X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • diegoff
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

for you, audiophiles at MS...

I'm looking for an advice, and I know you can help me in this one. I'm selling some audio gear that I'm not using lately, and I want to use the money I'll get from it to buy a nice audio amplifier, to listen to music in CD format.
    I know some about audio monitors and professional equipment, but only a little about HI FI systems. I've been reading a lot in audio forums, and talking to people in the audio business, and I'm thinking in buying a Sansui amp, model AU-717. I was looking for something modern, but they told me that they aren't better than the vintage equipment (of course, speaking of the same amount of money). My previous decision was a Cambridge Audio amp, model 540 or so.
    These items are hard to find here, but in that price I can choose between:

Sansui AU-9900:

Preamp+power amp Yamaha C50 + M50:

NAD 317:

Rotel RA-1062:

Pre + Power CARVER (C3 + TFM-6Cb)

I'm opened to any advise. I know many of you use hifi systems. I'm a newbie at it
    Itīs a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
    Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
    May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current
  • Huggie Smiles
    Anyone have Styx livesets?
    • Jun 2004

Re: for you, audiophiles at MS...

Cambridge audio 540 - is really good; the Rotel is a close second.

The NAD stuff is really good for the right price. In the UK NAD is really good FOR THE MONEY. In the US NAD is fairly (relatively) expensive and therefore not as good value for money.

the other thing - is try it for yourself. If you can listen to any of these before buying them - you will hear whether is suits your tastes. (not sure if possible)

2 cents

{I have a Linn system. With Pro Ac speakers}
    ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• Kamal
      Administrator
      • May 2002

Originally posted by Huggie Smiles
      Cambridge audio 540 - is really good; the Rotel is a close second.
      Sacrilege, it's Rotel or BUST. And don't get the pre-amp and amp racked up in 1. Get the 2 separate units, you won't regret it. I had a buddy who had a studio in NYC and the Rotel set could sing 24 hours a day delivering the most crystal clear sound. I ended up buying a pair from another buddy that barely had a month's worth of use, I never really ended up building my dream audio room. For most of their life, my Rotel's have been sitting in a box. Someday I will unpack them and connect them to a killer set of PSBs. I know there's better speakers out there than this but for the money (and combination), it's a match to beat.
      www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
      he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
      Originally posted by ace_dl
      Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
      I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• diegoff
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

thanks! Iīve been looking for Linn systems, but very hard to find in Argentina (Huggie, I bet your audio systems kicks ass ).
        So, now Iīll take a listen to the Sansui and the Rotel ones.
        K-man: PSBīs look great! also hard to find here, but the web site has nice pics.
        Itīs a spiritual thing!

Comment

• Kamal
          Administrator
          • May 2002

I'm not really an "audiophile" but I know what I listen to and I know how I want it to sound, given that, these are my dream PSBs to get - Image T6 Tower - PSB Speakers

610psb.1b.jpg

KEFs / B&Ws are a close second, only because I can get nearly the same experience for nearly half the price with PSBs.

This is the Rotel Power Amp that I have

$T2eC16h,!wsE9suw0P0CBQwOmoP-o!~~60_57.JPG

and it's mated to an older generation of this Surround Receiver / Pre-Amp

$(KGrHqJHJBQE+Jlb3UunBQGq1N62Q!~~60_57.JPG
          Attached Files
          www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
          he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
          I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• Kamal
            Administrator
            • May 2002

Of course if you do want to splurge a little more than the KEFs and the B&Ws and want to really enjoy your EDM to it's finest glory, then you cannot go grown with the Sonus Faber Grand Pianos. Don't know if they are available where you are but they are truly an amazing set. The front of the speaker is leather wrapped and the bass is so tight, it's incredible. When I was hooked to them back in 2004 / 2005, they were nearly $4K a pair.

Floorspeakers_07.jpg
            Last edited by Kamal; December 12, 2012, 11:31:07 AM.
            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• diegoff
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Jun 2004

^ Iīd give in my mother for those
              nice equipment! Iīll let you know my decision in the next days, If I sell my other stuff.
              Itīs a spiritual thing!

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                Anyone have Styx livesets?
                • Jun 2004

Kamal your budget is way out for many people! The cambridge 540 is around 400 US dollars - its ridiculously good sound for that kind of price. It will drive speakers with ease and clarity. Wharfedale or B&W are an excellent pairing.

Personal sound preferences are always a feature when buying a decent stero sytem that suits each individual.

Of course if people are willing to spend thousands, then pre-amp post amp is the way to go.

P.S. I wanna come over when you set up your system Kamal! Its gonna be amazing.
                ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• Kamal
                  Administrator
                  • May 2002

You can get a good used pair of Rotel's on ebay that are closer to everyday budgets. Mine were used and even at the time of my purchase, just slightly out of my budget. But it's amazing what a good amp can do even with a shitty pair of speakers. When you posted that the Rotel's were close second to Cambridge, I presumed audio quality was intention behind it and not the entire package. But I stand corrected if that were the case.

Another really good $400 amp / receiver to buy is Yamaha. They are relatively unpopular but them buggers know their shit. Just like the people behind Onkyo. There's a reason why EVERY Bose store across the United States has Bose Speakers connected to Onkyo amps.
                  www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• sbando
                    Going back to Romford
                    • Apr 2008

Oh, by the way, I'm selling my ProACs D25!
                    ╔══╗............/\_ļ_/\
                    ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
                    ╔╝(Ŋ`vīŊ).......ღ***ღ.*
                    ╚══`.ļ. ...:::.(Ŋ`•\|/•īŊ) ☆*゚

Comment

• diegoff
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Jun 2004

sbando, really beautiful speakers. I could only pay for the mailing bill for them

Only ROTEL amps for sale (used items) are the models RA-05 and RA-1062. Integrated amps both.
                      Cambridge audio 640A, 650A, 540a (this one is cheaper)
                      Sansui AU417, AU717, AU719

my decision will be between this ones.
                      I was kinda decided by Cambridge, but a man in the business told me the old Sansui's work a lot better. And you say Rotel is pretty good... I'll go and listen to them. It's comfortable to have a remote control, and a nice display... that's one less point for the vintage sansui's.
                      Itīs a spiritual thing!

Comment

• bigtimm
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2012

Here in UK Rotel is seen as a bit of a ...... how can i say....... poor option. Nothing bad, reliable gear but you canget so much better for your money. NAD is shite

Get as much money for your stuff as you can and let us know ? As for speakers, Kef and Wharfdale are both over priced for what they are. In that price range you should be looking for something serious, something with craft. You could buy a pair of Linns second hand that would piss on anything Kef produce for the same money

Comment

• bigtimm
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2012

I got your message my friend, I appreciate what may or may not br available where you live is a factor

On ebay there are Linn Kan IIs for 1500 - 2300 peso. Shipping is the problem though huh?

Comment

• bigtimm
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2012

Arcam Alpha 6 amps go for around 800 peso on ebay, a lovely true analogue. I have one

Comment

• bigtimm
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2012

or this is beautiful

Comment

Working...