Comment

• hypoluxxa
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

Re: This is what caused me to stop liking all new EDM

Originally posted by Barn Dog
        It looks like you're going about it all wrong
        okay, I'll bite... why?

Mind you when I say all, I mean everything that comes out. Not everything period. With that being said, I've liked very little since 2005.
        That's all.

Comment

• hypoluxxa
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by floridaorange
          I hear ya Al.
          Sad.... I even stopped spinning years ago. Anyway good to talk to you again!!!!!

Comment

• Illuminate
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Aug 2009

Even before I watch the Trentemoller track, I'm just going to ask; was this specific track that made it worse?

I never had any issues with Trentemoller, thought he was pretty brilliant live.

I feel as if though EDM can never stay the same obviously enough, people get older, and bolder and for artists to continue to make a career out of it, they obliviously need to cater for the up and coming generation. It's a tough one, but you know there are still some wicked artists, songs, etc. etc.

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
            Sbando
            - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
            Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
            Bob
            "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
            the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
            KiwiTollway

Comment

• Troklo
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

I like trentemøller specially his older stuff.
              As stated before music has to change in order to stay fresh. What sounds innovative and cutting edge right now might sound cheesy and tacky in a couple of yeas time, I guess it just depends on what rocks you boat.
              For me the last couple of years have been excellent music wise, things slowed down and we got some pretty amazing baselines.
              Hope you find you way back because you're missing out on a lot of good music.
              Quiero brincar al agua para caer al cielo

Comment

• feather
                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                • Jul 2004

I was listening to The Field's new album today and thought it's pretty good for what's new music, in the context of this thread (not comparing it with his old stuff, etc).

https://soundcloud.com/kompakt/cupids-head

Trentemoller has gotten progressively weirder/different from when we first heard him. I still prefer his old stuff.

I don't get 'Do What You Do' at all. How do you go from atmospheric, lush instrumentation and vocals to 16-Bit video game music?

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• simonr
                  Transitionator
                  • Jun 2004

2005 was the worst for electronic music with that Electro phase .. which was then followed by minimal.

Music evolves and changes, and the producers/labels (and taste) change. Where DJs the end up after this is interesting, as Sasha's sound is now very dar away from the music he was playing back in the GU days.

Listening to Dixon's Essential Mix in some ways I'm happy that things have changed ... back in the pog days many tried to imitate the sound. Now we have more diversity.

The first 2 hours Digweed played at Tox Club in ibiza was a dark and intense as 2000 .... its just that he didn't have the NYC Twilo era records and a fresh batch of Breeder music ... he had the latest batch of new music that he was road testing. John was on top of his game and it was a privilege to hear.
                  sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• hypoluxxa
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Illuminate
                    Even before I watch the Trentemoller track, I'm just going to ask; was this specific track that made it worse?

I never had any issues with Trentemoller, thought he was pretty brilliant live.

I feel as if though EDM can never stay the same obviously enough, people get older, and bolder and for artists to continue to make a career out of it, they obliviously need to cater for the up and coming generation. It's a tough one, but you know there are still some wicked artists, songs, etc. etc.
                    It was this track that made me feel like a huge needle had just gone across a record. Not saying anything bad about who made it, produced it, remixed it. The sound just changed abruptly. It was completely different than all the other experiences that I had before as far as EDM.
                    I still remember how I felt the first time I heard Leftfield, the orb, underworld, the prodigy, breeder, slacker, voyager, etc, etc...
                    I didn't expect music to stay the same, I guess I expected it to not leave me so abruptly.

Comment

• trick12
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Jul 2007

just stay away from the shit...theres lots of great new stuff out, esp these past 2 yrs..
                      Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

• Troklo
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2004

Check out Guy J's Balance, I think you'll enjoy that one
                        Quiero brincar al agua para caer al cielo

Comment

• audrey_w
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by trick12
                          just stay away from the shit...theres lots of great new stuff out, esp these past 2 yrs..
                          ^ word

Comment

• floridaorange
                            I'm merely a humble butler
                            • Dec 2005

I think a persons enthusiasm for EDM in particular is mostly correlated with the amount that person is going out with friends and having fun nights out. We connect the older sounds with fun because we were young, naive, carefree and going out every weekend. Having shit weekends and having amazing ones too. I dunno about you but I don't go out and dance much anymore. A lot of that has to do with that article that was posted about the end of djing. I think a Dj is probably only as enthusiastic as his passion for his craft and his time invested crate digging or discovering new tunes.

Those are just my thoughts. Al have you listed to Digweeds Punta Del Este set?
                            Last edited by floridaorange; October 3, 2013, 08:12:55 AM.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• unkle
                              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by simonr

2005 was the worst for electronic music with that Electro phase .. which was then followed by minimal.

Agree,

I think, half of 2004 till 2007-2008 or so, was a very bad era,
                              the transition between the classic progress into the electro-minimal
                              sound was a complete disaster, too much noise everywhere
                              and very low quality tracks released in that period, obviously
                              there are exceptions but in general, for me, was very hard to
                              find good tracks. fortunately thats change and we can find
                              amazing music today.

Comment

Working...