X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hoff
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Aug 2009

PlayGround Mix 100 ► Henry Saiz presents Hal Incandenza

http://www.mixcloud.com/playgroundmag/playground-mix-100-henry-saiz-presents-hal-incandenza/

Duration: 00:50:45

Caetano Veloso: “Tudo Tudo Tudo”
    Carly Simon: “Why (LeSale Dub Edit)” + Original
    Gotye feat. Kimbra: “Somebody That I Used To Know (Hal Incandenza´s Kilimanjaro Fuck Off edit)”
    Sir Stephen: “Bastard Prince”
    Kraver: “Supermoon NSFW Remix”
    BDI: “Paper tears”
    Actress: “Maze (Hal Incandenza´s Edit)”
    Professor Genius: “Pegaso”
    Henry Saiz & Cora Novoa: “Golden Dawn (Douze Remix)”
    Black Sabbath: “Planet Caravan (MAU Fixup V2)”
    Rick Astley: “Sleeping” (FGD Rework)” + CJ Bolland: “Chicago”
    DMX Krew: “You Can´t Hide Your Love (Aphex Twin Remix)”

Download
    the mix here
    . .::: Zippyshare.com - PlayGround Mix 100 - Henry Saiz presents Hal Incandenza.mp3

• Hoff
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Aug 2009

Re: PlayGround Mix 100 ► Henry Saiz presents Hal Incandenza

When Henry Saiz started to prepare for his contribution to the DJ mix series “Balance” (number 19, like new Real Madrid player Luka Modric), the set structure consisted of two different blocks. The first one, on CD 1, was more sinuous and floating; the second, much more overwhelming, epic, to the point. It all sounded as if the first 70 minutes were a patient, detailed introduction, full of melodies and with slower beats, leading to the final orgy of big club music, short-circuiting your senses in a euphoric spiral. That record seemed to be a dialogue between the Henry Saiz of old (a cult figure in the global progressive house scene, even though he'll be horrified by the label; occupational hazards and that) with a new Henry Saiz, seemingly wanting to escape from the style and the image. A freer Henry started to appear, less bound to hit formulas, more in touch with his education in disco and synth-pop. In that mix was the seed of Hal Incandenza, his new creative outlet, an alias he started to use freely this year.

On “Balance 019”, we already heard “Mystical Tree”, his first track signed with the name taken from David Foster Wallace's cult novel “Infinite Jest”, and Hal, the project, hasn't stopped growing since. Last July, he released the digital single “Ventura” (featuring the original and dub versions of a great tool to tear the roof off the sucker with) on his own Natura Sonoris label, the first episode of the Incandenza saga, which promises to be as twisted and fascinating as the one lived by the family in Foster Wallace's aforementioned novel. Today, we bring you a new chapter, which also marks number 100 of our exclusive podcast series PlayGround Mix. Henry Saiz made his first DJ set under the name Hal Incandenza, and we have the premiere, so you can get a taste of the new sound, or at least part of it – Henry says that he hasn't even developed 1% of the project's potential. We also took the opportunity to have a chat with our man about all things Hal, and about his plans for the immediate future, such as the release of the first Henry Saiz album, expected in early 2013.

If our memory serves us well, this is the first time you're using an alias other than Henry Saiz. What made you invent Hal Incandeza?

That's right. I'm not big on using different monikers, because I think that as an artist you could go off-track too much if you do, and people get confused. But the truth is that I had been thinking about Hal Incandenza for a few years, and I felt that now is a good time to start developing it.

Do you see this project as something completely different from Henry Saiz, or as complementary?

I see it as complementary rather than completely different, but let's say that one of Hal's characteristics is that it explores territories similar to those Henry Saiz works in, but from a much freer viewpoint, maybe with more 'humour' and stylistic freedom. Henry Saiz sounds more solemn and, I don't know, omniscient, maybe somewhat darker. With Hal, I want to establish a different relationship with the listener, equally emotive, but freer, crazier, if you will. So I guess that stylistically it's complementary, but conceptually opposed at times.

You made your debut on Natura Sonoris with “Ventura”. Are you going to keep Hal as a private project, for your own label only, or will we see you on other labels as well, remixing or even releasing records?

