X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregWhelan
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

General question about dj'ing

Evening all. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but the dj forum looked pretty dead.

Anyway, just bought a house and set my decks up in one of the spare rooms for the first time in about 7 years (never had room previously and they were in my mum's loft). I have 2 x Technics 1210's and a Gemini PS646 mixer. Been having great fun just mucking about on them and playing some old records that I had genuinely forgot I had.

However, as I've been mixing some of the tracks up it raised a question I've always wondered about mixing - I've never been that great a mixer and always just did it for fun - I've played 3 gigs in my life! When I'm beatmatching the tracks, no matter what level I have the bass on, you can always tell straight away that a new track is coming in - sort of that clunky beat sound that you would associate with shoddy mixing. Why is this? Is it because those two particular tracks just arent that great a fit? Or is it just the nature of vinyl dj'ing? Every mix I hear on soundcloud etc is pretty much impeccable mixing - is this because the latest software/cdj's etc simply eliminate the beat clashes, no matter how minor?

Is there anything I can do with the mixer to eliminate/reduce these clashes, or is it a case of finding out what tunes go better with other tunes? Even when I beatmatch the tunes to what I think is a perfect match you can always still tell the new tune is there straight away.

Would welcome opinions from fellow bedroom dj's, or those lucky enough to play out a lot!
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

Re: General question about dj'ing

Why is this? Is it because those two particular tracks just arent that great a fit? Or is it just the nature of vinyl dj'ing? Every mix I hear on soundcloud etc is pretty much impeccable mixing - is this because the latest software/cdj's etc simply eliminate the beat clashes, no matter how minor?
    Probably a combination of all of those things (except for off beats being the nature of vinyl djing, that's not an excuse to have chunky mixes), with the addition that you're just not mixing them well enough.

1. most, not all, but most of those super tight flawless mixes you hear on soundcloud these days are using serato/traktor/ableton etc. That doesn't mean you can't do it with straight vinyl, but i'm not buying that there are THAT many good vinyl djs these days, because after DJing for 15 years, I know great vinyl djs aren't a dime a dozen, and they're becoming a dying breed these days.

2. I haven't heard you play, but based on my own experience, it took me a lot of practice, ride the pitch, know your records, etc to nail vinyl mixing. I played records for quite a while before I was comfortable enough with my mixing skills and record knowledge to take it public. It eventually just became second nature. I will still play a record here and there, but i'll bet i'd be pretty rusty with a straight vinyl mix right now.

3. You can always hear that bass come in because you're bringing the whole piece in too hard, too fast...likely because you're not patient enough to ride a long mix, you don't know the records well enough to ride a long mix, etc. Use the pitch, fine tune that shit, and keep your gummy hands off the vinyl/table- you can hear that shit a mile away.

Basically, you need practice.

I'll add this though, vinyl isn't supposed to sound like you mixed it in a studio with a computer!! It's live, and it's supposed to be raw! Kids these days...

Comment

• unkle
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • Mar 2007

Comment

• feather
        Shanghai ooompa loompa
        • Jul 2004

Not the right key?

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
        a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
        Originally posted by m1sT3rL
        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Dhar_2
          meat and potatoes
          • Jun 2004

use the bass, mid and treble to alternate which part of the track you introduce.

as you turn up one, turn down the other. that way you eliminate the peak in waveforms.

Comment

• GregWhelan
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

Cheers guys for the constructive feedback.

Jenks - one thing I need to sort out is the actual mixer itself. I've never really known what all the buttons and dials are for really, apart from the basic cross fader etc. Which is another question - why is there a cross fader and then the up/down faders? Is it just for choice? Or is there a fundamental reason? I tend to have the cross fader in the middle but bring the new record in using the up/down faders.

Dhar - I'm assuming you mean when you turn up the treble on one record, you turn the treble down on the other record? Is this what is actually happening when you see DJ's fiddling and twisting on the mixer (even though it doesnt actually sound like anything is happening?

Totally agree on the practice thing - I used the equipment every day for about 5 years and got quite comfortable, knew my records, what went well with what etc. I suppose I need to stop trying to create a global underground/renaissance mix for every 2-track transition!

Comment

• nelinho
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Sep 2011

^what they said

I tend to Introduce the bass/mid/treble gradually...new track usually comes in with no bass and sometimes lower hi freq to disguise the high hats...over the duration of the mix i try and reverse the eqs on each channel to give a clean smooth mix...I think this style helps when you don't know the key...needs to be done bfore the bassline kicks in on new track and it sounds like ass soup.

so being Mixed in key as feather said helps, i read a decent article about it and it said it was more noticeable in the vinyl mixes as opposed to flat trashy mp3s.

Sometimes a simple mix does the trick...but it feels pretty epic making a 2-3 minute transition.

end caffeine ramble.

Comment

• Michael^Heaven
                Platinum Poster
                • May 2008

Re:

First of all, knowing your equipment is key. Spend some time getting to know your mixer. Have a beer together!
                I bought a XONE 92 after using my Roland DJ2000 forever. I've had it for a while now & still haven't mastered all of its functions by far. Mainly because I only use vinyl & haven't scratched the surface regarding its digital applications.

Anyway, regarding the fader controls vs. the cross fader. That's sort of a user's choice, if you will. Some people use one or the other or both in some cases. I prefer the fader controls & have the cross fader disabled.

Regarding mixing, all of us that dj could devote several pages on that subject with ease, I'm sure. So many different techniques & styles depending on your level of expertise & comfort. Personally, I enjoy mixing in tracks in several diffferent ways within a mix. Whether it be turning down the bass & mid of the upcoming track & slowly turn them up as the track moves in. Or, synching up both bass lines in both tracks & slam the new one in using the cutoff switches, or ease the new track in with all of the levels matched up....on & on & on. There are just so many mixing options out there. That's what makes mixing so much fun, I suppose.

I would say just have fun, keep at it & enjoy. At least you're not just looking at a screen & pushing a sync button!

Comment

Working...