• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gloomy
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

Driving to Spain

Hi all,

This weekend, I'm driving to Spain, Barcelona (from Belgium). Does anybody know how much tol I will have to pay in France? Are there other important things I need to know for the trip? What about speed limits and fines for speeding? How's the tollerance in France? Or can I just print out the route, and give full trottle? Plz, share your experiences peepz :wink:

Thanx,

Gloomy
  • Morgan
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Re: Driving to Spain

Beware of the French.

You could try www.theaa.com it is a UK site but i believe there is a european section, which will give you a route and info on tolls etc.
    "Pain is only weakness leaving the body."

Comment

• Kinetic
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Gloomy
      Hi all,

This weekend, I'm driving to Spain, Barcelona (from Belgium). Does anybody know how much tol I will have to pay in France? Are there other important things I need to know for the trip? What about speed limits and fines for speeding? How's the tollerance in France? Or can I just print out the route, and give full trottle? Plz, share your experiences peepz :wink:

Thanx,

Gloomy
      Dude, I don?t really remember an exact value, but the tolls in France are the most expensive in the whole of Europe. Don?t be surprised if you pay something like 150 Euro to cross the country. Or more...

Also, on the highways with tolls the speed limit is 130km/h. On freeways it?s between 90 and 110.

They usually tolerate if you ago around 10km/h above the limit, but if you go beyond that, you?ll see that the tolls aren?t the only expensive thing there...

Anyway, until last January I was working for a transport company in Spain, maybe I can help you out, since I made a lot of trips from Madrid to Koln in Germany, Charleville in France, which are all near Belgian borders.

If you give me an idea of how much time you have for the trip, I might even tell you how to cross France paying minimum to no tolls at all.
      "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
      http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

• maxman
        Addiction started
        • Jun 2004

About 100 - 150 Euro is a fair estimation of the toll that you pay.

Personally, I've always driven like a madman through France (av. of 160 - 180 km when possible). And never one ticket. The only thing I've heard about is they check your toll ticket at the end and can then calculatye your average speed over the whole distance.

So plan your stops somewhere halfway every tollway. The restrooms are usually clean and it will bring your average speed down. It has always worked for me and I've driven at least 50 times from Holland to either France or Spain over the last years....

Which is not a guarantee by the way
        My life is full of dark times and times when the sun breaks through and makes everything okay again.
        People don't know how uplifting music is, until they have been through the dark.

Markus Schulz

Comment

• Gloomy
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2004

thx for the info so far

I tried out mappy.be to calculate the tolls, and it gave me 58 ? for france and 9 ? for spain ... but seems like prices are much higher in reality :?

But I've heard that 'routes nationales' are a good alternative to avoid the tolls.

Anywaym I'll follow further replies here.

Comment

• Kinetic
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by maxman
            About 100 - 150 Euro is a fair estimation of the toll that you pay.

Personally, I've always driven like a madman through France (av. of 160 - 180 km when possible). And never one ticket. The only thing I've heard about is they check your toll ticket at the end and can then calculatye your average speed over the whole distance.

So plan your stops somewhere halfway every tollway. The restrooms are usually clean and it will bring your average speed down. It has always worked for me and I've driven at least 50 times from Holland to either France or Spain over the last years....

Which is not a guarantee by the way
            This is all good advice and I can confirm it. It was a bit more troublesome to me because I was always driving a transport van (Mercedes Sprinter) with a Spanish license plate, so I wlways felt like they kept a closer eye on the likes of me than anyone else

www.viamichelin.com is the site I always use for this kind of planning.

Using the routes nationales is a good idea, like I said before, the only disadvantage being that there?s usually huge ammounts of trucking traffic, which means that you could have to spend half an hour chugging along behind a huge truck if you?re unlucky.

One other thing : if at all possible, avoid getting near Paris (yes, it?s hard), they have a something similar to the "rings" you have around most cities in Belgium, but it?s nothing more that a bunch of national roads glued together with really bad driving directions, which is called "La Francilienne", be careful there, because if you by any mistake get closer to Paris than that...

I never went the way of Barcelona, but I can recommend you trying to follow route nationale 20 (N20) for as long as you can, after Paris. A good part of the Highway 20 (A20) is also toll-free, if I remember correctly.
            "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
            http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

• MJ
              Here since 2002
              • Jun 2004

bump
              mjwebhosting you know it makes sense

Silentium est aureum

Comment

• maxman
                Addiction started
                • Jun 2004

[quote="KineticThis is all good advice and I can confirm it. It was a bit more troublesome to me because I was always driving a transport van (Mercedes Sprinter) with a Spanish license plate, so I wlways felt like they kept a closer eye on the likes of me than anyone else[/quote]

You really think having a Dutch license plate is really better to have in France??? Got stopped over last weekend by the police, at the start of the route p?age, and guess whqt - only Dutch people got pulled over... Could it be our (in)famous policy on soft drugs?
                My life is full of dark times and times when the sun breaks through and makes everything okay again.
                People don't know how uplifting music is, until they have been through the dark.

Markus Schulz

Comment

• Bululu
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Jun 2004

Hey Gloomy , try using Mappy its the best site you can find to plan your car travlling , it can even give you the roads where you dont pay any toll , give it a try and play with the option a little bit you will see its very useful.

cheers

Comment

• DreamGirlie
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

have a great time!
                    "Welcome to Hezbollah phone line, for terrorist supplies press 1."

Comment

Working...