I don't think I see Hal as strictly Natura Sonoris, but I did want to release “Ventura” on the label. The idea is to release the music on labels with a sound that is more like Hal's. I hope to announce some surprises pretty soon, there are a lot of labels I feel like working with.

The original track has a distinctive synthetic disco feel. Many people may not be aware of the influence Italo disco has had on your sound. How would you describe it and to what extent has synth music from the 80s influenced your work?

You're absolutely right; Italo and disco are what have influenced me most as a musician. I'm also formed by other styles, such as black metal, but Italo is a genre I'm especially fascinated by, and the way it fuses its fetishes with other styles I find incredible. As Henry Saiz, I made quite a few tracks that were born from the idea to add techno beats to some Italo chords, which people later called 'prog-house', which I find odd, as I've never been a fan of that style. But then again, all those tags and styles are so subjective that I don't really care. But yes, a very high percentage of my formation as a musician is due to disco music and all of its sub-genres, and Italo disco in particular.

For now, Hal has produced beat material. Will there be beatless stuff, too? I’ve heard you're producing more cosmic material, or will that be for another project?

Yes, no doubt, I haven't even developed 1% of Hal Incandenza's sound. I've got enough material to fill two albums with now, and I'm figuring out how I want to present the project, fine-tuning the concept. Despite the fact that it has a certain sound, very analogue and with a very lo-fi production, there's a lot of variety in the material I'm preparing. Basically it's a kind of pop, in the sense that they are songs, rather than music to play out as a DJ. There are beatless tracks, semi-new age and trippy stuff, there's a bit of everything I like, really.

What's the future for this project? Where would you like to take it?

My idea with this project is to let it grow naturally, without pressure, letting it be something based on making whatever I feel like, with the people I feel like working with. It will just go with the flow. Of course, I would love it to reach as many people as possible and I hope it will go that way next year. People have responded to it really well so far and I haven’t even showed anything yet, so I have faith that something good will come from it.

Speaking of projects: what's happening with Tyrane? Can you explain what it is exactly (you debuted it on “Balance”) and what you want to do with it?

Well, Tyrane is the biggest puzzle I've been involved with, but it's also the project I'm most proud of. It's emotionally very close to me, as it's something I've been working on for years with my best friend, involving the people who are closest to me, which makes it very important to me. That's why we're taking our time to present it, choosing the right label, the right way to promote it, everything. Basically, we're calling it ‘synth-rock’, to give it a name. It's all big and evocative songs with a sound between electronic and organic, and with a powerful message. On “Balance” I used a Henry Saiz remix of one of the tracks, but that was exactly that, a remix, nothing to do with the actual sound. If everything goes as planned, we'll present it next year with a couple of singles and a live show. I think we're shooting a video by the end of this year, and I really want people to hear it, all the secrecy is killing us. But it has to be at the right moment.

Hal Incandenza takes its name from the main character of “Infinite Jest”. What do you find attractive in that character? Apparently he's a problematic drug addict suffering from Asperger syndrome and a genius, so the fascination is understandable, but it's not someone anyone would like to be reflected in. Do you identify with him?

Everything about that character is fascinating; he's very complex and has an incredible personality. I don't think I identify with him 100%, luckily, because he's mental, but I love the image of the tennis academy he attends, that whole teen-futurist-genius-addict thing. And I love the sound of the name, so I decided to use the name as a tribute as well. I actually wanted to make a concept album about “Infinite Jest”, because it's a fascinating world that offers a lot to analyse, it would be a challenge to translate it to music. Maybe I'll do it someday.

What have you been reading lately?

I haven't got a lot of time to read this year, unfortunately. I'm reading a couple of things at the same time, mostly non-fiction. A lot of essays, like “A Short History Of Nearly Everything”, by Bill Bryson, and things by Michio Kaku. I've also picked up writings by Erich Fromm and essays about the perception of reality, but that's more as research material and inspiration for my Henry Saiz album. I would love to read a good novel, but it is hard to find time for that these days. Oh, and I also have the latest book by Miguel Noguera, to relax with.

Have books helped you shape your music in a way, beyond inspiration for song titles, or a vague idea of futurism or post-modernity?

