace_dl
    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• simonr
      Transitionator
      • Jun 2004

The olympics gives people hope & pride.

Maybe diverting all the research/funding and proceeds from arms sales etc. into uniting/feeding the world would be a good idea.
      sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• trick12
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jul 2007

title fail>thread fail
        Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

• trick12
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jul 2007

if u have starved before i dont think you were gonna compare it to something like the olympics, its not a joke and its not debatable..

well i guess its understood coming from a guy that has a gold medal in starting threads about favorite condiments and foods

Comment

• Kamal
            Administrator
            • May 2002

awww c'mon trick, just cause didi and juicer aren't in this thread means you're upset? I've fasted, I've posted in this thread, what is it about the thread that upsets you?
            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
            he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
            I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• DIDI
              Aussie Pest
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by trick12
              if u have starved before i dont think you were gonna compare it to something like the olympics, its not a joke and its not debatable..

well i guess its understood coming from a guy that has a gold medal in starting threads about favorite condiments and foods
              Yeah, making starvation the subject of jokes isn't my idea of humour either, but in FO's defence he is only following the leader this time.
              Originally posted by TheVrk
              it IS incredible isn't it??
              STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
              Simply does not get any better than Hernan
              The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• AchtungBaby!
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Feb 2009

kind of agree with this.. but more link in a deeper discussion, you can´t compare nothing with starvation.. i mean, we are a rare rare specie.. we can enjoy Olympics (or whatever "comparable") KNOWING the fact that billons of people are starving out there.. weird, to say the least..

We should go back to that NASA - Olympics discussion, both means loads of money but imo the world needs them.. Is not like starvation is avoidable without them or even close, we humans have the power and the resources to make starvation history.. it´s up to us.. But somehow, deeply we don´t give a fuck

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

• DIDI
                  Aussie Pest
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Kamal
                  awww c'mon trick, just cause didi and juicer aren't in this thread means you're upset? I've fasted, I've posted in this thread, what is it about the thread that upsets you?
                  In my defence it's time difference

Fasting does not equal starvation. Remove the Vs from the title and it is subject certainly worth deeper discussion.
                  STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• trick12
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Kamal
                    not sure realyy what u mean? and im not upset bai

i just think that starvation is not a subject to compare to the olympics.

Comment

• AchtungBaby!
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Feb 2009

And one more thing.. I think we actually do lots of things to turn this place on a better place , but checking out our resources and knowledge, we are doing the average shot imo

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

• DIDI
                        Aussie Pest
                        • Nov 2004

He's playing the man again not the ball.

Comment

• trick12
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Jul 2007

i do see your point in the nasa/olympics which is fine like Achtung said, both are for people to cheer. and i personally have cheered in the olympics and enjoying it. i def wont go talk about comparing it to people starving, even if we are talking about money spending wise we can say would we rather have the olympics or use the money to assist the country in depression...

but to stretch our discussion to starving people, i mean these people dont even know we exist since they have no internet and computers and hd tv's to watch the olympic and then come compare it to them, im actually glad they dont have access to such ridiculousness.

i have seen starving people, i have been around people that work all day just to eat a small plate of beans with one loaf of bread for a family of 7...and these are the lucky ones by the way coz some cant even have that loaf of bread and theyre surprisingly satisfied and happier than people that do nothing but stuff themselves with food...

so unless u have lived their lives dont talk about them and def if you do dont compare to olympics which is mainly a game, coz theyre not playing. and when u see the next starved person tell him i was debating you or the olympics.

and fasting??? that has nothing to do with starving, i have been fasting for 22 days just to feel for these people and its nothing like them, at least i find a meal to eat at sunset and im thankful for it...and its my choice, while they dont have a choice and are not doing it to be fit.

Comment

• Kamal
                            Administrator
                            • May 2002

Originally posted by DIDI
                            He's playing the man again not the ball.
                            And what are you trying to play didster?
                            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• Kamal
                              Administrator
                              • May 2002

Bossi I relate, starvation isnt a topic to be played or compared with, but what is the reason to bring it into an unrelated topic such as space exploration. Seriously? If there's a point to be made, do it through actions, why drag it into an online EDM forum in a place it doesn't belong. I don't say that crudely, but realistically.
                              www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

Working...