• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • da hype
    Getting Somewhere
    • Dec 2009

Re: This is what caused me to stop liking all new EDM

Originally posted by simonr
    2005 was the worst for electronic music with that Electro phase .. which was then followed by minimal.

you can blame Lawler for that one....i remeber seeing him at Lights Out down WMC and his set was mostly 90% electro. thanks got this was a 2 year phase for him

Comment

• tribalcho
      Gold Gabber
      • May 2008

I remember Lemon8 or some other famous producer said that every 3 years the crowd and the trend in electronic music both change ...

I must agree with that statement (at least of what i have seen and heard here in Bulgaria)..When i started to listen to electronic music back in 2000 almost all of the DJs here played TECHNO (Jeff Mills,Dave Clarke,Adam Beyer and similar type of sound),others few played progressive and tribal house..goa trance and drum'n' bass were popular too..In 2003-4 things started to change and house music became more popular in da clubs - mainly funky progressive sound (Masiello,Omid 16 B,Rowan Blades type of sound) and techno was played on the big parties..(Carl Cox @ Festivalna Hall in December 2004 - WHAT A NIGHT!!! WHAT A NIGHT!!)..Electro took the clubs here by storm in the next few years (2005-2006-2007) but you can check out some sets from Dance Club Mania and from Plazma in Plovdiv to see that progressive/tribal sound still was the preferable one..Funny thing is that it wasn't until 2005 when this commercial sound known as TRANCE became popular here (thats when was Tiesto's first gig in Sofia)... Minimal era (2007-2008-2009) changed everything here..minimal was the most popular electronic music genre since old classic techno here,i must admit..it was absolutely everywhere - from small clubs to big raves..2009-2011 - tech house was the dominating sound at the clubs..2011-till now - deep house and nu disco/indie dance type of sound are dominating underground clubs..big parties (Solar Summer @ Cacao Beach) are dominated by EDM (Guetta,Fedde Le Grand) and trance (Tiesto,Armin Van Burren),but i must say that probably last few years are the best for electronic music couse we have so much options and good music from all the different genres =)

What i have learned from the DJs i like and follow over the years is exactly that - music evolves constantly so we must evolve too..there will be always good and bad music..but if you have created some criteria for ur musical preferences in that time it will be much easier for you to discover all the new good joints hehe

btw i love the electro-proggy era of electronic music..one of my fav sets of all time is Digweed's set from Homelands in 2005..so much energy in that set..=)

http://www.mixcloud.com/Antarez_86/john-digweed-live-homelands-festival-28052005/
      Last edited by tribalcho; September 18, 2013, 09:19:10 AM.
      GOING TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Todor Kalev - Bringing Back The Old School (Feb 201 by Todor Kalev | Mixcloud

Antarez on hearthis.at

Antarez - DJ Sets And Mixes | listen to music and sounds on hearthis.at

Comment

• nelinho
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Sep 2011

Is a change of genre too subtle as opposed to a complete abandonment?

Your decision obviously and it was made to please you not me.

Peace.

Flo-j i think there is an inverse relationship between age and bpm? In saying that the commercial dance stuff isn't banging out over 125bpm anyway.

The more I type the less sense I make.

Tired.

Comment

• djkix
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2004

You mean you don't like boink boink boink bleepety bleepy bzzzzzz gzzzzz ddruzzzdafoiajfasdjhfeoiaoidsjfadsjflkasdjf????

Comment

• djkix
            Addiction started
            • Jun 2004

For me, Sasha commited the sin back in 2004 when he started playing Felix Da Housecat - Watching Cars Go By which brought prog rock into prog house... and that gave way to the electro mess for the next few years. Digweed kind of lost it for me from 2005-2006 but came back really strong in 2007 (remember the Warehouse Project Ess Mix?) and generally has remained true to his sound even til now (give or take a few pluses and minues). Sasha OTOH... I still listen to him occasionally but he moved away too much from my comfort zone. The vibe's not the same anymore.

Comment

• Rawrmune
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by tribalcho
              I remember Lemon8 or some other famous producer said that every 3 years the crowd and the trend in electronic music both change ...

