X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lopark
    Getting warmed up
    • Jun 2004

I take back everything good I said about Sony Headphones

I've had a pair of Sony MDR-700 headphones for about 3 years now...the ones that are notorious for breaking easily. I take super good care of them, as with all my gear. I used to argue that they weren't as fragile as everyone else claimed because I thought that no one else was as careful with their headphones as I am. Last week, I found these:

I don't how or when all this happened without me noticing. I managed to seal the cracks with superglue. I guess 3 years was a good run, but I think I'll be looking for a another brand of headphones in the future. Any suggestions?

• Yao
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Re: I take back everything good I said about Sony Headphones

3 years is a good IMO...no need to be looking for another brand I think. Never heard ppl saying their HP's lasted longer than 3 or 4 years, longer is an exception.
    Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• lopark
      Getting warmed up
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Yao
      3 years is a good IMO...no need to be looking for another brand I think. Never heard ppl saying their HP's lasted longer than 3 or 4 years, longer is an exception.
      I can understand that if you regularly gig with them. But these spent most of their life on my computer desk and I always took extra care of them. I just don't see how all that damage could happen unless they were dropped or banged around a lot.

Comment

• audiotherapy
        Addiction started
        • Jun 2004

my mdrv700 is doing the same thing

stupid sony designers....

Comment

• groffhibbitz
          Gold Gabber
          • Jun 2004

time to buy the sennheiser hd25 !!!

Comment

• chester
            Fresh Peossy
            • Mar 2005

broke mine w/in a year, sure i stepped on'm but damn how bout some quality control? since i spend most of my time in front of native instruments and dp i' picked the mdr-7509's they're ridiculous, my ears are bleeding as i write this, never used'm dj'ing soley production...highly recommended..

Comment

• elhadley
              Addiction started
              • Nov 2004

3 years is a long time for headphones especially if you use them every day :?
              There is no funk without the bass.

Comment

• Weizy
                MCast Resident DJ
                • Jun 2004

LoPark, let me know if you want to know how to fix these so that they will never break again...

I had the same problem, but with a few minutes and a couple of materials you can fix that problem ASAP

Comment

• audiotherapy
                  Addiction started
                  • Jun 2004

^^ share it with the community!!! i want to know too

Comment

• picklemonkey
                    Double hoodie beer monster
                    • Jun 2004

at least your dog didn't chew on them, like my roommate's dog did to my sony headphones

Comment

• lopark
                      Getting warmed up
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Weizy
                      LoPark, let me know if you want to know how to fix these so that they will never break again...

I had the same problem, but with a few minutes and a couple of materials you can fix that problem ASAP
                      Sure. Let's hear it.

Comment

• superdave
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2004

I'd like to hear how to not get them to break too.

Lopark, My 700s cracked too and I'm very non-abusive towards my headphones. Plus, the 700s, hurt my ears. I switched to the 7506's and no problems yet and my ears don't hurt.
                        Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• palmer
                          Retired or Simply Important
                          • Jun 2004

Sony is shit. Everything they make is cheap. I hate them. Too many horror stories and I've shared them multiple times. Boycott sony.
                          todayistomorrow
                          art direction | design | animation

Comment

• CSquare
                            Addiction started
                            • Jul 2004

get some sennheiser hd-25. i've beat the shit out of mine for years and they still look and sound great. also, all the pieces can be replaced. every one that i know with the mdrv700 have had them crack. they look cool but they just don't last.

Comment

• superEGO72
                              Getting Somewhere
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by CSquare
                              get some sennheiser hd-25. i've beat the shit out of mine for years and they still look and sound great. also, all the pieces can be replaced. every one that i know with the mdrv700 have had them crack. they look cool but they just don't last.
                              i completely agree!!

i had the sony's when i started djing and they only lasted about a year. i then used my listening headphones (also sonys) and they fell apart.. in a different way.

ive had the hd25's for about 2 years now. and the only thing that warrants replacing is one of the ear pads. usage wise, they have gotten pretty consistantly about 5-6 hours of djing per week and for the last 7 months or so - and additional 3-4 hours per day. i dont take care of them. i wrap up the cord, throw them in my bag and pull them out when i need them.

sennheiser makes all of their products modular, so you can order replacement pieces realyl easily. its like 10 dollars for a new set of ear pads.

the sound quality on these things is great too! for a work environment they keep everyone elses noise out and your noise in. they are clear and crisp. they even block enough outside noise to use for djing.

i will probably buy them again.

Comment

Working...