X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • liquidmesa
    Getting Somewhere
    • Aug 2007

Who cares about a lineup anyway?

Well, now that I (hopefully) got your attention...
    Recently, tickets went on sale for the Electric Daisy Carnival in Orlando Florida. What irks me is that they have not released the line up for the show. This is a 2-day event and tickets are about 140.00 after fees. Kids are buying up these tickets like candy without even knowing who is playing. I find it hard to fork over my hard earned cash for a "mystery show."
    This isn't the first time this has happened, EDC did not announce the lineup for its show in NYC and the tickets were sold out in hours.
    I would like to write an opinion article for online publication on the matter, but I want some input from festival goers such as yourself. If you could help by answering some of the questions below, I would be greatly appreciated - not to mention I hope this starts a good debate.
    Would you buy $140 tickets for a mystery show - one without a lineup? Why or why not? Is the street cred of EDC really that great that they should be able to pull this off?
    Have you ever bought tickets for a show without a lineup before? Were you disappointed or did you get what your expected? Are there other promotion companies that are starting to do this too?
    Why do you think this is going on? What does this say about the new generation of festival goers? What about the musical acts playing in the show - how do they feel that they are really no longer the attraction, the experience is the attraction?
    If you are a promoter - why is this practice popping up? What is the need for all the mystery? Is this something that we are going to start seeing more and more? Is it more successful to promote a show this way than announcing the lineup first?
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Re: Who cares about a lineup anyway?

Interesting topic.

Is EDC all ages? I think the majority of the people who are going to EDC nowadays probably don't mind what the lineup is. These festivals are major money makers and you can bet the company responsible for organizing it has done their market research. As for what it says about those buying tix without knowing the lineup, I personally think it's more of a reflection of that particular festival and what else it has to offer i.e. rides, lights, attractions, etc. The kids that go are going for the experience of all that and not necessarily just to see their favorite dj's.

Compare that with Bonarroo or Coachella and you've got people who talk about the lineup all year long on Forums up until the festivals begin. You don't have carnival rides, and things of that nature although you do have lights and art installations. But the music is the most important component. Although with the internet democratizing the music industry, more and more people are going to festivals to discover artists they have never heard of while expecting there to be a handful of BIG NAME artists they know and love.

I found this on youtube, kind of funny to hear what news reporters think of EDC... a bit surprised none of the report was negative. Wonder what city this is? Probably vegas, definitely the more open minded west coast (I assume).

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

Do they release the lineup closer to the date?

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Krystyan
        Platinum Poster
        • Oct 2004

This is the rule for festivals in Argentina... They've been selling tickets for two or three months already for Creamfields in November... and not one artist has been confirmed... And you get full confirmation of all artists and set times just 1 or 2 weeks before it...

And it's been happening since day 1.
        https://www.facebook.com/YEGworld

Comment

• floridaorange
          I'm merely a humble butler
          • Dec 2005

Photos from EDC San Fran....

The Best of EDC DAY 3 | Heist and Co

The Best of EDC DAY 1 | Heist and Co

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• jay813
            Platinum Poster
            • May 2005

a friend of mine asked me about EDC orlando. Im not a fan of festivals at all so i dont really care what the line up is but i have an isdea what it will look like

Comment

• feather
              Shanghai ooompa loompa
              • Jul 2004

Looks like a shit party.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
              a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
              Originally posted by m1sT3rL
              Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

Working...