I must agree with that statement (at least of what i have seen and heard here in Bulgaria)..When i started to listen to electronic music back in 2000 almost all of the DJs here played TECHNO (Jeff Mills,Dave Clarke,Adam Beyer and similar type of sound),others few played progressive and tribal house..goa trance and drum'n' bass were popular too..In 2003-4 things started to change and house music became more popular in da clubs - mainly funky progressive sound (Masiello,Omid 16 B,Rowan Blades type of sound) and techno was played on the big parties..(Carl Cox @ Festivalna Hall in December 2004 - WHAT A NIGHT!!! WHAT A NIGHT!!)..Electro took the clubs here by storm in the next few years (2005-2006-2007) but you can check out some sets from Dance Club Mania and from Plazma in Plovdiv to see that progressive/tribal sound still was the preferable one..Funny thing is that it wasn't until 2005 when this commercial sound known as TRANCE became popular here (thats when was Tiesto's first gig in Sofia)... Minimal era (2007-2008-2009) changed everything here..minimal was the most popular electronic music genre since old classic techno here,i must admit..it was absolutely everywhere - from small clubs to big raves..2009-2011 - tech house was the dominating sound at the clubs..2011-till now - deep house and nu disco/indie dance type of sound are dominating underground clubs..big parties (Solar Summer @ Cacao Beach) are dominated by EDM (Guetta,Fedde Le Grand) and trance (Tiesto,Armin Van Burren),but i must say that probably last few years are the best for electronic music couse we have so much options and good music from all the different genres =)

What i have learned from the DJs i like and follow over the years is exactly that - music evolves constantly so we must evolve too..there will be always good and bad music..but if you have created some criteria for ur musical preferences in that time it will be much easier for you to discover all the new good joints hehe

btw i love the electro-proggy era of electronic music..one of my fav sets of all time is Digweed's set from Homelands in 2005..so much energy in that set..=)

http://www.mixcloud.com/Antarez_86/john-digweed-live-homelands-festival-28052005/
              Thanks for the share, never heard this before. Very edgy mix.

Comment

• feather
                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                • Jul 2004

Check out Cattaneo's Resident, Warren's Delta FM and Guy J's Nocturne.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Djurba
                  Fresh Peossy
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by floridaorange
                  I think a persons enthusiasm for EDM in particular is mostly correlated with the amount that person is going out with friends and having fun nights out. We connect the older sounds with fun because we were young, naive, carefree and going out every weekend.
                  +1 . Old stuff was brilliant , but I found new era of electro music even better when it comes to quality of sound and melody , maybe parties and gigs were better in past, they had that " undergound " scent , today is uhmm somehow kitsch ? And have you listened

Comment

• floridaorange
                    I'm merely a humble butler
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by feather
                    whoa

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• feather
                      Shanghai ooompa loompa
                      • Jul 2004

Yeah There're two threads in GYY talking about today's EDM, which I get, but I also think just listening to those 3 sets indicate there're still some strong prog music out there. Digweed is definitely no longer as melodic as what we think of prog but Warren, Cattaneo, Guy J, Wisternoff, Saiz of course, I think they're all still carrying the torch.

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• floridaorange
                        • Dec 2005

^Agreed.

Wish Chloe was still banging out house mixes instead of experimental ambient. Oh well. Can't have everything exactly how we want it sometimes.

Comment

• feather
                          Shanghai ooompa loompa
                          • Jul 2004

Yeah what happened to Chloe anyway, did she stop DJing too?

Comment

• floridaorange
                            • Dec 2005

Actually she had a baby in August I believe . But she is back dj'ing now... under the moniker - Raica

new album - Review: Raica - Lucent Glances | Juno Plus

chloeharris's sounds on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

http://soundcloud.com/foxydigitalis/raica-gulped

Comment

• feather
                              Shanghai ooompa loompa
                              • Jul 2004

Ah, didn't know that, thanks!

Comment

• jay813
                                Platinum Poster
                                • May 2005

Originally posted by floridaorange
                                whoa

link to DL?

Comment

Working...