Encryption, Jr.
        • Jun 2004

Re: Greatest Album?

Comment

• wowflutter
          Getting Somewhere
          • Jun 2004

I'll probably get shit for this, but it seems to me in the EDM community that most people have a very recent knowledge/preference when it comes to albums, films and literature.

Mabe it has something to do with age, although it doesn't seem likely.

Whenever a "Top Albums of all time" or "Top films of all time" or "Top books of all time" thread emerges, not only here, but in any EDM forums or conversations, people usually pick stuff that's been released within the last 10 years aproximately.

I will not get into a taste debate. If people find Leftfield or Bjork or Underworld as consequential as Debussy, The Beatles or Serge Gainsbourg or Bowie or Nick Drake, it is their preference and it is absolutely undisputable. Same thing with "Matrix", "Requiem for a Dream" or "Coneheads" over "Citizen Kane", "Rashomon" or "Barry Lyndon"; or "American Psycho", "Generation X" or "The Da Vinci Code" over "Anna Karenina", "As I Lay Dying" or "King Lear".

I just wonder if the majority of people who quote their preferences, mainly contemporary (as in 80s, 90s, 2k) have been exposed to the earlier stuff. This is born purely out of curiosity, and is not meant to critize anyone's taste.

wf
          "Wit is the epitaph of an emotion" - Nietzsche

Comment

• progpopey
            Fresh Peossy
            • Aug 2004

Guns n Roses "Appetite for Destruction" takes some beating. I disagree with Radiohead being number 1.

Comment

• Kinetic
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by wowflutter
              I'll probably get shit for this, but it seems to me in the EDM community that most people have a very recent knowledge/preference when it comes to albums, films and literature.

Mabe it has something to do with age, although it doesn't seem likely.

Whenever a "Top Albums of all time" or "Top films of all time" or "Top books of all time" thread emerges, not only here, but in any EDM forums or conversations, people usually pick stuff that's been released within the last 10 years aproximately.

I will not get into a taste debate. If people find Leftfield or Bjork or Underworld as consequential as Debussy, The Beatles or Serge Gainsbourg or Bowie or Nick Drake, it is their preference and it is absolutely undisputable. Same thing with "Matrix", "Requiem for a Dream" or "Coneheads" over "Citizen Kane", "Rashomon" or "Barry Lyndon"; or "American Psycho", "Generation X" or "The Da Vinci Code" over "Anna Karenina", "As I Lay Dying" or "King Lear".

I just wonder if the majority of people who quote their preferences, mainly contemporary (as in 80s, 90s, 2k) have been exposed to the earlier stuff. This is born purely out of curiosity, and is not meant to critize anyone's taste.

wf
              That?s a good point, but I think people tend to vote for this on a purely subjective basis, of which a big part is the influence or importance of certains albums in their lives. Personally, that?s why I chose those albums.

But I mean...Pink Floyd, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, John Coltrane, The Clash, Bob Marley, The Beatles, The Stones, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Kraftwerk, Marvin Gaye...even classical stuff like Wagner...Their influence in every kind of music out there today is so strong, that ? feel it?s almost mandatory to somehow get to know them and get exposed, if you truly have a passion for music. Thankfully my father has always had impeccable taste in music...
              "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
              http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

• peloquin
                Till I Come!
                • Jun 2004

miles davis - kind of blue
                radiohead - ok computer
                joy division - unknown pleasures
                pink floyd - dark side of the moon