X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jibgolly
    Vortexuralizor
    • Jun 2004

I Hate COPS

so i'm sitting here watching the tv program 'COPS' and they're in Mesa (CA?)
    and their operation makes me want to fucking puke!!!!

this episode is a bicycle sting. what they're doing is having a female officer ride a bicycle up to a Walgreens and leave it out front unattended. and whoever steals the bike they arrest. the first person they nabbed was this real skinny white girl. they cornered her in the back of the store and basically treated her like an armed bank robber. they were man handling this girl. wrestling her to the ground and all. she wasnt even resisting. cant the cops stop real criminals? or do they meet their quotas by tricking people?

either way i'm disgusted that tax dollars are used this way.

[/end rant]
  • picklemonkey
    Double hoodie beer monster
    • Jun 2004

Re: I Hate COPS

I remember watching an episode where they set up a sting to catch dudes buying hookers. They were waiting in a hotel closet for the dudes to come in with the "hookers," and would bust 'em once they paid the money... but they were fucking cracking jokes and laughing in the closet the whole time! it was like playing a kid's game of cops and robbers meets hide and seek. They seriously were sitting in the closet talking about how funny it was going to be once they caught the dude

can they even do that? how can they claim that the dude was going to pay for prostitution, when the "prostitute" wasn't really a prostitute? fucking entrapment. get the killers for fuck's sake

and the hippies

Comment

• Jibgolly
      Vortexuralizor
      • Jun 2004

thats the other brand of sting that makes me want to puke. that kind of sting is on COPS all the time. in nearly every city they visit. but this bicycle thing is just taking it to far. its almost like they're twisting the arms of these people to turn them from honest to thieves. i dont like it.

Comment

• MJ
        Here since 2002
        • Jun 2004

Merchant bankers all of em. Over here the traffic cops haver adapted a new method for catching speeding motorist. They park a van on a minor road and sit in the back with a camera pointing out of the back window. Now i know we shouldn`t speed but is this really necessary, we have a static speed camera on vitualy every road there is. Wouldn`t thier time be better spent finding the real criminals?

Originally posted by Jibgolly
        mjwebhosting you know it makes sense

Silentium est aureum

Comment

• Jibgolly
          Vortexuralizor
          • Jun 2004

to a traffic cop a speeding driver is a criminal. cops, imo, are inbred politicians who couldnt cut it in city office.

Comment

• ecpolonyc
            Gold Gabber
            • Jun 2004

Facebook
            Soundcloud
            Resident Advisor
            ------------------------------

Comment

• shosh
              Banned
              • Jun 2004

smells like bacon in here... cops are fuckin idiots that are power trippin

Comment

• lopark
                Getting warmed up
                • Jun 2004

cant the cops stop real criminals?
                Like bicycle thieves? You don't consider theft a "real" crime? If they were busting some girl for smoking pot or something else that doesn't really hurt anyone else, I could understand this argument, but theft is most definitely a real crime that should be dealt with.

or do they meet their quotas by tricking people?
                I wouldn't consider what they're doing tricking people. A sting operation is usually started in a area with a history of criminal activity (there were probably bikes being stolen there on a regular basis.) Presenting an opportunity whereby someone commits a crime of their own initiative is not a trick. Now, if the police officer were standing by the bike and told the girl "Hey, wanna steal this bike?" That would be a different story, but if the girl stole a bike that just happened to be part of a sting operation, I don't have much sympathy for her.

Though I dislike some things police do, I usually give them the benfit of the doubt. Most of them are just regular joes doing their job. I know it looks differently on TV, but the show "COPS" tends to portray police in an overly aggressive light because everybody wants to be in the front of the camera so you sometimes have 8 officers arresting 1 suspect.

Sorry, but I'm taking the cops' side over the thief's this time.

Comment

• skahound
                  Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                  • Jun 2004

It's called entrapment. I'm not sure how the department got away with it, but as is so often true with the cases featured on COPS, the charges were probably dropped by the DA.
                  A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• Jibgolly
                    Vortexuralizor
                    • Jun 2004

hey i'm all for stopping a thief. whether it be a bicycle, car, or anything of value.
                    but when the cops set people up like this it bothers me.

Comment

• 3dx
                      Getting Somewhere
                      • Sep 2004

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Theft is theft. Speeding is speeding. Lopark is right, there usually is a history built before they go out to perform a sting operation. There is a speed trap right in front of my office, because it's a shortcut for people and they tend to race down the residential street that is under construction.

I do like an idea they do here locally. They put a crash test dummy dressed up like a cop in a cop car and park it on the side of the road. It slows down the traffic.

I've only gotten 1 speeding ticket in my life, but I was speeding... They don't give out tickets if you aren't speeding, or aren't drunk, or if you walk by an unlocked bike without stealing it.

I can understand being upset about rough handling of the girl in the story, I think a lot of their actions are a tad heavy-handed, but you have to keep in mind what kind of scum they deal with on a daily basis. This isn't to defend their actions, I believe that they could be a bit more gentle most of the time, but then what do you tell a gentle cop's wife after he's killed because he took something too lightly?

A couple cops got shot in front of my building (downtown) a month ago on a routine DWI stop. They didn't know the guy was wanted, nor did they know he was armed. I'm sure that if they were a bit more heavy handed with him, they wouldn't have got shot (they both lived, the guy wasn't so lucky).

It's a very delicate balancing act that has to be performed. It's a thin line with tons of grey area on both sides. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Overall, I respect the work they do, and am very happy to call a good number of them my friends.

<---Weee, post 100!
                      Todd

Comment

• lopark
                        Getting warmed up
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by skahound
                        It's called entrapment. I'm not sure how the department got away with it, but as is so often true with the cases featured on COPS, the charges were probably dropped by the DA.
                        No, entrapment is when the police lead you in to a crime. As if an undercover narcotics agent walked up and asked if you would like to buy some drugs. If you walk to the undercover and ask for drugs, it's not entrapment because the undercover did not initiate the crime.

The bicycle didn't ask the girl to steal it. Nor did anyone else. The cops merely left the bicycle in a place where the theft would appear to be easy. They didn't initiate the girl to steal the bike. She did it on her own, therefore not entrapment.

Comment

• chester
                          Fresh Peossy
                          • Mar 2005

good friday, easterdinner w/ the folks, cop comes to my door to collect an over due fine for a headlamp out. cop comes into my house and proceeds to lecture me about responsiblity in front of the my folks, for 45 minutes wouldn't leave, i'm 28 w/out anything remotely illegal about my lifestyle (uhhhh...) total harassment bullshit, f- the police, absolutely, yeah and did i mention f- the police.........

Comment

• superdave
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

I don't feel bad for that girl that tried to steal that bike. She did try to steal it which is a crime. It wouldn't be a problem if she wasn't trying to steal it and walked right on by.
                            Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• esef
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Jun 2004

either way i'm disgusted that tax dollars are used this way.
                              agree!

i wonder if our buddy osama bin laden watches cops and laughs at us too.

3-time Breakspoll nominated in the 'Best Website' category

Comment

Working...