Books, like films and music, have had a huge influence on me, like on everyone, when it comes to shaping my outlook on life and my message as an artist. To be honest, I find people who use art to create a persona and be able to move around in society rather pitiful. Snobbery, hipsterdom, prejudice, the whole 'this is good, that is bad' thing, I deeply loathe all of that. That's why I like PlayGround, because you analyse trends, even set them, but you don't seem snobby or elitist like other publications, which I simply don't read. But going back to your question, when I use some cultural or, say, 'post-modern' reference in a song title or the name of a project, it's not to show the world how post-modern I am, but rather a tribute to something that influenced me or that I'm fascinated by. I don't consider myself 'in the know' about post-modern culture, far from it, actually. And let's be honest, not too many people know where the references come from.

How would you describe the mix you made for us? How did you make it, and what do you want to express with it?

You caught me right in the middle of summer, at a time when my life was all about the swimming pool, the beach and the intense heat. I didn't think about it too much, it came more or less naturally, as you'll see, I didn't hesitate to use an edit of that massive hit by Gotye with Kimbra, which I guess is as non-underground as it can get right now, but I like it, period. I think it's a very well made and evocative song. That's more or less the spirit of my sets as Hal, when I'm feeling free to play whatever I like, no questions asked. Do you know what I'm preparing with Hal, and I would love to present with you guys? I'm making an extremely long set using only samples of Spanish music from the 70s and 80s, think Mecano, Tino Caal etc. I've got a lot of it done already; all edits and remixes of those tracks. It's amazing what great music was made in this country. And I forgot to say that Hal is heavily influenced by Mecano, but I haven't released any of that material yet. Spanish pride, yes sir.

You're recording your album as Henry Saiz, and you're using the samples people sent you as part of the “We Are Henry Saiz” concept. How did you come up with that idea, and how is the record developing with the material you received? Do the samples change your initial ideas, or do you select the best material to improve what you already have in mind?

The idea came to me when I started thinking about the album about a year or so ago, and I'm pleased to see nobody has done it so far. The material people are sending me is merging with the stuff I had already been making, and in some cases it's the starting point for tracks. A lot of the stuff I'm receiving is incredible. By the way, I would like to take the opportunity to remind everyone that this week's the deadline to send me your samples.

Apart from the album, if that's going to be out soon, what does the rest of the year look like for you?

The album will be out in February 2013, but prior to that there will be at least a couple of singles with tracks taken from it and their remixes. I'll release the most 'poppy' tracks of the record on single, so I think it will make some waves, as it's quite a big change for someone who's used to the music I release on techno labels. I'm just doing what feels right to me right now, and I hope people will feel it. The last thing I want to do is to repeat a formula, an album has to be something personal, it has to reflect what the artist really wants to say, so that's where I'm at right now.

. .:: PlayGround Mix 100: Henry Saiz presents Hal Incandenza MUSIC MIXES | PlayGround | INTERNATIONAL ALTERNATIVE INDEPENDENT MUSIC MIXES ONLINE

Comment

• trick12
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Jul 2007

ayaya...nice one amigo
      Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

• alexsibarra
        Platinum Poster
        • Dec 2007

thanx
        8 )
        IT MEANS A LOT

Comment

• AchtungBaby!
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • Feb 2009

Grabbing.. thanks

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

• chuckc
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Jun 2004

Pretty kool mix, liked it way more then the last one that just came out...

He plays an interesting up tempo version of Black Sabbath "planet caravan", one of my all time favorites from sabbath

Comment

• vinnie97
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Jul 2007

Ooh, an Aphex Twin remix plus CJ Bolland and Rick Astley (following the Black Sabbath). Looks like a rollercoaster of a conclusion.

Comment

• AchtungBaby!
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Feb 2009

Very professional mix.. defo a keeper

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

• trick12
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Hoff

Actress: “Maze (Hal Incandenza´s Edit)”
                  Professor Genius: “Pegaso”

and then....

this is the kinda mix i expect from henry...

this is a whole nother level

Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

• unkle
                    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                    • Mar 2007

I Want it !!!!!

Thanks !!!!

Comment

• Illuminate
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Aug 2009

Saiz.

Although, i was not too impressed witth the Ibiza Spotlight mix. This should hopefully incinerate everything.

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
                      Sbando
                      - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
                      Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
                      Bob
                      "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
                      the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
                      KiwiTollway

Comment

Working...