X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Your Collections

Prompted by a conversation I was having with J about his music collection... I'm interested to know what everyone here has and what they've invested?

Approx, how many cd's, records, tapes, whatever do you own? What kind of stereo's, speakers and how much have you invested into music overall?

Additionally, what is on your wish-lists in the event to start making a bunch of extra money one day?

I know we've been over this before, but it's time for an update, especially since nobody really visits the dj equipment section anymore.

It was fun while it lasted...
  • thebanned1
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • May 2009

Re: Your Collections

about 500 12".... a good 600+ cd's and growing... god knows how many mp3/wav files (paid for, not pirated)...over 2 grands worth of speakers and soundcard for the pc..... lots n lots of software for production....

i can put a price on what i,ve spent on money but i know people who have spent way more than me
    How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• Jenks
      I'm kind of a big deal.
      • Jun 2004

I've got about $4k in audio, split between my living room and my studio. 1200s, Allen & Heath, KRK, Mac for the studio; Yamaha networked amp, Boston towers, and Premier Acoustics sub power in the living room. I think i've got about 800-1000 vinyls, can't even begin to count CDs, as they're in bins in the basement- but I still own nearly every CD i've ever purchased since I was like 15...I'm 38...granted tho I haven't bought a CD in probably a decade, or whenever digital shops became mainstream. As far as digital music, I purged a lot awhile ago, as it's too easy to keep shit just for the sake of keeping it...you have to ask yourself, do I REALLY like this? What am I going to do with it? And with that I dumped a shitload of digital a year or so ago and i'm pretty picky about what I actually download or buy now. Especially nice that so many new apps like soundcloud and other technologies use Airplay- really helps just being able to stream it wirelessly to my audio gear without having to store it.

Comment

• GregWhelan
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

I probably have about 300 vinyl records, but stopped buying them about 7 years ago.

Definitely more CD's than that - I'm a bit of a collector. Have pretty much every GU and Renaissance release, plus all the various other cd's released such as the Bedrock presents etc. Away from EDM I have a lot of other cd's by artists such as U2, Coldplay, Pet Shop Boys.

In terms of equipment I dont have a hi-fi strangely. I have an iPod and a docking station/speaker which is good enough. I am in the market for a stereo system that can play cd's and also the iPod as I very rarely get the chance to play my cd's in the house (doesnt feel right playing them off my laptop).

Investment wise the best thing I ever bought was my iPod. £300 in 2003 and still going strong, gets used on a daily basis

Comment

• diegoff
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

I have a lot of cds, and more every week. Besides, I have a HIFI system (I'm looking after a better pair of speakers to upgrade the system), and I have a music production audio system (mac, nice multi-track sound card, extra video monitor, active audio monitors, effects, mixer, and acoustic treatment in the room I use for my hobby). I love music, it takes me away to nice mental places. I wish I could have some more time to dedicate to music production.
          It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
          Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
          May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• tiddles
            Encryption, Jr.
            • Jun 2004

I have two boxes of cds in the basement at my parents' house. Most of my favorites got put on the computer. I sold most of my guitars, but I think they're are a few of those around with amps, too. I've got one American Strat that I pop the neck off of and throw in my luggage. My life fits in two suitcases and even then it's all replaceable. Although I really miss loud tube amps

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
              Anyone have Styx livesets?
              • Jun 2004

around 800 cd's (and about 15 CD singles!!); a hundred or so cassettes

(too many mp3 livesets to mention)

Linn in my main system (sources, pre-amp, power amp) and ProAc speakers;

B&W Zeppelin and Audioengine 5 for smaller rooms and ipod/ Android connections.

wishlist: MOAR and better
              ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• gizze
                Gold Gabber
                • Jul 2010

I have got rid of lots of my CDs now. I don't have a CD player.
                Still have around 300 I guess.

My vinyl went as I just didn't have the room, was a big decision, but the stuff I really want I have on mp3 anyway, and I do border on being a hoarder, so have to let go of stuff.

I have gone through silly amounts of hi-fi, probably the most expensive system was Meridian processor, Classé Power amp, Dunlavy speakers, Meridian CD transport and Levison DAC. That lot totted up to around £23,000. It was built up through upgrades over 15-20 years though, and to be fair I had borrowed the DAC, that was not mine. But I then discovered Meridian DSP speakers, and bought a used pair of DSP5000s for £1500 for the bedroom, turned out they sounded better than the main system, so I sold the lot and bought another pair of DSP5000s and stuck £12,000 in the bank.

Currently got 2 pairs of Meridian DSP5000s and 2 Meridian F80 portable systems. Just sold a pair of those speakers for £575, which means I will probably never upgrade again, they are that good and such a bargain now. The newer version is £7000, the upgraded version the 7200 is £15,000 a pair, which is great is it means I have my upgrade bug out of the way.
                My Soundcloud page...
                GuyMiddleton's sounds on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

Comment

• Simeon
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jan 2010

more than 800 cd's.....2500+ vinyls.....
                  Denon Amp & Yamaha speakers
                  2xTechnics 1210MKII & Denon DNS 5000 & Pioneer DJM 500
                  From Balearic to Techno...

http://www.mixcloud.com/Simon_G/
                  http://soundcloud.com/geosim

Comment

Working...