• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • [ms]_Podcast_Bot
    Music Bitch
    • Aug 2009

Podcast
    Clash Music - ClashMusic Dj Mix Podcast - John Tejada

Refined tech-house stalwart John Tejada goes straight for the purist approach, with a beautifully presented vinyl mix for the Clash DJ podcast.
    Tejada digs deep into his own back catalogue for the mix, unearthing some of the rarer gems in his substantial collection, alongside several choice remixes – of Claude VonStroke, Jimpster and Jamie Anderson, among others. As with his own recordings, Tejada’s mix is full of warm, considered tones, with strong melodies frequently taking centre stage.
    Clash chatted to Tejada to find out more about his mix-making ethos.
    Tell us about the mood of your mix.
    I recorded the mix in my studio on turntables and vinyl in real time. I thought it would be fun to go through my collection and find some pieces I haven’t heard or mixed for a long time, while also showcasing some tunes of mine that people may not be so familiar with.
    Do you have any particular musical ethos when it comes to DJ mixes?
    Not usually. I enjoy making mixes in a variety of ways. Sometimes I go for the more edited approach. In this case I went for the purist approach of vinyl and two decks, no edits.
    All the tracks used are either your own or remixed by you – do you find that this gives a more personal representation of you as an artist in a mix?
    Yes. I haven’t done a mix like this in a while. Sometimes it’s fun to relive the past a bit and see those older creations with a new perspective in a new light.
    There’s a Detroit vibe to some of your productions – who are your most inspirational Detroit artists?
    There are just too many to mention, everything from Motown to The Stooges to early UR, DBX, Bellville Three, Carl Craig, etc. Too many to name.
    Tell us about your new album, ‘The Predicting Machine’:
    It was great to work on an album and focus just on the creative process knowing Kompakt would take care of the rest. This really freed me creatively. I’m working with a mostly hardware-based studio, and on this album I took some of my own techniques a bit deeper with synthesis and patching things around. I wanted a continuation of my last album, ‘Parabolas’, with a step in a slightly new direction and some hints of nostalgia.
    ‘The Predicting Machine’ is out now on Kompakt.
    DOWNLOAD JOHN TEJADA'S DJ MIX HERE
    (right click and 'Save as...')
    John Tejada tracklist
    1. Jimpster - Square Up (John Tejada Remix) [Buzzin’ Fly]
    2. John Consemulder - Rewind To Start (John Tejada Remix) [Moods &
    Grooves]
    3. Claude VonStroke - Deep Throat (John Tejada Remix) [Dirtybird]
    4. Jamie Anderson - The New Jazz (John Tejada Remix) [Front Room Recordings]
    5. Ben Mono - Plastik Passion (John Tejada Remix) [Compost]
    6. John Thomas - Blackstage (John Tejada Remix) [Logistic]
    7. John Tejada - Timebomb VIP Mix [7th City]
    8. John Tejada - Pasadena Shuffle [A13/Palette]
    9. John Tejada - As Far As Fun [Mosaic]
    10. John Tejada - When Shadows Start Falling [7th City]
    11. John Tejada - Speakers Dream [Ferox]
    12. John Tejada & Arian Leviste - Channels Of Thought [Immigrant]
    13. John Tejada - Custom - Generations [R&S]
    14. John Tejada - Antithesis [Sino]
    Check out the previous episodes of our Dj Mix Series on iTunes HERE or individually on ClashMusic.com HERE

Podcast home: http://www.clashmusic.com

Read more about + download this podcast
Working...