He was actually charged with 2nd degree murder and manslaughter as a lesser included offense, and yes, I think the prosecution did hurt itself by overreaching with the charges. In essence, if you bring a gun to a fistfight and you start getting your ass kicked and you ramp it up by whipping out a gun and start shooting and someone dies as a result, that's manslaughter in most jurisdictions. Having to argue for murder 2 and the more culpable state of mind that accompanies it is a tough sell on these facts, though, and I think it hurt the prosecution's credibility. If they had just focused upon manslaughter, it makes it a lot easier for the jury to jump on board.
Zimmerman case
Collapse
X
-
Re: Zimmerman case
He was actually charged with 2nd degree murder and manslaughter as a lesser included offense, and yes, I think the prosecution did hurt itself by overreaching with the charges. In essence, if you bring a gun to a fistfight and you start getting your ass kicked and you ramp it up by whipping out a gun and start shooting and someone dies as a result, that's manslaughter in most jurisdictions. Having to argue for murder 2 and the more culpable state of mind that accompanies it is a tough sell on these facts, though, and I think it hurt the prosecution's credibility. If they had just focused upon manslaughter, it makes it a lot easier for the jury to jump on board. -
Re: Zimmerman case
He actually WAS charged with murder 2 and manslaughter, but he was acquitted on those charges. Even though he got off, he was indeed charged, which is just one of the first stages of a criminal proceeding.Comment
-
Comment
-
Comment
-
-
Re: Zimmerman case
^Really this is the best summary of this case I've seen sofar and I really agree with what he is saying 100%.
Zimmerman should have gotten off legally (due to evidence, or lack thereof), but it is a bad situation all around. I really hate the media making a single case like this into a big circus. Why don't they make the overwhelming gang crime that is a major reason why the USA is the #1 gun murder capitol of the civilized world a daily 24x7 story? I'm a liberal but I think it again has to to with the r word.Comment
Today's Birthdays
Collapse
[ms] Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 192,210
Posts: 1,238,525
Members: 53,135
Active Members: 32
Welcome to our newest member, jackfroster.



Comment